Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heller 2018

Luc Janssens

7 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That's peanuts compared to American sellers on eBay want for shipping stuff to Canada.   You guys do know where Canada is, right?

Its not our fault, blame your country for the following fees that get attached to each parcel coming from the USA

" brokerage fee, processing fees, and the GST or HST fee "

1 minute ago, martinfan5 said:

Its not our fault, blame your country for the following fees that get attached to each parcel coming from the USA

" brokerage fee, processing fees, and the GST or HST fee "

That's the thing. Getting a model from Europe over here costs about what you quoted, and they have to deal with the same stuff, and they have to send it across an ocean.  You'd think Americans have to cross a lake of fire to get stuff here.

Just now, Richard Bartrop said:

That's the thing. Getting a model from Europe over here costs about what you quoted, and they have to deal with the same stuff, and they have to send it across an ocean.  You'd think Americans have to cross a lake of fire to get stuff here.

I know, I dont get it either,  I know it sucks for you guys though.

It is nice to see Heller getting back on their feet, looks like quite a few new tools as well as many reissues.

The Renault R8 rally car is neat. The 4CV police car and weird Renault police van will provide some odd options for police and fire models. It says the 4CV is new, but I thought that was an existing kit, maybe it was in 1/43.

I keep hoping the C4 fire engine will make a comeback, seems like they are doing everything else based on the chassis. The bus and hotel shuttle are kind of neat though. 

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

LOL $11 shipping from Germany is a "huge" shipping cost?

just looking at the shipping costs no, but it's the same price overall as the one with $18 shipping.  I work for an international company and have friends in France. Next time one is coming over for meetings, I'll ask him to bring me one.  Same guy buys motorcycle parts from eBay USA and has them shipped to my house. No problem!

IIRC the Estafette was announced a couple years ago, before their financial issues...good to see it was just delayed and not permanently cancelled...the new tractor and the R8 look interesting.    I got the Mehari, HY van, the tractor and Talbot-Lago GP car a couple years ago by ordering direct..their website is easy, price and shipping was reasonable, quick delivery time IIRC..

That is an impressive catalog but what are Heller kits like to build? Compared to say Revell, Tamiya and Emhar for example, what sort of quality can be expected from these French kits, and do they stand up well in terms of accuracy and instruction sheet design? The reason I ask is that having built many of the leading manufacturers models in 1:24 scale, so far I haven't built a single Heller kit. I do like the look of the Hispano Suiza and the Talbot Largo especially.

David

25 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

That is an impressive catalog but what are Heller kits like to build? Compared to say Revell, Tamiya and Emhar for example, what sort of quality can be expected from these French kits, and do they stand up well in terms of accuracy and instruction sheet design? The reason I ask is that having built many of the leading manufacturers models in 1:24 scale, so far I haven't built a single Heller kit. I do like the look of the Hispano Suiza and the Talbot Largo especially.

David

I've built the Bentley, the Hispano and the Bugatti, and I'd say they're a lot like Airfix kits in that they have lots of really delicate parts.   They do build up nicely if you exercise a little care.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

7 hours ago, gasman said:

Woohoo another tractor. 1/24 Massey-Furgeson 2680, 

That Furgeson is unfortunately a snap kit from the eighties. It was part of the "Bobcat - Bobkit" series aimed at inexperienced builders and is somewhat simplified. Judging from pictures on the web it seems to build up well enough though.

Talking about "NEW" kits; I only think the Estafette van can be said to be a new tool. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty certain the other ones (at least for 1/24) are reissues. As in new in the catalogue and back after an absence.

That said, it doesn't take anything away from the excitement of seeing old favorites back in circulation. I am stoked to be able to purchase the Renault Gordini again, and quite happy to see the 1/72 Saab Safir too.:D          Now if hey wanted to make me really happy they could tool up new coachbuilt bodies for their Talbot and Delahaye..

16 minutes ago, lysleder said:

That said, it doesn't take anything away from the excitement of seeing old favorites back in circulation. I am stoked to be able to purchase the Renault Gordini again, and quite happy to see the 1/72 Saab Safir too.:D          Now if hey wanted to make me really happy they could tool up new coachbuilt bodies for their Talbot and Delahaye..

I could get behind that.  If anyone, either Heller, or some enterprising resin caster were up for it, my recommendation for a coachbuilt Talbot-Lago would be this beauty, which has already been done as a Hot Wheels:

Talbot-Lago%20T150-C%20SS%201937.jpg

As for a custom Delahaye, how about another classic Figoni & Falaschi design?

1936_Delahaye_135ComptitionCourt3.jpg

1 hour ago, lysleder said:

That Furgeson is unfortunately a snap kit from the eighties. It was part of the "Bobcat - Bobkit" series aimed at inexperienced builders and is somewhat simplified. Judging from pictures on the web it seems to build up well enough though.

Talking about "NEW" kits; I only think the Estafette van can be said to be a new tool. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty certain the other ones (at least for 1/24) are reissues. As in new in the catalogue and back after an absence.

That tractor was shown last year at the Toy Fair,  but then never made it out because of the financial issues later on, you are correct, the only new tooling is the Estafette vans that got put on hiatus.

6 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

David

Like a lot of companies that have been around forever, they can be hit or miss depending on the age of the kit. They have a few duds but for the most part they are competitive and compare well to Revell, Airfix or AMT of the same age. I have built more of their aircraft than anything, but I do have the Bentley blower and it is an impressive kit. I also have the recent Citroen Van and at least based on looking at it in the box it could be from Tamiya.

The thing that really stands out with Heller though is what they kit. They do a lot of French and European subjects rarely seen by other kit makers, so it is good that they tend to make good kits.