Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stock up on Humbrol Paints now!

Humbrol paints had their "run" here in the States back in the 80's ( c.1984-c.1988 ) via support from Monogram (whose kit's instructions included Humbrol names and numbers) . I remember liking Humbrol at that time ; however , their price-point was off markedly , especially their "mini" aerosol paints (which yielded great results but were expensive for their diminutive size --- again , price-point) .

This news definitely stinks for our fellow plastic fanatics in Europe , etc. 

Humbrol isn't easy to get in the USA.  I'm lucky to have a local shop (Section 8 Hobbies in Buffalo) that carries an extensive selection of the tinlets.  I was told it's the only place in a 75 mile radius with it, and I don't doubt that.  I was unsuccessful in several attempts at airbrushing it, but I still paint a lot of things with a brush.  For that I prefer Humbrol and use it whenever possible.  Covers well, brush strokes level out well, and dries hard/not sticky like some other enamels.

They work best when you store them upside down, heat them and stir them for at least five minutes before use, and thin them with proper enamel thinner.
I still use them extensively for detailing and painting pretty much anything that isn't a body. Yes, with brushes.

They are very densly pigmented, especially their reds provide marvellous covering. Reds are often quite scumbling, not so the Humbrols.

Spray painting them was always though, I gave up on it after a few unsuccessful tries.

Thanks for the tip, Christian, I will definitely stock up now. 

Humbrol has always been my favorite brand for brush painting, thanks to the attributes you mention above. I've tried the other known brands but they don't compete IMO.

The one disadvantage is the lack of a pure white.

Ahhh, no! Not Humbrol paints, i've still got a few tinlets that i got off my uncle that are from the 60s i think, and they are still totally usable! I have a reasonably good stock of them, gloss 19 and chrome silver are the worst Humbrol paints, they clog up the lid in no time and then you can't shut it properly and the paint dries up.

Edited by Project X

On 1/20/2018 at 3:14 PM, 1972coronet said:

Humbrol paints had their "run" here in the States back in the 80's

They were popular here in the 1970s in their original formulation and labeling (Authentic Colours). I used to get them at Gateway Hobbies on w. 38th St., in Manhattan or at Jan's Hobby Shop, on the Upper East Side. I still have in the neighborhood of 60-70 45+ year old tins which are still good.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, SfanGoch said:

They were popular here in the 1970s in their original formulation and labeling (Authentic Colours). I used to get them at Gateway Hobbies on w. 38th St., in Manhattan or at Jan's Hobby Shop, on the Upper East Side. I still have in the neighborhood of 60-70 45+ year old tins which are still good.

I wasn't aware of Humbrol until late 1984 , and even then only because of the Monogram tie-in . Heck , I didn't know about Bare Metal Foil until 1985 ! I was driven crazy by the box art builds whose chrome trim actually looked like plated parts ! 

2 hours ago, Junkman said:

That's why you should store them upside down.

Or wipe clean the lid and the lip of a can before closing.  Takes few seconds and works great.

I never store paints upside down. No matter how hard you shake it, some of the pigment ends up stuck to the can/lid/bottle neck/cap. It is really messy and if you clean it, you are removing pigment every time you open the bottle.