Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toy fair 2018 news and pictures.

24 minutes ago, The Creative Explorer said:

One other things that is interesting, is the Ford GT. The snap kit has about 27 parts, but Revell shows a Ford GT with 120 parts, which indicates a glue kit.

Dave Thibodeau built the Ford GT test shot for Revell GmbH; he gives it very high marks for OOB fit, stance, body appearance. It's a completely different kit than the snap kit, full detail, especially good interior detail. Body broken into similar pieces as snap kit for easy painting. I can't wait...almost makes me forget that Revell has forgotten doing a full-detail stock GT, or Mustang GT, or Corvette Z06/Grand Sport/ZR1...

55 minutes ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I was hoping of some pictures of the Porsche 356 from Revell, but it might be too soon for that.

One other things that is interesting, is the Ford GT. The snap kit has about 27 parts, but Revell shows a Ford GT with 120 parts, which indicates a glue kit.

The Ford GT, snap kit is completely different from the Le Mans GT. The GT is just the US version in Revell Germany box. The Le Mans is a full kit, new tooling of the Le Mans car, two different models. 

Im very much looking forward to the Le Mans car, would of been nice for them to put it out 2 years ago with the race program only having another year of life in it. But I'll take it. From the build up it looks like it has decals for at least 2 of the cars. Hopefully the others are  included too. I will be building more than one for sure.

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

Looks like the 356 Cabrio has only about 50 parts extra over the Coupe, so I wonder how different they are?

From what I understood, mainly the engine bay is different. I should receive both 356's anyway, so I can compare them when they come in.

2 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Dave Thibodeau built the Ford GT test shot for Revell GmbH; he gives it very high marks for OOB fit, stance, body appearance. It's a completely different kit than the snap kit, full detail, especially good interior detail. Body broken into similar pieces as snap kit for easy painting. I can't wait...almost makes me forget that Revell has forgotten doing a full-detail stock GT, or Mustang GT, or Corvette Z06/Grand Sport/ZR1...

Didn't know he did, going to search for that build.  From the sound of it, seems like a nice new kit.

1 minute ago, The Creative Explorer said:

Didn't know he did, going to search for that build.  From the sound of it, seems like a nice new kit.

There's no build online, just attributed to Dave and I asked him some questions about it. Until yesterday nobody but perhaps a few of his closest friends knew about the kit he was building to be revealed at the hobby show.

14 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

There's no build online, just attributed to Dave and I asked him some questions about it. Until yesterday nobody but perhaps a few of his closest friends knew about the kit he was building to be revealed at the hobby show.

That saves me from a lot of digging : thanks haha

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I didn't expect to see an isuzu car,  especially with the bonnet open

Isuzu is due out in February. I think the open hood might be to accommodate a year change? Looking at chassis it’s molded up like a curbside and I don’t see any engine parts...

Just now, Erik Smith said:

Isuzu is due out in February. I think the open hood might be to accommodate a year change? Looking at chassis it’s molded up like a curbside and I don’t see any engine parts...

That's what I assume...that has become a common approach w/ Hasegawa to support multiple years and other variations of new releases.

11 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

You are spot on Erik, its just like the Probox from Aoshima, the hood opens but there is no engine,  that is done so they can back date the body, plus the entire front clip being separate :lol:

3 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

I can't wait...almost makes me forget that Revell has forgotten doing a full-detail stock GT, or Mustang GT, or Corvette Z06/Grand Sport/ZR1...

Well, it is a race car that has competed in and won international events, so it has a broad audience, kind of different category than 1/25th scale models of US market street cars, though I'm still irritated that Revell is ignoring adult modelers that want modern full-detail subjects..

Edited by Rob Hall

5 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

I got a look at the test shot of this full-detail kit a couple of months ago.  We were rushed and I could not study it closely, but my impression after a quick look mirrors Bob's and Dave's statements.  It appeared to be a highly detailed kit with full underbody/chassis/engine detail.  Everything a full detail model builder would want.  My preliminary thoughts are that the kit will be a winner.    TIM     

3 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

In the grand scheme of things, the GT LeMans is likely the kit that would sell the most vs. stock GT or Mustang or Corvette street variants. Universal/global appeal, and hopefully able to be reissued w/later liveries. 

So long as they actually tooled up the later spec race parts.  There is a pretty significant difference in the rear splitters between the 2016 car and the '17'/'18 car, along with different headlights and a few other tweaks here and there.

Ya know Ganassi ran FOUR of those in 2016, and both the livery shown on the box, and the one that's built are the two worst finishing cars.  They didn't even podium in their class, why show those two off when you'd have to hope the 68 & 69 placards are in there to do the 1st and 2nd place cars....(third was a Ferrari).

Alright now after sitting down and actually looking at it, the BOX ART car is a 2016 24 Hrs of Le Mans car, the TEST SHOT build is a 2017 24hrs of Le Mans car...which is also missing the 24hrs of Le Mans logo on the number placards, but whatever it's early run decals.  But the rest of the sponsorship and the placement of the numbers on the built kit are definitely the 2017 car that finished 2nd.  Soooooo which kit are we getting exactly, as you can't split the difference and deliver an accurate kit of either if you try to include livery for both, unless there are two rear splitters and headlight choices in the box.