Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any body watching Barrett-Jackson ?

I enjoy watching BJ and Mecum both. While I have always leaned toward Mecum and have even sold a truck thru them here in KC I was amazed at some of the good prices in the early days of the auction at BJ . There were many cars out of most peoples reach, but they had any more that seemed better priced then what I have seen at Mecum. Always interesting to watch all of the great cars.

My boss is there right now; said no money to buy this year but still worth it for the show. I'll agree with that; it was worth the price of admission to have seen (1) Reggie Jackson get booed by the audience when he started to gripe about his cars not hitting reserve, and (2) Jay Leno getting pissed off at the bidders when a charity car he was guest-auctioneering wasn't getting bid up enough.

Checked the Automobilia docket and there aren't any great models; about all they have is a case of new-in-the-box '82 Corvette promos. They did have a duplicate of my childhood pedal car:

5a62ce672971f_dudewagon.jpg.ea525356e3fee0d81d1087cecd3636db.jpg

I love it all, but personally, I'd want to go on the first night or two; Wednesday or whatever. Those cars are still nice, but have reasonable prices. Cars I wouldn't be afraid to take out for a cruise.

I've seen a couple of BJ cars. One was immaculate, one was a great 20ft car, and needed a lot of work to get it right..

I live about 10 miles from where they have the Barrett-Jackson auction and I have never been to it in person. I do watch. I think they favor certain sellers and definitely put the best cars up on Saturday. More money spent and bid on Saturdays. I actually prefer cars I can drive and maybe come close to affording, which is why I prefer the Mecum actions, more realistic.