Model Cars Magazine Forum

As a break from building shiny things, I decided to take on the Bandai Y-Wing kit I picked up at a local comic book store a few months ago. The detail on this kit is astounding as is the engineering... it's a snap-fit kit that has the smallest panel gaps and best parts fit of ANY model I've ever seen. Bandai uses a nifty technology that allows them to mold several colors onto one tree, so the kit can look pretty good for a relatively inexperienced modeler right out of the box. The Y is pretty complicated as all the "plumbing" of the movie model is done as separate parts, which adds a level of depth to the model that it would never have if this stuff was molded in place. The fiddly fit of these pieces is further complicated by the extremely tight tolerances... a few layers of paint really make a difference in how everything fits!

Paint is custom mixes of Tamiya colors over Tamiya grey primer. I did the panel lines, wash on the mechanical bits and streaking with Testors Model Master oil wash. Finally I used Tamiya Weathering Master pastels to bring out highlights.  Enjoy!

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG