Model Cars Magazine Forum

the Big Bentley

DarylH

I had always wanted the 1/12 Airfix Bentley ever since John Steed and Mrs. Peel were tooling around in one.......yeah that goes back a ways....

Now that I've scored one on the 'bay has anyone here built one? Any tips or 'sites to check out would be greatly appreciated!

The model bench is packed away for some home improvements so cyber-modeling is the best I can manage right now :cry:

• 7 months later...

Hi Daryl,

Just spotted this post, I'm not going to be a great help I'm afraid as I too have the Big Bentley awaiting its place on the bench.

It's a nostalgia build for me also having wanted one as a youngster when it was way out of my reach both fiscally and physically.

However I do have a good modelling pal that has built a very impressive example and the biggest single tip he gave me was..............

When assembling the tyres upon the wheels to pack the interior of them with plasticene or the like. He says that without this the weight of the model deforms them in a most unrealistic manner, possibly irrevocably.

Also went on to say this is a much easier operation during the build than after................... hope that's of some use to you?

Cheers............. Yad'

A little easier than plasticene is "Backer Rod" It is a tubular foam weather stripping and is sold at Lowe's and most home improvement stores. It comes in various sizes and will fit most large scale car and bike tires. 20 feet for about $5.00.

• 4 months later...

This is a beautifully accurate and detailed kit that takes some care in building. The headlight and fender mounting brackets are extremely thin and fragile, so you have to watch out for that. Just a few other observations about reference material...

• This kit was produced over 30 years ago, based on a car that has since been bought and restored by Ralph Lauren. This car can be seen in "The Great Cars" by Ralph Stein and the book on the 2005 Lauren collection exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, "Speed, Style, and Beauty."

• A color cutaway illustration of a similar car (one of 5 "Birkin Bentleys" as they were called), a detailed photo foldout and an article on the 4-1/1 litre blower Bentley can be found in issue 11 of The Encyclopedia of SuperCars, a discontinued magazine series (though fresh copies are available in the UK at magsbackissues.com).

The kit looks terrific when you use real wire mesh instead of painting molded clear parts for stone guards and radiator. Another detail touch for accuracy is to add 4 cylindrical wheel weights per wheel, evenly spaced around the inside middle of the rims.

Daryl.................

Please find enclosed a link to a terrific build thread of this very kit, I found it posted elsewhere and the re-awakening of this thread reminded me to post it.

The thread is unfortunately in German I believe but the pic's tell most of the tale. I certainly found a lot of useful ideas and tips within it - it now resides in my favourites and I vieww it often to keep the juices flowing.

Big Bentley build album.

Hope you find this useful and enjoyable?................... Andi

• 5 months later...

I have built several of them over the past few decades. It's actually quite straightforward.

The only tip I'm really stressing to you is put bare metal foil between the tyres and rims - othersise the tyres 'eat' the plastic after a few years. You also have to 'stuff' the tyres with cotton wool, otherwise they collapse underthe weight of the model.

And replace the plastic 'wire mesh' for the grille and headlamps with real wire guaze. Other than that, a nice and surprisingly easy build.

I have built several of them over the past few decades. It's actually quite straightforward.

The only tip I'm really stressing to you is put bare metal foil between the tyres and rims - othersise the tyres 'eat' the plastic after a few years. You also have to 'stuff' the tyres with cotton wool, otherwise they collapse underthe weight of the model.

And replace the plastic 'wire mesh' for the grille and headlamps with real wire guaze. Other than that, a nice and surprisingly easy build.

I've heard that a couple of times. However, the one I built in 1972 is sitting on the shelf now with no tire problems.

I've heard that a couple of times. However, the one I built in 1972 is sitting on the shelf now with no tire problems.

Everything made before 1973 is superior in quality to anything made ever since. I'm sure I built later editions. If you happen to build a later release, you should play it safe and follow my advice.

Never heard about metal foil between the 'hungry' tires and the plastic rims before: Great Tip!

But, what is "Wire Gauze"? (is this a 'screen' from somewhere other than a hardware store or builders' supply?)

Another great tip with the "steel wool", as we know it on this side of the pond. :D

But, what is "Wire Gauze"? (is this a 'screen' from somewhere other than a hardware store or builders' supply?)

It is a metal mesh that is used to strain petrol for example. Comes in all kinds of sizes and should be available in your local diy shop.