Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got an idea!! Theme build inspired by Rants!

Hello all, if any of you have been follow a couple of very politicized threads in rants, one on the future of 4cyl in general, then you know the source of my inspiration.

In all of my ignorant glory, I mentioned that I wasn't fond of front wheel drive as my excuse for lack of love towards imports. I was quickly reminded of some great cars from Datsun (nissan for young whipper snappers) and Toyota during the '70s. I have always been a fan of the classic Z car anyways.

Well, what if we decided to do a non-competitive type build off. It has to be from 70-1980, from Japan, and in 1/24 or 1/25th scale. Anything goes as long as your build is representitive of your taste and personality. Into the 1320 scene, make a datsun 510 into awb, fc, or a gasser. Historic racing, a BRE datsun, tuner guys, rally guys, rep stock whatever. I think it would be interesting to see. Plus, I would like a fun side line build to my pain in the ass benetton!

The other idea that was mentioned was the liberal vs conservative build-off. Good idea! But what about a middle of the road guy like me? Do I build a plain benz with a "show me your t*t$" bumber sticker? Or a mean looking ride that says " I love Rush" or "I brake for family values" or even " I don't brake for abortion". So confusing. That is why I went with the classic Japan idea. Any takers? Or am I on my own with this one? Before you ask, I did take my meds today.

Any and all comments are welcome, as long as they don't involve my Mom. She tried you know.

Later,

Greg

Classic Japanese. There are plenty of kits to chose from. Some are a bit harder to find than others. I got my celica, in 1:1, 1/25th and 1/20th. I would love to see a 'donked' 510 B)

Cool idea Greg! That will give me a reason to blow the dust off of some possible candidates. But now which one?? I need a reasonable build time though. I still haven't finished a club "same kit" challenge when Revell introduced the 69 Z28! B)

That is the spirit guys! I forgot about donks!

As for the "I love Rush" bumber sticker, duh! I am sorry to have insulted that fine staple of Canadian rock. That "Rush" sticker would have to go on one of the new Revell Novas. Primer gray, traction bars, and cragar mags, with a 98 Rock sticker. I can see it cruisin' Clearwater Beach (before the fascist no-cruise ordinance).

We're only talking the other side of the Pacific though. '70 to '80, run what'cha brung! Make it reflect yourself.

Other than a couple of Z cars, I wondering what I might already have in the stash. I would love to my own spin on the '71 240Z Safari winner. Updated wheels, maybe some composite stuff, hmmm.

Later,

Greg

That is the spirit guys! I forgot about donks!

As for the "I love Rush" bumber sticker, duh! I am sorry to have insulted that fine staple of Canadian rock. That "Rush" sticker would have to go on one of the new Revell Novas. Primer gray, traction bars, and cragar mags, with a 98 Rock sticker. I can see it cruisin' Clearwater Beach (before the fascist no-cruise ordinance).

We're only talking the other side of the Pacific though. '70 to '80, run what'cha brung! Make it reflect yourself.

Other than a couple of Z cars, I wondering what I might already have in the stash. I would love to my own spin on the '71 240Z Safari winner. Updated wheels, maybe some composite stuff, hmmm.

Later,

Greg

not a Rush Limbaugh?! <_<

'70 to '80 make it reflect yourself, I like that, except no 60'? :o

now that Safari 240Z with the twist, you know what i'm going to say :P , as I ADORE the rally cars of the 70's and that is one of my tops! Composite stuff is always good!

and keep ON forgeting about the donks

Edited by Nick F40

Greg,

I have no interest in Japanese cars.... and only limp interest in a 240Z.... so I will suggest a topic that seems more interesting since this subject has received only slight attention.

How about something more "Artistic" like RAT RODS? Hmmm :P

40art-vi.jpg

:lol:

Greg,

I have no interest in Japanese cars.... and only limp interest in a 240Z.... so I will suggest a topic that seems more interesting since this subject has received only slight attention.

How about something more "Artistic" like RAT RODS? Hmmm :P

40art-vi.jpg

I'm not big on Japanese cars either. I do love Hot Rods though....

Here's an idea, we can do this type of car with liberal/conservative slant. Strictly Traditional for the conservatives, and Modern Rat Rod for the Liberals. There even is a little middle ground. Mixing of parts should land you in the middle somewhere, depending on what parts.

Good, bad, indifferent?

Unfortunately, there are no models of the Prius, so we couldn't do the car that is a status symbol on the left...I have a lot of friends that drive them.

I'd love to see a full-detail kit of the Prius, it would be fun to use the hybrid powertrain in rods for something different.

Edited by Rob Hall

Alright, what are the parameters for a rat rod? I certainly like 'em, but I was just wondering how for you can stretch it. I have some hotrods (of course) in the stash, so the potential is there for me. Can I use any powerplant I want? Don't worry, it won't be a hybrid. In my 1/24 scale world, gas is free, so mileage is not necessary, but imaginary dyno numbers are!

Can someone make some reasonable guidelines and rules? Start a new post with that, and lets get it going!

As for the classic import stuff, I am still game if anyone else is.

Thanks Guys,

Greg

Greg, I would have to say that there should be no limitations. If it is a Rat then fine. If it is more of a Nostalgia or Retro.... then fine too. My only thought about using the Rat Rod theme is that it is loose and open to interpretation.

Artistic expression in it's purest form.... with Left or Right leanings... however the builder chooses to express him or herself.

James suggested a "Right leaning motor" (Pure genius and I wish I had thought of it) I think bumper stickers will be my expression... but I might come up with something else later. Andy's idea of a enviro-friendly Hybred is very cool too! (Good one Andy!)

It's all about having fun and building models. Which is the reason we come here in the first place.

Right?

;)

J

Oh yes, the slant six comment was great. I think I should use a "flat 12" 'cause it represents me well. My futile attempts at humor, fall flat. And my maturity level is about twelve (on a good day).

I did say something reasonably funny today. The guys were agitating me about my poor hearing (too much gunfire, explosions, sirens over the years), because I couldn't understand our radio. I told 'em that it is tough with crappy hearing, you think you're sneaking one out in public, yet everyone but you hears it. Fart jokes, like I said, 12 y.o. It WAS funnier in person.

What were we talking about? Rats. Oughta be fun. I think we should do theme builds. Maybe one a month, so we don't get to swamped. Stuff accessible and affordable. In other words, no "high dollar, out of production resin kit month". And no, I'm not going to suggest F1! I'd rather go duck hunting with Dick Cheney, than have to read the posts on that one.

So, who is going to start the RAT RACE? What are the guidelines? Dates?

Photo-bucket, or fotki?

Well, onward, I got to go check the Rants!

Peace, out!

Greg

And yes, this is supposed to be fun.

Looks good Virgil!

Not sure which I like better... whatever you choose will turn out cool.

I got mine mocked up last night too:

P1010317-vi.jpg

The frame was something I built for a couple of MCM how to articles. Never made it into a project and I love those Olds Fiesta wheel covers!

Still not sure what to use for an engine.... still searching the graveyard.

Realized while shooting this pic, that I need a workshop to build this in.... and shoot in front of. Now where did I put that brick...:)

Ed, that Datsun sounds sweet!

No, best model rules and the Left sucks dirt!

29pickup-vi.jpg

SWEEET! :lol: "sucks dirt"

I like the old stuff only when it comes to the Japanese power, but I love me Hot Rods, and Traditional is sweet. ;)

What about VW Rods there has to be some German car owners over Japanese! :lol:

Edited by Nick F40

Ed, that Datsun sounds sweet!

SWEEET! :lol: "sucks dirt"

I like the old stuff only when it comes to the Japanese power, but I love me Hot Rods, and Traditional is sweet. ;)

What about VW Rods there has to be some German car owners over Japanese! :lol:

Nick,

I figure everyone should build what they want. The "Challenge" portion is how they choose to demonstrate their political and religious beliefs. My suggestion of Street Rods was such that it is a very open and unrestricted venue for this since Street Rods have been built and displayed through many trends for over 80 years! However, you build what ever you want! :lol: