Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Roadrunner

That's the way it goes dude.

Until someone decides to revisit some of these old kits, you're going to have to pay whatever the market demands.

If you think that a Johan '69 Road Runner is expensive, try scoring an MPC '68 Coronet!

nobody is going to offer you a kit that's worth $80.00 for a ten spot.

You have to pay to play in some instances.

Steve

Keep looking for a project. The reissues of the ‘69 Jo Han Road Runner had the wrong interior anyway (the ‘70 Superbird’s). 

If you ever score a body set up, check out Hart’s Parts, he does a ton of ‘69 Road Runner and GTX stuff. Keep looking, you might get lucky and find a partial built or project for less than crazy money. 

From there, throw the chassis from an AMT ‘68 Road Runner/ ‘69 GTX or ‘70 Super Bee under it. You gain a lot of detail that way.

On 2/4/2018 at 4:56 PM, CapSat 6 said:

Keep looking for a project. The reissues of the ‘69 Jo Han Road Runner had the wrong interior anyway (the ‘70 Superbird’s). 

If you ever score a body set up, check out Hart’s Parts, he does a ton of ‘69 Road Runner and GTX stuff. Keep looking, you might get lucky and find a partial built or project for less than crazy money. 

From there, throw the chassis from an AMT ‘68 Road Runner/ ‘69 GTX or ‘70 Super Bee under it. You gain a lot of detail that way.

AMT chassis will not fit the Johan body. The wheelbase is 1 scale inch too long. AMT chassis is for a Dodge and not the 1inch shorter wheelbase of a Plymouth.

17 hours ago, Peavus said:

AMT chassis will not fit the Johan body. The wheelbase is 1 scale inch too long. AMT chassis is for a Dodge and not the 1inch shorter wheelbase of a Plymouth.

With a little trimming, the AMT chassis still should work. I wouldn't be as concerned with the wheelbase as I would be with the way the firewall, quarter floors, and radiator surround fit the body. I think the Jo han body will be slightly smaller in these areas.

If I were concerned about the 1:1 1" difference in wheelbase, I would probably just either adjust the rear axle forward 1", or cut 1 scale inch out of the chassis pan in the middle, and rejoin it (really, just a tiny bit in scale - two or three swipes of a razor saw at most). As long as the wheels are centered within the wheel arches as they should be, you will be ok.

I think the benefits of gaining much more detail by using the AMT chassis rather than the Jo Han one outweigh the trimming you would need to do, but it will be your model, after all. I have a few Jo Han '69's and my plan is to use the AMT chassis whenever possible.

None of these bodies are known for being 100% true to scale. If you start measuring them, I think you will find that most of them are off a little bit from where they should be. Rumor has it most of the Jo Han kits were slightly underscale, but they always seemed to more or less match up to the corresponding MPC Dodges to my eye, although I have never put a ruler to them to see. The Jo Han and MPC bodies look good to my eye and I don't want to ruin that! :)  

• 1 month later...
On 8.2.2018 at 7:51 PM, mademan said:

anyone have a pic of the Harts Parts 69 Roadrunner 6BBL hood? there is only 1 picture on the site and its a front , overhead view.....

I started working on my A12 Roadrunner three years ago and when I was searching for hood stuff back then I didn´t like what was offered. I ended up modifying the stock hood from my Johan Roadrunner with a reshaped scoop from Revell´s ´68 Charger Special Edition. Since the Johan hood is flat on the bottom, all details on the top can be easily sanded down without fear of destroying the hood. I added the center molding with sheet and finally blended in the scoop. The bottom side of the hood was also modified to make it look as accurate as possible.

20160623_142023.jpg.bd22cf025c5147618bcaa049928802e2.jpg

20160623_142159.jpg.2d019ca7f21611826570fdf176e15393.jpg

20160623_142238.jpg.ba6d5e399b0cf66e06dff83cea0070cc.jpg

20160623_140446.jpg.e350b3cb48711389543a615a3d038d46.jpg

Some may notice the chassis swap. Revell´s ´68 Charger donated its chassis and the engine bay. It had to be shortened 2 millimeters or so, but otherwise fits like a glove. I still wouldn´t do it again...this conversion is pushing me to my limits. I´m faced with a very difficult final assembly situation as everything is supertight due to me going nuts on this thing...

On 3/21/2018 at 7:15 PM, 440 6BBL said:

I started working on my A12 Roadrunner three years ago and when I was searching for hood stuff back then I didn´t like what was offered. I ended up modifying the stock hood from my Johan Roadrunner with a reshaped scoop from Revell´s ´68 Charger Special Edition. Since the Johan hood is flat on the bottom, all details on the top can be easily sanded down without fear of destroying the hood. I added the center molding with sheet and finally blended in the scoop. The bottom side of the hood was also modified to make it look as accurate as possible.

20160623_142023.jpg.bd22cf025c5147618bcaa049928802e2.jpg

20160623_142159.jpg.2d019ca7f21611826570fdf176e15393.jpg

20160623_142238.jpg.ba6d5e399b0cf66e06dff83cea0070cc.jpg

20160623_140446.jpg.e350b3cb48711389543a615a3d038d46.jpg

Some may notice the chassis swap. Revell´s ´68 Charger donated its chassis and the engine bay. It had to be shortened 2 millimeters or so, but otherwise fits like a glove. I still wouldn´t do it again...this conversion is pushing me to my limits. I´m faced with a very difficult final assembly situation as everything is supertight due to me going nuts on this thing...

WOW!!! incredible work!.. where did you get the decals from the 6bbl hood decal and the roadrunners?

@mademan I used stuff from my favorite decal-dude Keith Marks. I just dig his homegrown decals. I ordered two different sheets...one for Roadrunners and one for GTX´s or so. I think the 6BBL decals were on both sheets, but you can just say what you need when dealing with him. You`ll get a Charles Bronson style reaction. He just grabs your cash and soon after there are decals for you that can turn whatever you are working on into a little jewel. Pricey, but worth the investment if you keep his stuff for your more graily builds. It was a no-brainer for example to grab decals for a Johan Rebel Machine and I´m soon ordering stuff for my MPC Charger Family. ´68 Charger, ´69 Charger, ´69 Charger 500, ´69 Charger Daytona and ´70 Charger. Still need to get me unbuilt and complete annuals from ´68 and ´69, though.

Looks great.Iam trying to finish a 69 Superbee.I've been held up with the wheels and tires.I have been trying to reach Fireball hobbies to buy a set of their black steel wheels and tires,but I haven't heard anything back.You wouldn't have a spare set by any chance?

• 2 weeks later...