Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ & the Bear XXL - Done!

Just an update to say I've made a little progress. My father passed away last Thursday so it might be a bit slow-going on this project in the short term. I did get some white paint on everything but there's not much sense in posting pics as they wouldn't show anything different than the white primer pics.

Stellar work !!!! Your lines are super sharp and look great. We're definitely having fun with the Bear tributes !!!!

Check your black stripes when ya start them..a few of mine looked like the ink ran low and has a purple look . Mainly on the ones that go right below windshield that taper 

Thanks guys! I wanted a drop visor but the aluminum one on Ebay has too much of a drop for my taste. Since I planned on painting it red anyway I went ahead and made one from styrene.

Jeff, I check my decals and they all seem to be fine thankfully. I bought two full truck & trailer decal sets so that I'd have plenty for the extra sleeper and any potential decal application problems I might have. As with any masking there are several areas I have to tweek but nothing too bad. Yours is looking great and I think once I get the decals on mine it'll start looking like something. I still have to decide whether to put the stacks in between or run them all the way back. I've seen them both ways on these big COEs and I'm leaning toward running them all the way back to give a smoother transition between the cab & sleeper.

4 hours ago, Mike77 said:

Thanks guys! I wanted a drop visor but the aluminum one on Ebay has too much of a drop for my taste. Since I planned on painting it red anyway I went ahead and made one from styrene.

Jeff, I check my decals and they all seem to be fine thankfully. I bought two full truck & trailer decal sets so that I'd have plenty for the extra sleeper and any potential decal application problems I might have. As with any masking there are several areas I have to tweek but nothing too bad. Yours is looking great and I think once I get the decals on mine it'll start looking like something. I still have to decide whether to put the stacks in between or run them all the way back. I've seen them both ways on these big COEs and I'm leaning toward running them all the way back to give a smoother transition between the cab & sleeper.

Stacks at the Back! At the Back!!!

Just my preference.:D

7 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

You gonna make this a tri axle truck with all the extra length or a tag axle ? 

Your bunk looks good together with the cab

Nope, just regular tandems. I see pics of conventionals with condo sleepers at least this long, and the cab/hood combo of a conventional is probably longer than a KW Aerodyne cab, so I figure I can get away with it. Believe it or not the sleeper was originally longer but after looking at it a little common sense prevailed and I took it down a notch. I had won an Ebay auction for a bunch of Aerodyne cab shells and that's how I made the sleeper. I wanted to make one that matched the cab roof rather than just a box-style sleeper. I've started on the chassis and it'll be 17-1/2"-long. Besides, it's a model...I don't have to drive it anywhere anyway! :lol: 

Man, between your build and Jeff's is making me want to start mine sooner... I'm planning on making a drive North of me and going to see Paul's restored BJ and the Bear number 3 rig in person and taking some detailed shots of the real rig!!

Nice tribute!!!!!

Thanks guys! I've built truck models off-and-on over the years since the 70's but I've never done a BJ rig. When I decided to do this project I didn't want to do just a standard BJ & the Bear recreation for two reasons...1) it's been done a million times already by other builders, and b) having to try to recreate every little detail based on which owner claims to have the most faithfully recreated copy of the original truck makes building it more like work than pleasure. This project is not meant to be a practical OTR truck, more of a fantasy piece that looks cool sitting on a shelf. I have most of the chassis done, I'm just waiting on a few pieces to arrive before it goes to paint. ;)