Model Cars Magazine Forum

To build or not to build a collectible kit

I have always wanted to build a Mercedes C-111, have a Corgi but that's not the same.  Does not seem to be any kits available, just this horrid motorized toy from a defunct manufacturer.  I just had to get it.  It would be a ton of work to correct the body to begin with, but it's basic shape looks correct.  Even Jay Leno could not own one, since Mercedes has kept all of them, so my idea is to double up on the sacrilegious aspect, and resto-rod it with using the chassis and engine, and some of the interior, from another legendary car that won Le Mans.  What is your reaction to this idea?
1.  You are crazy?  :blink:
2.  I'll buy that C-111 for double what you paid for it.  :wub:

3. Wish I thought of that.  <_<

4.  Why don't you build something normal like Fords or something?  :huh:

5.  Are you freaking insane?!?!?  :angry:

IMG_6625_Fotor.jpg

That is a hard one but for me personally I get them to build and enjoy them...some may sit for many years till i figure out how Ill build them or wait till the right time to build them when the plan for them comes to me...colors..etc.   if you have always wanted to build one and got a hold of one Id say why not build it...dreams are meant to be seen.

I have to agree with the others, just do what you want with it. My view on this has changed over time. I used to think I should save all of these different kits because they were no longer making them. You probably bought this originally because you wanted to build it so build it.

"Collector Kit"  is kind of an oxymoron to me.  It is only collectable to a collector and then it is only worth what someone will pay for it.  So I guess it comes down the the question of, are you a collector or a builder?  Once you answer that question, the answer to your first question becomes clear. 

With exception to one lone kit in my stash...ALL are fair game to glue and paint.

I have a mint Barry Setzer Vega AA/ FC funnycar. That will remain mint in box as long as I'm breathing. (Its one of the kits i had back when new and wanted one for nostalgia reasons ) 

But. I have  one already done. In my case.  Plus a few builders should i feel the need to build another. 

I, too used to agonize whether or not to build a rare kit but not from an investment concern but whether or not I could build the kit at a high level. about 6 years ago I decided to build some of these kits.  ive since built a clearbodied mr gasket mustang gasser, a flying Dutchman funny car and an original mpc transporter with ramchargers dragster(naturally sooon after, this kit was reissued) with a olds fwd v8 and reworked interior.   as soon as I finish butchering a can do kit I may build the terracruz military nuclear missile transporter kit. I really enjoyed building these kits so my advice is to build it...you will really enjoy it.

5a7484c4716d5_schucoc111-2.jpg.8cbc9b96336ddc3e972dbb7220063b7f.jpg

I don't know if you are familiar with this kit by Schuco. This is 1/16 scale and I had one when I was a kid in Germany.  Very rare today, but they are out there.  If you Google images there are a lot of photos, some look like the same piece issued later as remote control.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:56 PM, gtx6970 said:

With exception to one lone kit in my stash...ALL are fair game to glue and paint.

I have a mint Barry Setzer Vega AA/ FC funnycar. That will remain mint in box as long as I'm breathing. (Its one of the kits i had back when new and wanted one for nostalgia reasons ) 

But. I have  one already done. In my case.  Plus a few builders should i feel the need to build another. 

I have a couple mint "keepers" in my stash, among them original annual AMT '66 Barracuda and Mustang HT/Convertible. But pretty much everything else I bought with the intent to BUILD it, and I intend to when the mood strikes me. 

I started as a builder and as life got in the way, work, kid, ,house the normal stuff we all have going on at time or another became a collector. Now that things seem to have evened out, I have started to build again. I also have few of those kits that thought I would never build because of the amount of money that I paid for them. But they are looking more inviting every day. Now if I could find a color for that turbine car other than the bronze I may have something. To sum it up build it and have all the fun that the kit was designed to give you. Gary

I THOUGHT I had the kit in question, as I'd once intended to do much the same conversion as the OP has indicated. But I wanted to dig it out and verify a few things before I commented on it.

Found it.

I now recall why I shelved it after taking the parts out and looking at it several years back.

The proportions and lines are SO FAR OFF, the poor thing only vaguely resembles a C111. It's easily as bad as anything Palmer or Premier or Pyro ever made.

AND...There are several versions of the C111. The car represented ON the box IS NOT the version IN the box...and it's actually an amalgam of elements from different cars.

It will take a LOT of work to make even a passable curbside. A LOT.

I seem to recall I paid over $50 for it back then, and it was pretty much a waste of money.

The kit has very limited value to an average modeler who wants a reasonably accurate C111 in his collection.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

THANK YOU for all the comments.
I did buy it recently, part of the eBay sickness you people got me infected with (gotta blame others you know).
Yes, as Ace-Garageguy pointed out, it's a POS, but that is the challenge for some of us, since we tend to be unable to build anything box stock anyway.  That is what makes it intriguing for me.
Far as what is collectible, I do have a bunch of Fujimi kits, three 1/16 scale for example.  I also have the AMT Stealth Indy 500 pace car kit, since that was controversial at the time and not used, otherwise would not have bought it, and it's sealed.  I also have the R&D Exotics Chaparral 2J "Sucker" car, which has not been produced for a long time, so I imagine building a diorama with a guy putting on the second Hoover sponsorship logo, with a Jim Hall figure holding a letter saying "somebitches banned it" would be punishable somehow.  Oh yea, also have a Dukes Of Hazzard kit with the Politically Incorrect decal, but no interest building it, so whatever.