Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Mercury Woody Wagon

Stephen82kck

Here is the latest project on the slab. A 49 Merc Wagon. So far i just got the car primed, base coated flat black and got the wood all done up. Made the exterior wood frame look patina'd and inner panels look like a cherry style wood. 

Going for either a beach cruiser or street cruiser vibe on this. Looking to replace stock bumpers with 50 merc smooth  bumpers and am changing the stock grill for a 50 merc grill. 

Still up in the air on what to do on the interior. And thinking of installing a different engine in it as well. 

20180121_155825.jpg

20180121_155809.jpg

20180121_155737-1.jpg

20180121_155634-1.jpg

I like your grill change. The wood has the right look to it. I see you're going with the Sun Visor. As I'm sure you know the Revell Mercury Custom offers a wealth of parts like the bumper. I built one a couple of years ago and made a smooth tire cover for the tail gate so that I could use the Surf Shop decals from another kit.  

40 minutes ago, espo said:

I like your grill change. The wood has the right look to it. I see you're going with the Sun Visor. As I'm sure you know the Revell Mercury Custom offers a wealth of parts like the bumper. I built one a couple of years ago and made a smooth tire cover for the tail gate so that I could use the Surf Shop decals from another kit.  

Thank you.

Espo did you just use styren sheet to do that to the tire cover?

1 minute ago, Stephen82kck said:

Thank you.

Espo did you just use styren sheet to do that to the tire cover?

I used some pain .020 thick styrene from Evergreen for the face of the cover. If I were to do it again I might even use something just a little thicker. The reason was that when sanding and the center wanted to bend in and was hard to get sanded evenly. Maybe a strip of reinforcing glued to the back would also work.  

Update: Got the engine completely painted and built. But when i test it in the engine bay seems that the belt is to wide to allow the engine to sit properly in place. 

I was thinking of doing an engine swap like i did my 66 nova with a newer engine. If so then this engine will be available if someone desires to have it. 

20180125_175233-1.jpg

20180125_175223-1.jpg

20180125_175213-1.jpg

Edited by Stephen82kck

14 hours ago, Stephen82kck said:

Update: Got the engine completely painted and built. But when i test it in the engine bay seems that the belt is to wide to allow the engine to sit properly in place. 

I was thinking of doing an engine swap like i did my 66 nova with a newer engine. If so then this engine will be available if someone desires to have it. 

20180125_175233-1.jpg

20180125_175223-1.jpg

20180125_175213-1.jpg

Belt is to wide ? From the picture it looks as if you added a detailed Alternator and mounting bracket. Could this be changed in some way to fit ? If you just want to do something different on the engine I might be able to trade you for something you can use.  

The alternator that came with kit was molded poorly so i had to add this one. The belt is to wide and its the one from the kit. What type do you have espo?

I was looking through my parts bin and found the front seat's, rear seat, and center console from newer challenger kit i was given that was missing the body and engine so i been modifying them to fit the car.

I started by cutting the rear seat in half and took a section out of the top part to make it sit lower in the car and plated the rear of the seat to make it look like a tilt down seat. Front seats i added some plastic to the bottoms to bring them up where they need to be. And the console all i did to it was enclose the front and rear of it, opened up the shifter area to accomodate the shifter. 

20180126_125206.jpg

20180126_125155.jpg

20180126_125118-1.jpg

20180126_125220-1.jpg

Edited by Stephen82kck

Great idea on the interior. I'd like to build another '49 Woody and I would like to do something like you're doing here with a late model interior and newer drive train. On the engine front let me know what you have in mind and I'll see if I have something that you could use.

Didnt get much done this weekend but here is what Did get done. I trimmed down the front suspension to accommodate the wider tires.In the pics are the sections removed to shrink in the suspension. Waiting to locate a beefier rear end to work with to make tires fit the back end. 

20180128_112728-1.jpg

20180128_112707-1.jpg

Edited by Stephen82kck

Had to make some thicker mufflers. So i used some thick spruce sections from a different model thst holds chrome parts to make them up. 

The original mufflers melted when i applied a bit of glue to them to fix all parts of exhsust together so i cut them off at the clamp and sanded the edges down at an angle to make these. 

Think they came out decent. Thinking of either painting them chrome or red like old school cherry bombs. The blacked out part is after completion and the glue had set. Chrome is when i first built them. 

20180201_235123-1.jpg

20180201_235054-1.jpg

Edited by Stephen82kck

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry yall for not posting. Been really busy recently. Here is an update. Interior is complete. Satin burgundy with a antique peach inset. I think it came out rather nice. The challenger interior parts really seem to work in the car. 

I recently picked up the 49 merc by revell with multiple parts. Snagging the smooth bumpers for this one and uding the ribbed bumpers on the 49 coupe. 

20180224_225106-1.jpg

20180224_225058-1.jpg

20180224_225054-1.jpg

20180224_224816-1.jpg

Edited by Stephen82kck