Model Cars Magazine Forum

Faking Denim?

On 1/22/2018 at 5:00 PM, crazyjim said:

How about several shades of flat blue and dry brushing?

Thanks guys, I'm going to try the paint trick and keep the download and print to decal paper in mind. Tricky part will be that I want to have it look like green denim instead of blue, since I want to paint the car that Model Master Lime Green Metallic Lacquer.

Without seeing a picture of what you want, I have to assume it's regular blue jeans.

Have you tried using fine screen as a mask?  In my example, I wanted to mimic the cloth used by MINI that was a space age looking cloth.  I sprayed flat black first, then aluminum.  I used a fine brass screen, bent to form as close as possible, and did a quick squirt of the second color.  I would think dark blue first, then a lighter blue, perhaps a third really quick mist of almost white.

IMG_6641_Fotor.jpg

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Without seeing a picture of what you want, I have to assume it's regular blue jeans.

Have you tried using fine screen as a mask?  In my example, I wanted to mimic the cloth used by MINI that was a space age looking cloth.  I sprayed flat black first, then aluminum.  I used a fine brass screen, bent to form as close as possible, and did a quick squirt of the second color.  I would think dark blue first, then a lighter blue, perhaps a third really quick mist of almost white.

IMG_6641_Fotor.jpg

Man, that's a great idea. This is a technique with a lot of possibilities.  

5 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Without trying not to stray too far from the original denim topic, this approach could work for carbon-fiber hoods etc.

I think that could work pretty good, there is a similar process for R/C bodies that involves that rubbery non slip shelf and drawer liner, that would scale out perfectly for 1/25th!

• 2 weeks later...
On January 29, 2018 at 8:27 AM, BigTallDad said:

Without trying not to stray too far from the original denim topic, this approach could work for carbon-fiber hoods etc.

I consider it related, since c-f is also a fabric.  Was thinking the Lamborghini Setso Elemento is completely c-f (including exhaust pipes!), so why not.

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

I consider it related, since c-f is also a fabric.  Was thinking the Lamborghini Setso Elemento is completely c-f (including exhaust pipes!), so why not.

Thanks, I was on another model car forum and my post might have been considered hi-jacking a thread.