Model Cars Magazine Forum

American Lafrance Tower Ladder UPDATED 2-14-18

I decided to share my American Lafrance build here. I've been building a lot of fire trucks for clients but I've decided I'm going to keep this one. I use parts from the Trumpeter pumper kits to flesh out my builds. As a result I have a bunch of left over ALF parts. I decided to use the spares to build a tower ladder. My truck will be similar to this one but not exactly the same.

BourneTwr126JG-vi.jpg

I started with a drawing I found on the net that had a great side shot:

by_misterpsychopath3001d8aafh3-vi.png

I figured out the wheel base and then stretched the frame:

0123181637a-vi.jpg

The body on this truck is very complicated so I decided to make it in three pieces. I started with the middle section first:

0126181508-vi.jpg

The raised cab is from Models by Dave

Next I built the front section of the body:

0128181233-vi.jpg

And finally I built the rear section:

0129181723-vi.jpg

This truck will have working out riggers, working lights and sound and movable ladder. 

There is a long way to go with this build as I have to build the ladder from scratch. 

Thanks for looking!

Edited by am73grand

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been slow on this one but I'm making progress. I started laying out the compartment doors. I had quite a few Trumpeter bodies laying around so I used the doors off of them. Some were shortened to fit the truck.

0130181647-vi.jpg

This truck will be part of a diorama so I am going to have some of the compartment doors open, I used spare ALF pieces for the compartment interiors.

0131181507-vi.jpg

I also started on the outriggers. They don't seem to come out far enough so I will probably make them longer. If it's a diorama truck they don't have to go in and out.

received_10211278410421704-vi.jpg

0206181551-vi.jpg

As of right now I'm adding the diamond tread plate to the top of the truck body. I have to add a bit more and then I can prime it.

Thanks for looking!

• 3 weeks later...