Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which one of these is the likeliest big block Chevy? All junkyard, bought on eBay.I think 1. may be a Pontiac. 5. looks good to me. I'm open to comments & suggestions. The selected candidate will likely turn out with the Nelson twin turbo set up I got today.

1. IMG_6835.jpg

2.IMG_6836.jpg

3.IMG_6838.jpg

4.IMG_6839.jpg

5.IMG_6840.jpg

Not really good with identifying engines, but I believe #3 is a Y-Block Ford.  Yet the circles, which I presume to be exhaust ports, represent a V-6; which I have never heard of in the Y-block series.  #1 looks a whole lot like the many BBC's I have seen in builds.

18 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Not really good with identifying engines, but I believe #3 is a Y-Block Ford.  Yet the circles, which I presume to be exhaust ports, represent a V-6; which I have never heard of in the Y-block series.  #1 looks a whole lot like the many BBC's I have seen in builds.

Thanks Rick. I think you may have a point with 3. The circles would be frost plugs. The ports would be on the heads which aren't there. But the tall crankase looks like that of a y-block.. Also I thing the Chevies have the starter on the other side.

27 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

The circles are freeze plug locations on the block.

Without the heads, it's difficult to identify that one unless somebody recognizes the specific kit.

Identifiers of the BBC are evenly-spaced exhaust ports, intake ports spaced like a smallblock Chebby, distributor in the rear, and a timing cover that also looks rather like a smallblock Chebby, starter on the RH (passenger) side.

On the photo below, note the even exhaust port spacing, paired intake ports, distributor in the rear. and 4 bolts on the lower valve cover rail. Oil filter is on this side (driver's), starter on other side.

Related image

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ok. Here we go: 1. Big Block Chevy, looks like a mix of parts, appears to be of AMT, or possibly MPC origin. 2. BBC pro stock motor from the many Monogram Camaro and Firebirds of the 80's and 90's. 3. 440 6 pack Mopar, most likely from the Monogram '69 Super Bee, possibly the '70 GTX which was also molded in blue once. 4. BBC from either the MPC '57 Chevy flip nose gasser or '53 Ford F-100 flip nose pick up. 5. BBC from AMT '61 Ford Ranchero. The later issues came as custom only and had that BBC. You can tell by the valve covers. Hope that helps! -Larry

7 hours ago, larman said:

Ok. Here we go: 1. Big Block Chevy, looks like a mix of parts, appears to be of AMT, or possibly MPC origin. 2. BBC pro stock motor from the many Monogram Camaro and Firebirds of the 80's and 90's. 3. 440 6 pack Mopar, most likely from the Monogram '69 Super Bee, possibly the '70 GTX which was also molded in blue once. 4. BBC from either the MPC '57 Chevy flip nose gasser or '53 Ford F-100 flip nose pick up. 5. BBC from AMT '61 Ford Ranchero. The later issues came as custom only and had that BBC. You can tell by the valve covers. Hope that helps! -Larry

It certainly helps. Actually when I had received the big bag, I had sorted it out by SBC, BBC, Ford and Chrysler. quite a few by the obvious valve covers, and obvious port layouts like the small block Chevy. So now, that blue Chrysler will rejoin its brothers. And one of the others will end up with the Nelson setup. Thank you muchly.

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The circles are freeze plug locations on the block.

Without the heads, it's difficult to identify that one unless somebody recognizes the specific kit.

Identifiers of the BBC are evenly-spaced exhaust ports, intake ports spaced like a smallblock Chebby, distributor in the rear, and a timing cover that also looks rather like a smallblock Chebby, starter on the RH (passenger) side.

On the photo below, note the even exhaust port spacing, paired intake ports, distributor in the rear. and 4 bolts on the lower valve cover rail. Oil filter is on this side (driver's), starter on other side.

Thanks Bill. I didnt know about the paired intake ports. that is a good clue.

1) BBC, looks AMT or MPC

2) BBC "mountain motor" from 1/24 Monogram Pro Stock Camaro or Firebird kits

3) BBC (Big Block Chrysler) from 1/24 Monogram '69 Coronet Super Bee

4) Looks BBC ish, but the valve cover are not, at least the bolt pattern is wrong for a BBC

5) Hard to tell on this one what it is. Wouldn't use it regardless.

21 hours ago, Casey said:

1) BBC, looks AMT or MPC

2) BBC "mountain motor" from 1/24 Monogram Pro Stock Camaro or Firebird kits

3) BBC (Big Block Chrysler) from 1/24 Monogram '69 Coronet Super Bee

4) Looks BBC ish, but the valve cover are not, at least the bolt pattern is wrong for a BBC

5) Hard to tell on this one what it is. Wouldn't use it regardless.

You know your stuff Casey, I looked at my unbuilt complete 440 and it is exactly the same.