[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

    • Dave Ambrose

      Urgent Maintenance   07/18/2018

      I will be taking the board offline some time this evening to solve an urgent server issue. Don't have an estimated duration, but it shouldn't take too long. Sorry for the short notice, but we're in a bind here. 
Sign in to follow this  
robertmay

Estes Garage

Recommended Posts

I have an Estes garage that I will never use. I have started it. The floor has been painted gray, I've assembled the tool box and compressor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a display case with two sides that replicate the inside of a garage.  Estes, the model rocket company, made them in 1/24 and 1/43 scales.  Unfortunately, for the tools (compressor, engine hoist, tool boxes, other items) Estes cribbed some aftermarket items.  The company that created those items sued Estes, with part of the settlement being that the tooling for these kits had to be destroyed.  No more of them will be made.  Look up "Estes Great Garages", you should be able to find pictures and information about them.

The 1/43 scale garage is by far the more common of the two.  Those included a diecast car: a Viper or a (?) Corvette.  The larger one didn't include a car.  They're pretty well done, it's a shame they saw fit to copy another company's work rather than doing a little research and doing their own stuff; maybe they'd still be making products like this.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, almost looks like the Fujimi Garage kits. 

So, what are you looking for in trade?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daddyfink said:

Cool, almost looks like the Fujimi Garage kits. 

So, what are you looking for in trade?

 

I think that's where the tools and accessories came from, some of the Fujimi sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

I think that's where the tools and accessories came from, some of the Fujimi sets.

I know for sure that the Testors Garage was the Fujimi re-boxed. Wasn't Estes once part of Testors?

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I think that's where the tools and accessories came from, some of the Fujimi sets.

R$D Unique is who got a lot of stuff copied and went after them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert, I have the same question as Sam Freeman. What scale is the Estes Garage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is 1/24. I'm interested in Ferrari Boxers and/or Lamborghini Muira. 1/24 or 1/25 scale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That must have been a quick legal action.  I remember when those Great Garages came out, around 2004???.  Found one in Wal-Mart, IIRC, and bought it.  Then I went looking for a second one.  No soap; they couldn't be found anywhere, not in any hobby shops or on-line. 

Wal-Mart still has a place-holder web page for them, saying "No Longer Available."  No kidding.  The second link below is a thread from That Other Model Car Magazine, with some more information:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Garages-1-24-scale-model-display-kit/3794

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/general_discussion/f/3/t/19537.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one I have (1/24 scale) has a 2000 copyright date on it.  I too bought one at WM (only place around here that had them).  After returning a couple of them with various issues (damaged parts) I just got a refund.  Then I heard about the legal dispute and gave up on it.  It was the R&D Unique stuff that was copied for the Estes kits.  I did find another one for cheap a couple of years ago...everything in this one is intact, nothing damaged or missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hands down the BEST garage kit ever made at an affordable price. Too bad that was shut down and no more to be made..Kinda ironic R&D Unique is no longer around now. They shoulda' obtained the estes tooling instead of having it destroyed and mass produced it themselves since it was their tool patterns that were copied.  I got / built one back in 2000 and have been looking for another ever since for all the stuff to put in a diorama I've been working on for years....The tools / equipment in it are better than the Fujimi kit..This was the only american made garage / tool kit that I know of and it rocked!

Man, I'd be interested in yours here, but you never went into specifics here of what you wanted in return for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2018 at 9:27 PM, robertmay said:

Mine is 1/24. I'm interested in Ferrari Boxers and/or Lamborghini Muira. 1/24 or 1/25 scale. 

 

3 hours ago, Rotorbolt73 said:

Hands down the BEST garage kit ever made at an affordable price. Too bad that was shut down and no more to be made..Kinda ironic R&D Unique is no longer around now. They shoulda' obtained the estes tooling instead of having it destroyed and mass produced it themselves since it was their tool patterns that were copied.  I got / built one back in 2000 and have been looking for another ever since for all the stuff to put in a diorama I've been working on for years....The tools / equipment in it are better than the Fujimi kit..This was the only american made garage / tool kit that I know of and it rocked!

Man, I'd be interested in yours here, but you never went into specifics here of what you wanted in return for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sorta explains the lack of instructions for some of the power tools and such. I have two of the 1/24 scale garage kits, and both of them have more parts than instructions! Guess I'll wing it!! One of my kits came from Hobby Lobby, and the other is from eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bucky, I can scan the 1/43 scale instructions for you. Seem to be about the same. Drop me a PM if that would help you out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2018 at 11:27 PM, robertmay said:

Mine is 1/24. I'm interested in Ferrari Boxers and/or Lamborghini Muira. 1/24 or 1/25 scale. 

Don't have either. closest I have is a old 1/24 Testors Lamborghini  countach 5000S. Started on it 30 years ago but never finished.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this