Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tires...Tires...and more Tires!

Some of you know that I have been creating 3d printed parts for the community.  I am now wanting to get a pulse on printing up some tires that could be used as masters to cast in a  "rubber resin".

I may opening a can of worms, but lets try this.  What kind of tires would you like to have?  I can't do all of them, but I would like to get a sense is there a top three tire design that we could all use.

Lets hear what got!

Mike

Hey Mike, what scale were you planning on making the tires in.. 1/24 and up or just a specific scale?. I see large scale missing alot of options. Starting at 1/18 and up. I normally build in 1/12. Over the years i found and collected tires from RC cars but the sizes werent accurate 100% and the tread patern was always mediocre. I also made a rear pro street tire using a Muscle Machine rear tire and the sidewalls of the kit slick from one of the original  1/12 orange Camaro kits.. eventually i made a mold and casted it in Rubber. I know alot of guys want to build Pro Street cars, 10.5 tire cars, pro touring cars etc so mostly any tires are a big welcome in 3D... I sold a few of my tires back in the day. I wasnt all easy either lol.. but i had Micro Nitro help out with wheels. I shipped a few of my tires to him and he made measurements of them so when a client wanted a certain subject we could entertain them but it wasnt always the case... maybe making certain teams of wheels and tires might help you? Offsets are also something to think about.  Tires that i would like to see are the current BFG 235/60r15 through 275/60r15 , L60's from the 70's..... Slicks for Pro Streets, front runners for drag racing etc.. those are the one i think are missing from the hobbie in large scale.. its just hard because certain project depend on certain tires.. I stopped making tires in rubber a while back when Micro Nitro was sold.. so no more tire making for me lol...just make tires you think might benefit for the hobbie.. and hey thank you for helping or atleast trying to help... ??

I agree with all the recommendations above. Almost any width, in various heights from 26" to 31" would be welcome. A few drag radial options would be nice too, along with DOT bias ply tires for the serious racer in a DOT class. I know you cant fulfill every wish list, so we will take what we can get. There are a few guys printing wheels already. It might be a good idea to see what dimensions their wheels are to make sure what you make can fit whats available already. And dont forget the motorcycle guys. There are some really good 1/12 scale motorcycles kits, and almost NOTHING in the way of options for those models. A good DOT tire, and maybe a set of wheels for those would make you a couple of friends. 

1 hour ago, mnagatani said:

Thanks Ralph.  Any of you guys going to NNL West in Santa Clara.  I'll have a table there and would really like to meet anyone going.

Would love to go but its just to far up north for me.. one day when the kids are a little older might give it a go..?

14 hours ago, Kustomm said:

Perhaps 1/8 60's wrinkle wall slicks, in full torque mode.

Yes..!   I would also love to have some of the old 60s/70s  1/25th scale  MPC style 70 series width tires with a whitewall on them for dozens of restorations I have to do...skinny one just cant cut it look dumb on them to me.   id also like to see someone do some 1/25th scale off road semi tires and loader tires.

I would  be willing to commit to at least two or three sets of tires, as long as the price is not through the roof (it is just a hobby). I think if you make an M&H or Mickey Thompson drag tire, it would go well. As long as it isnt a pro mod size tire. I would also be willing to buy a 3d printed set of wheels, and mail them to you, for measurements. I have seen a few nice sets of 3d wheels, but finding tires is like finding bigfoot. There are pictures of them, and people talking about them occasionally, maybe even some grainy video footage, but noone can actually find any. 

I would also be willing to buy two or three sets of the drag motorcycle tires posted in the picture above, by mnagatani. Both front and back would be killer. I can even widen and cut down the wheels to make them work. I just need tires. 

I wonder if it would be easier to machine rubber stock? I have thought about asking local shops.