Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring chassis donor?

I've been contemplating building a couple of modern style '60s-'70s muscle car/pickup projects, and I'm wondering about suggestions for chassis donors. Foose's FD-100  seems to be fairly up-to-date, and I am guessing the Cadillac is also a contender. In the '90s, we used full-detail Chezooms and Boyd's Hauler pickups for components to update body-on-frame cars, but I'm thinking about current trends/standards, as seen on Bitchin' Rides, etc.
While I am willing to cut/hack/swap components from multiple donor kits, it seems much more financially prudent if there are one or two kits that could provide parts that would be universally useful for such conversions. So I'm asking: what are your suggestions?

Edited by Dirty Dave

In an associated thought: a partial re-tool of AMT's late '60s thru early '70s Chevy/GMC C-10 to include a modern bagged chassis with tubular control arms, modern rubber (I've seen lots of 1:1 20"+ alloy wheels that replicate the stock hubcaps, scaled-up) and LS power would be a great way to add value/interest to those trucks and their molded-in-detail stock chassis plates.

I've always been partial to the chassis in the old Banshee from Revell. Double tube construction with full independent suspension. A little more trick than a square platform. You may have the add extra tube bracing where you see fit and lose the belly pan if you want to show it off.

DSCN0434-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Scott Colmer

6 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

What about the Foose Cadillac? I really don’t know anything about pro-touring, but it looked like a modern chassis and engine style setup?  

The Foose Cadillac chassis is built around the Cadillac's stock frame.  Swapping the suspension is a possibility, but you wouldn't want to swap the whole chassis under a later car.

I've picked up an AMT 1/25 and Revell/Monogram 1/24Stock Cars as well as a Revell Fox Body Mustang IMSA for donors. The RMX xar will likely end up under a  RMX '77 T/A, the IMSA FoxStang will end up under an '88 Shelby Daytona, and the AMT kit will end up under an AMT '75 Matador.......eventually.......

I have a few different ideas to work from, thanks to you all. Original project that brought this to mind is to do a modern-style build based on Revell's '66 Suburban, but wanted to do a street-style  lowered chassis, without the crazy kick-up and the floor mods that go along with all of that. That's what made me think about just swapping in a newer chassis, or clips from from one that had already been set up with coil-overs, big brakes and a lowered ride height. I've done plenty of suspension mods/swaps over the years, but was just thinking about a one-stop donor that would make it happen without buying three or four more parts kits.

For the Suburban, the Foose FD-100 chassis might be the best idea, providing you swap the whole frame.  For suspension parts only, the Revell '37 Ford coupe has a tubular-arm Mustang II setup in front.  I'm pretty certain everything needed goes with the crossmember.  The rear suspension in that kit is a C3 Corvette unit.  Other possibilities would include a NASCAR kit (tubular A-arm front, Ford axle/"truck arm" rear) and the AMT Wagonrod.

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

For the Suburban, the Foose FD-100 chassis might be the best idea, providing you swap the whole frame.  For suspension parts only, the Revell '37 Ford coupe has a tubular-arm Mustang II setup in front.  I'm pretty certain everything needed goes with the crossmember.  The rear suspension in that kit is a C3 Corvette unit.  Other possibilities would include a NASCAR kit (tubular A-arm front, Ford axle/"truck arm" rear) and the AMT Wagonrod.

We'll see which way I go. Going to try to take track width, etc into account, but if it comes down to it, I am sure that I can bash something together. Nice thing about stealing from a NASCAR kit is it'll have Chevy truck-style rear suspension, anyway.