Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Chevy Chevette

fomocomav

On 1/23/2018 at 6:12 PM, El Caballo said:

I was robbed (la mordida) by a Venezuelan traffic cop who was driving one of those as his squad car. Funny story...

Here, police also drove some of those, along with VW Bugs. When one came after my father, to remain him he was too fast, and ask for a little monetary compensation to forget it, he usually just pressed the accelerator pedal a little more, and let the V8 under the Galaxie's hood do the rest. I remember well we cruising at about 160 km/h in a desert two lane blacktop in the state of Minas Gerais (where my grandmother lived) and a police Bug fading fast behind... 

It only worked on roads where there were no police control posts in the next say 60 kilometers. 

3 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Are you kidding me?I can beat the car in a chase with a wheelchair.:D

Yea, but as the police say, "You can't outrun a Motorola!"

Many years ago my idiot friend did something stupid in front of a cop who was on parking patrol in a  Cushman scooter downtown Red Bank, NJ.  He just sneared at the cop and took off.   A few blocks away he was met with a roadblock of two full size police cars.   As he sat there the Cushman motored up and that cop gave him the original ticket and one for eluding!

Thanks for all the kind words and good stories!  I'd like to see the earlier ones back, too.  I don't know if they were lost when the tooling was updated, or if they just made new tooling.  I'm guessing they actually changed the tooling, and this would be the only one they could bring back?

They changed the front end to the '78 style, but if I remember they didn't re-do the taillights. Maybe they did at some point but yours appears to have the '78 style grille but lacks the wraparound tail lights that the  later 1:1 cars had. So if it comes back as a reissue it'll basically be the kit you have. 

Edited by Chuck Most