Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Baja Bronco

Casey

I didn't see much different between the forthcoming Revell Baja Bronco and the existing Revell Ford Bronco kit, but after looking at enlarged images, there are a few noteworthy changes:

1. Hexagonal wheel arches with integral fender flares
  2. New tires (anyone recognize them to be a replica of a real tire?)
  3. Newly engraved nameplate above the front side marker lights(?)

Instruction sheet is up and downloadable: http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4436.pdf

Pics of the new Baja Bronco and the existing Ford Bronco, for comparison:

BajaBronco85-4436.jpg

RevFordBronco854320.jpg

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I like the new wheels - maybe - if they are correct size. They look deeper than the first set. 

The wheels are definitely larger in diameter than those in the first kit, but the tires look kind of funky to me, especially the heavy sidewall ribs. Maybe there's something else coming which will also use these tires?

Oh the irony, Revell!  You made a new body tool for the Baja Bronco release but it's literally useless if somebody wants to make an accurate Baja Bronco!  The most accurate Stroppe Baja body is still made with the original release's stock body and rear fender flares.  On the front, you can sand off a little of the lower front openings to replicate the rolling that Stroppe's shop did.  But at least the new body is a great starting point for making a Bronco with larger tires that wouldn't fit under the stock openings.

29 minutes ago, Chief Joseph said:

Oh the irony, Revell!  You made a new body tool for the Baja Bronco release but it's literally useless if somebody wants to make an accurate Baja Bronco!  The most accurate Stroppe Baja body is still made with the original release's stock body and rear fender flares.  On the front, you can sand off a little of the lower front openings to replicate the rolling that Stroppe's shop did.  But at least the new body is a great starting point for making a Bronco with larger tires that wouldn't fit under the stock openings.

Yeah, kind of a fail, it appears. The box art Bronco does NOT have front flares, but the photo of the model above shows front flares.

Mine is sitting at home unopened, so I will take a look and post some photos this evening. 

Edited by Erik Smith

So, front fender flares: yes

Wheels are (besides the fact I hate the new die cast style mounting flange) nice - deep steelies with good lug detail. They will probably look a lot better stripped and repainted. Chrome sprue still includes the “baby” hubcaps...

The new tires are pretty cool. Definitely better than the first go.

I don’t know if anything else is different

561C6A9B-0414-48FE-ACB2-61045CC934A3.jpeg

5A96A9C6-A936-4AC4-8257-B6A1F906C012.jpeg

3FE8440C-9F79-4305-835C-F2CCAA0DB24F.jpeg

D00B09C9-F673-48B6-A1A3-EF51379BA66B.jpeg

84B5E1F6-5E67-4B78-B8AA-43AD282191E8.jpeg

On 1/31/2018 at 9:26 PM, Daddyfink said:

Even the Stroppe Race versions didn't have the front flares

I'm guessing Revell based their kit upon a real Bronco which had the flares, and a quick Goolgle search turns up at least one wearing the flares and also equipped with Gates Commando XT tires as Erik mentioned above. The sidewall ribs look a bit too heavy/thick to me, but maybe that can be toned down a bit via some sanding. 

I'm perfectly at ease with fender flares at both ends, as having them at one end only looks imbalanced. While that may not be correct for a factory Stroppe Bronco, I doubt the handful of people who bought the kit intending to build it exactly that way will be too turned off.

Erik, could we get an O.D. measurement of the wheels at the lip, where they poke through the tires, please?

Note too, the the '71 Bronco in the photo, has the stock air cleaner, not the chromed pie pan that is in the Baja Bronco kit. Going to be some very interesting kit bashes in the next few months.

Too bad the Bronco in "Romancing the Stone" is an '84. Be neat to build a replica of the "Little Mule".

17 minutes ago, alexis said:

Note too, the the '71 Bronco in the photo, has the stock air cleaner, not the chromed pie pan that is in the Baja Bronco kit. Going to be some very interesting kit bashes in the next few months.

Too bad the Bronco in "Romancing the Stone" is an '84. Be neat to build a replica of the "Little Mule".

With some creative interpretation, this should work. But who makes the decals?

Related image

Related image