Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Pacer Recon

David G.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

I think I'll try to find some hubcaps for the front wheels.

78_PacerRecon_28.thumb.jpg.7b4f1c0913ce41ba7029f94d39b908ac.jpg

From this angle, the interior looks busy enough.

78_PacerRecon_29.thumb.jpg.3a223ab3303923fb3c22d954a25b8252.jpg

Lots of "future tech" bits glued to the dashboard.

78_PacerRecon_30.thumb.jpg.1b2bbb3a8815bae579923755ab609248.jpg

I'm fairly happy with the interior.

78_PacerRecon_33.thumb.jpg.009be031be4862aaf71a7baa21ce8cd8.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to see some added exterior body armored panels attached for extra protection those undead attackers. With the Excellent Indeed angled factory installed side body sheet that will naturally deflect thrown projectiles,an extra layer of plates of unobtabium 60 in critical areas including over those tires would increase the life expectancy of the patrolees greatly. Some panels around that 50 cal like those on humvees would also serve to protect the gunner in a most wonderful way.Jus trying to help.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I wanted to try Molotow chrome pens on this build, so I ordered some. When they came in I got to work using them on the trim around the windows where I would normally use BMF. 

I was less than pleased with the results. The Pens work beautifully, it's my lack of skill that is the problem. I need more practice in surface prep and application.

78_PacerRecon_35.thumb.jpg.3c1e3ed96914ba743aaa2f3e4479759b.jpg

Luckily, the Molotow paint is water based and I was able to remove most of it and apply BMF in its place. 

78_PacerRecon_36.thumb.jpg.ddbec989afd2b5cd9e186f252e360b53.jpg

Once I find my own best way to use these pens, I'm sure to find them very useful.

Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• 1 month later...

OK, I thought that I was going to finish this one last weekend but I ran into some complications.

The body to chassis fit on this one has been wonky since the beginning. After installing the glass, the fit became downright troublesome.

In the meantime, I'll post some photos while I try to decide how I want to deal with this.

While I was struggling to get the chassis mated to the body, there were a couple setbacks. The windshield shifted and messed up the foil work on the surround and the front roll pan detached from the body.

78_PacerRecon_37.thumb.jpg.d6921df5cacb25d951a4fb182ad18ed4.jpg

Here's the other side of the problem. With the wheels squarely on the ground, on this side, the chassis doesn't go all the way up into the body. I'm considering two possible solutions. First one is to disassemble the whole shebang and try to figure out where the windows interfere with the fit and see if they can be trimmed back far enough to allow for a proper fit. My main concern here is one of doing more harm than good. Option two is to place some sort of trim (side pipes, running board, stone guard or something) on the body to to cover up the problem. I'm leaning toward the second option.

78_PacerRecon_38.thumb.jpg.1e96765deed1eeab5567702d0d14eae6.jpg

I am rather pleased with the interior though. 

78_PacerRecon_41.thumb.jpg.abbf17e32f1b100f79dbbb2ae74818ad.jpg

Lots of techie weapon thingies, but not too much.

78_PacerRecon_40.thumb.jpg.70dcc91c6342f7b8fe6f01a56fd09b4e.jpg

I think I can still pull this off. After all, solving problems is one of the main aspects of our hobby.

78_PacerRecon_39.thumb.jpg.9baec485b09c7771f86bedafa19e2889.jpg

David G.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:09 PM, David G. said:

Knowing how AMC borrowed from the "Big Three", it may be based on the same block.

David G.

No, it was an American Motors casting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_straight-6_engine

The 199 six evolved into the 232, the 258 and eventually the 4.0 used by Jeep until 2006. I've had three 1:1 iterations of that engine over the years.

On 6/4/2018 at 2:21 PM, gman said:

No, it was an American Motors casting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_straight-6_engine

The 199 six evolved into the 232, the 258 and eventually the 4.0 used by Jeep until 2006. I've had three 1:1 iterations of that engine over the years.

Well, you learn something new every day. Thanks for posting the link Greg.

David G.

• 4 weeks later...

Found some time and energy to do a little work on this one. I started placing the decals.

I'm going to see if I can get them to settle into the door gaps.

78_PacerRecon_42.thumb.jpg.cf8ee58ed8ed49176a64dcf028d43e05.jpg

I made a bar-code license tag I think it adds to that "Retro 70's Alternate Future" vibe.

78_PacerRecon_43.thumb.jpg.d37e207fbf371054526810e6ca1b77d1.jpg

David G.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been silently following your build. You had mentioned decal problems around the door opening. If this is still a problem, something I have done, use a sharp #11 blade and cut the decal following the seem. Use a small amount of Solvaset in the seem and the decal usually will settle down into the seem.