[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Urgent Maintenance   07/18/2018

I will be taking the board offline some time this evening to solve an urgent server issue. Don't have an estimated duration, but it shouldn't take too long. Sorry for the short notice, but we're in a bind here. 
Sign in to follow this  
65slotcar

polished aluminum on wheels

looking for best method  to replicate  polished aluminum   on  wheel rims.  Has  anyone tried   C1-metalizer?

thanks,

Bill

IMG_0070.JPG

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Alclad Polished Aluminum.

Steve

Yup. 

I actually don’t know how much difference there is between polished aluminum and regular chrome at 1:25 scale, especially on a small part like a wheel. I’ve never sprayed them side by side to compare...

2 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Yup. 

I actually don’t know how much difference there is between polished aluminum and regular chrome at 1:25 scale, especially on a small part like a wheel. I’ve never sprayed them side by side to compare...

There is not a huge difference.

But, the polished aluminum would most likely look better in this application.

Steve

thanks  Steve,    i picked some  alcad II   gloss black  base  , polished  aluminum  and   airframe  aluminum  to try out  .  will try to get some results posted.   going for  the dirty side of polished aluminum  since  rims are for a 60's race car.  

My go to for polished aluminum is rattle can chrome - either type, auto parts store or craft store - sometimes available in the small cans - not really as bright as chrome so it makes a good polished aluminum -easier than Alclad and a durable finish that can take some handling during assembly.  covers well, minimal prep.  There is a slight variation between brands.  Someday I will try Alclad for a comparison, but for now happy with rattle can chrome.

Edited by Muncie

1 hour ago, 65slotcar said:

thanks  Steve,    i picked some  alcad II   gloss black  base  , polished  aluminum  and   airframe  aluminum  to try out  .  will try to get some results posted.   going for  the dirty side of polished aluminum  since  rims are for a 60's race car.  

I wouldn't bother with the gloss base for the polished aluminum Alclad.

Just a basic primer will give you a better aluminum finish.

with a gloss base, it becomes too much like chrome.

Steve

will  test  on junk wheels,  wheels should have little shine.

IMG_0028 (1).JPG

You might want to try Alclad "Dark Aluminum" for that.

Polished aluminum will be brighter.

Steve