Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 612 Customs - more than one

Phildaupho

image.png.6b8464deada47296a3fb26a3a90519bc.png

At the pre-Christmas car modellers brunch we had a model car kit gift exchange draw with the idea that these models would be built for the first get together of the year in January.

I ended up with a Revell Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. Since the kit gift exchange was more or less my idea, I figured I had to have mine built for the January meeting. I had previously built another custom version of this car so was quite familiar with the kit. Because time was of the essence I decided to build a curbside model with the hood glued closed however I was not interested in building it stock. I was inspired by a 1/1-tuner version built a number of years ago by Imola Racing of which I found images on-line.

SOME BACKGROUND INFO - I have only seen one 1/1 612 and that was at the Monterey Historics shortly after it had been released. I was impressed by its large size but disappointed by some aspects of its styling. With my first 612 model I attempted to improve some of those styling deficiencies. These days the 612 maybe the most affordable of the recent V-12 Ferraris with the average asking price between $100 and & 120,000 US$ and has the bonus of being a four seater. For example black low mileage 612 sold for $115 at the recent Barrett-Jackson auction.

MODIFICATIONS

Added rear spoiler and diffuser elements

Cut in vents behind the front and ahead of the rear wheelwells

Enlarged vents beside the grill and filled those and the central grill with mesh

Molded front side splitters to valence

Lowered suspension

Wheels are Aoshima Enkei NT03+M 19inch with pose able fronts

Did not install side windows to give a full hardtop look

Aluminum tube exhaust tips

Interior Tamiya Bright Red dull coated

Exterior is two-tone to emphasis the unique styling cues on the 612 using Testor’s Model Master Custom lacquer System – AMC Sterling Silver Metallic 3D, Plymouth Bright Platinum Metallic PS and Ultra Gloss Clearcoat

image.png.2201d4fe15b4a3c60881d08a7b32d543.pngimage.thumb.png.1ca208dcf28b895bdcfb8692f1214c59.png

Edited by Phildaupho

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎23 at 1:14 PM, ismaelg said:

Nice to see another 612!  I did a custom 612ig  over a decade ago.  

Thanks,

Ismael - I would love to see your 612. Please post here and that goes for anyone else who has built a custom 612. I will change the topic title to Ferrari 612 Customs - more than one. This is the other 612 Custom I did. By the way I would like to thank you for the Scale Corvettes website you did a number of years ago. It was the first place I ever posted a photo of a model car I had built.

DSCN3167DSCN3169

Edited by Phildaupho

Hi Phil!

Love the rear looks of the red one!

Thanks for letting me re-post mine here.   I can't believe it was built 12 years ago already!

The hood was modified with a bulge in the center, struts, side vents, rockers, brakes, wheels etc.

DSCF2182.JPG

Here is the link to the original post with more pictures. This was one of my first posts in this forum when it started, even before the Under Glass section was opened. 

and in this link I have more info 
http://puertoriconet.com/images/612

Thanks!

Edited by ismaelg

Here's mine; it's currently disassembled as I want to reshoot the paint (had many issues when building), and replace the wheels and brakes. Has a Viper hood w/custom vents, custom side vent, opened up front vents on the front fascia, revised C pillar design. There's no way I'm getting these wheels off w/o damaging suspension, have a parts kit awaiting. Built this 12 years ago!!!

2veojU2LxvKa6.jpg

2veojUSyxvKa6.jpg

2veojUrSxvKa6.jpg

Edited by Zoom Zoom

It's interesting how the 612 itself has aged fairly gracefully, but when new there was something kind of generic about the design, aside from the odd side cove.  I almost forgot about this second one I built, inspired by a late-production OTO version. This color scheme looked pretty sharp to me. This one only got the opened up fascia to each side of the main grille. White w/gloss black roof (standing in for the glass roof), cuoio interior and charcoal Challenge wheels:

2vgtnmrjxvKa6.jpg

2vgPew6FxvKa6.jpg

2vgPew9FxvKa6.jpg

12 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Here's mine; it's currently disassembled as I want to reshoot the paint (had many issues when building), and replace the wheels and brakes. Has a Viper hood w/custom vents, custom side vent, opened up front vents on the front fascia, revised C pillar design. There's no way I'm getting these wheels off w/o damaging suspension, have a parts kit awaiting. Built this 12 years ago!!!

2veojU2LxvKa6.jpg

2veojUSyxvKa6.jpg

2veojUrSxvKa6.jpg

Wow......you made it look even better!!