Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi guys, I've been trying some weathering on the Mobieus 69 pickup.

I've only weathered 2 models and they were ok. I'm not finished with this yet. Give me some opionons, ideas and some constructive criticism! I think I'm a bit heavy handed with the weathering, I'm not going for rust out just more grungy and worn out. I'm using paint and pastel chalk. Let me know what you think! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I like it!  Amount of weathering is spot on!  If I had to suggest anything, I would consider thinning the roof paint a little to let some primer through as they are typically bleached out some on something this worn.  Maybe some scratches in the bed from years of loading and unloading those bottles.  I assume you will hit the chrome with some dull-coat to take away the "new" shine.  The engine compartment should be more dirt and grime vs paint failure or chipping in my opinion.  I think you've done a great job so far and special thumbs up on the decals!  The weathering you have done is very realistic and is just the right amount I think.  Hope these suggestions help!

23 minutes ago, bill lanfear said:

I like it!  Amount of weathering is spot on!  If I had to suggest anything, I would consider thinning the roof paint a little to let some primer through as they are typically bleached out some on something this worn.  Maybe some scratches in the bed from years of loading and unloading those bottles.  I assume you will hit the chrome with some dull-coat to take away the "new" shine.  The engine compartment should be more dirt and grime vs paint failure or chipping in my opinion.  I think you've done a great job so far and special thumbs up on the decals!  The weathering you have done is very realistic and is just the right amount I think.  Hope these suggestions help!

Good tips! I have been testing some stuff to dull down the chrome, I think I will experiment with the dull coat. I agree on the roof I will sand thru for a better look, I didn't like the roof, I thought it looked to "brushed". I'm going to build a rack for the welding tanks and I also agree with scratching up the bed and tailgate more. I have a lot more work to do, thanks for the tips and comments!

I am still experimenting with dulling down the chrome as well.  For my blazer, I sprayed it with dullcoat but it looked like I just painted it silver, so I then took a damp soft sponge and dabbed and very carefully rubbed some dullcoat off here and there to allow some shine to come through.  I was much happier with the end result. I did not dab the bumper.  You can see the difference in this pic.

IMG_0682.JPG

1 hour ago, bill lanfear said:

My thoughts exactly, it's looking great and some additional work it will be awesome.

2 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

I am still experimenting with dulling down the chrome as well.  For my blazer, I sprayed it with dullcoat but it looked like I just painted it silver, so I then took a damp soft sponge and dabbed and very carefully rubbed some dullcoat off here and there to allow some shine to come through.  I was much happier with the end result. I did not dab the bumper.  You can see the difference in this pic.

IMG_0682.JPG

I'm going To give that a try with the dullcoat, it looks really good! Thanks for the tip!

So far you have a very real looking old truck going here, You have received many good tips, and I have learned a great deal also. The only thing I might add would to be to look at the wheels. In the picture they don't look like the body. Maybe looking at pictures of old trucks and cars could give you some ideas for a look that better matches the weathering you have already done.  

4 hours ago, espo said:

So far you have a very real looking old truck going here, You have received many good tips, and I have learned a great deal also. The only thing I might add would to be to look at the wheels. In the picture they don't look like the body. Maybe looking at pictures of old trucks and cars could give you some ideas for a look that better matches the weathering you have already done.  

I'll check out some pictures, they do look a little heavy handed on the weathering! Maybe I'll tone them down a notch or two!

Made up a rack to hold the tanks, needs some more work! I'm debating if I should cut the Gage's off the tanks, I don't think they would be on for transport but then I'll have to make up some caps for the tanks, I could put the Gage's in the seat in a box!!

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

Hi all, finished up the interior, tried to have lots of paper and junk around. Made a quick clip board with delivery paper work! Also cut the Gage's off the weld tanks and made some caps. Still need to put some slots in the caps! Comments welcome!

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 8:50 PM, bisc63 said:

I think it's funny that your truck is carrying tanks, but the door decals proclaim "Arc Welding"!  Where's the arc welder?:rolleyes:

??? that's true but I was going for more of a " delivery" truck!  I really didn't think about that at all!