Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Optical" or "Laser" Mouse tip...

Ace-Garageguy

Probably a lot of you who use desktop computers, and some laptop users too, use laser or optical mice.

Dust, lint and fuzz tend to collect in and around the sensor port on the underside of the device.

It only takes a very slight buildup of dust to confuse the sensor, and wreck the performance of the device. Even a single hair across the port can scatter the light source enough to interfere with performance, and have your mouse not effectively controlling cursor placement.

I noticed this with my own mice, and since then, have picked up several "bad" mice at the thrift store that had nothing wrong with them other than a little dust or fuzz at or in the port.

Most of the time, you can just blow it out with your own breath. Heavy accumulations can be removed with the dampened corner of a paper towel, or a Q-tip.

A clean mouse is a happy mouse.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Interesting. For years I used the ones where you had to take the Mouse Balls out and clean out the dust every so often. When you had to clean out the dust every two days, it was time to replace them. 

Since then, I think I've "worn out" two laser mice. Only paid $10 for them new, so never thought about cleaning them. Wonder if that's the problem? I probably have them both somewhere, as I'm famous for never throwing anything away because "Hey, maybe I can use that for SOMETHING someday." (I'll bet I'm not the only one here.) 

17 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I probably have them both somewhere, as I'm famous for never throwing anything away because "Hey, maybe I can use that for SOMETHING someday." (I'll bet I'm not the only one here.) 

If they are wired mice, cut open the cord and you might be rewarded with pretty colored wires!