Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri 2018

chuckyr

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Wonder if the photo of Land Rover fire truck shown on page 14, is of the model (series II) they're releasing

Land Rover series

That one has my attention, curious to see where they go with it. I have a couple of old Corgi and Dinky Land Rover fire trucks from when I was a kid, but none are made from a 4 door wagon.

I'm not too big on European semis, but I like the look of that black Volvo cabover. It looks kind of evil, and would fit in well in a Death Race style movie.  

3 hours ago, chuckyr said:

I purposely left that page out.  I only post information on trucks.  Not Sports Utility Cars!

That's weird...Luc's initial post mentioning page 14 doesn't make sense without page 14 being posted. 

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Aaronw said:

That one has my attention, curious to see where they go with it. I have a couple of old Corgi and Dinky Land Rover fire trucks from when I was a kid, but none are made from a 4 door wagon.

To my knowledge Esci never did a 4dr. but Polistil did a diecast, which I had as a kid, but don't remember if it had fender or grille mounted headlamps.

Anyway...gonna try via FB to get some info from Italeri on this one...

8 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

To my knowledge Esci never did a 4dr. but Polistil did a diecast, which I had as a kid, but don't remember if it had fender or grille mounted headlamps.

That is interesting..don't think I know of a kit of the a 4dr Series III....  I've never had any of the ESCI Land Rover or Range Rover kits, may have to get these.  I have the Aoshima Range Rover and Monogram Land Rover...

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

That is interesting..don't think I know of a kit of the a 4dr Series III....  I've never had any of the ESCI Land Rover or Range Rover kits, may have to get these.  I have the Aoshima Range Rover and Monogram Land Rover...

They're not bad, but there's one pesky thing on the Range Rover, which is the taillites, they're molded in very thick clear plastic, and thus prone to sinkmarks, something you don't want on clear parts.

And in case this isn't common knowledge here, they're both curbsides

Not really that much of interest. I'll get the freightliners as base kits for Mack conversions from auslowe. But of a shame there's not a new American big rig. With the Volvo licensing, surely a Mack would be doable? Even Lego has done a Mack Anthem due to their licensing with Volvo.

Ben

7 minutes ago, Bennyg said:

Not really that much of interest. I'll get the freightliners as base kits for Mack conversions from auslowe. But of a shame there's not a new American big rig. With the Volvo licensing, surely a Mack would be doable? Even Lego has done a Mack Anthem due to their licensing with Volvo.

Ben

Maybe in the not too distant future Drake collectibles, will release some interesting big rigs, cuz the last time I contacted them, they said they didn't abandon the model kit productline.

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Maybe in the not too distant future Drake collectibles, will release some interesting big rigs, cuz the last time I contacted them, they said they didn't abandon the model kit productline.

Drake did say that the tooling for the 1/24 model kits is back in China, so hopefully they've got it right.

Ben

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The picture in the catalog isn't very good. I just assumed 4 doors. The toy Land Rover fire apparatus I have are a Short  80 or  88" WB with a fire trailer, and a 109" cab and chassis with a custom fire body. New tool would be nice, but I will take what I can, not a lot readily available for Land Rovers bigger than 1/35.

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Personally, I'm very disappointed.  Italeri hasn't offered an all new tool American truck model subject since they offered the Volvo VN kits way back in the early 2000s.  I have been emailing them, writing on their FB page, posting on forums they would listen to, harassing and cajoling them to offer some new American big rig truck and trailer subjects for years.  I have gotten questions directly from them such as, what specific subjects would you want, how much would you be willing to spend, what kind of detail would you like and how would you feel about kits with limited drive train detail. 

As recently as 2016, Italeri had an on line survey specifically about truck kits.  They actually took the time to tally all of the suggestions and present them on their FB page. This was one of at least two surveys Italeri presented on their FB page since it was established.  

Evidently, the survey was just a ruse.  In fact, the new Scania s730 announced last year has been shelve.

Someone said on FB that don't expect any new truck kits from Italeri, at least until 2020.

Italeri hasn't done many new tools in at least the past 5 years. They scaled up a couple of helicopters from 1/72 to 1/48, and modified some tooling to offer additional options, but I'm coming up blank on other new kits. It's mostly been re-issues or bringing back Esci kits. They did do a Short Sterling and Short Sunderland which were pretty major 1/72 aircraft kits, but I'm thinking those are pushing 7 or 8 years at this point. I'm not seeing any new tools in the posted catalog. I don't know their Euro trucks that well, so maybe something there, but I recognize many as re-issues.

Italeri used to be one of the leaders in helicopter kits but they haven't done much there either. I know many requested a Sikorsky HH-3 "Jolly Green Giant" when they put out those polls. It is one of the iconic helicopters of the Vietnam war and is badly in need of a modern kit since the only existing kits were tooled up during the Vietnam war. A variant was also used by the Italian military and Italeri is known to favor Italian subjects, so that would be another plus in its favor. No movement there either and that would seem to have more going for it, smaller investment and larger market.

It's not just trucks being neglected, I think Italeri is just on a couple of years new kit pause. Hopefully they are regrouping getting ready for some really exciting new subjects. 

Edited by Aaronw

9 hours ago, chuckyr said:

Personally, I'm very disappointed.  Italeri hasn't offered an all new tool American truck model subject since they offered the Volvo VN kits way back in the early 2000s.  I have been emailing them, writing on their FB page, posting on forums they would listen to, harassing and cajoling them to offer some new American big rig truck and trailer subjects for years.  I have gotten questions directly from them such as, what specific subjects would you want, how much would you be willing to spend, what kind of detail would you like and how would you feel about kits with limited drive train detail. 

As recently as 2016, Italeri had an on line survey specifically about truck kits.  They actually took the time to tally all of the suggestions and present them on their FB page. This was one of at least two surveys Italeri presented on their FB page since it was established.  

Evidently, the survey was just a ruse.  In fact, the new Scania s730 announced last year has been shelve.

Someone said on FB that don't expect any new truck kits from Italeri, at least until 2020.

Italeri done a great job on the Merccedes Benz Actros MP4. A Mack Anthem/Titan/granite or new KW produced to that standard would definitely be welcome. Shame about the Scania. Hopefully Drake comes through with their K200 KW and low loader. Drake has sent the prototypes back to China, so we might be in luck.

Ben

I would expect italeri are releasing the old esci kits to capitalise on how much they have gone up in value in europe recently. The transit was selling for over £100 every time on ebay and even broken built ups were hitting £60. I cant remember the last time i saw the range rover or land rovers but the esci 70s rally cars they released are selling really well. I hope they are doing this to build funds for some new tooling. If I was in charge thats what I would do, but I'm not a business man