Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Willys - final update 5/24

Jantrix

This is my entry for this years Cannonball. After so many in-completes, my goal this year, is keep the amount of custom work to a minimum so I actually finish the model in the 11 months allotted.

So the plan,

1. Engine swapped to a single turbo 225 slant six, with a modern automatic tranny from an AMT 5.7L hemi.

2. Wheel / tires from the AMT Phantom Vickie

3. Bumpers from the Monogram '37 Ford coupe

4. Paint and assemble

That's it. Here's where I'm at. Hope you like it. I'm kicking around a hydro dipped paint job, because I've always wanted to, and with wraps in the 1:1 world, literally anything is possible on a car.

25151515657_af9961121f_z.jpg

26149295578_4314ff2d30_z.jpg

28243228849_e2c8bbf902_z.jpg

40022001841_246900d703_z.jpg

40021998711_99a9d5d39e_z.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

I tried last night to drill the runners on the stock intake for the EFI system, but that didn't go so well. So I have a new plan. I'm going to scratch build something like you might find on a 2JZ or other modern car with a throttle body.

OLD PLAN                                                                                                                                           NEW PLAN

1.jpg.91b0f492641a8f6792328f658d30c897.jpg2JZ-set1.jpg.c3a6811e4726e561da27ecd2ddcc351a.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

More work on the intake. If I was going to do this again, I'd do this very differently. A top mounted intercooler would have been much more appropriate here. So the intake shape would have been very different. I'm going to do a pale green color with some patina and hot rod door art.

38549955280_94560652ac_z.jpg

25488223437_eccfb1a41f_z.jpg

39649086234_ff060d3d48_z.jpg

This is awesome I'm a big fan of in-line 6's I rebuilt a 67 Mustang GT after I retired 5 years ago and went with a built up 200 in-line 6 the factory hp was 125 it now puts out 265 more than the stock 302. I will watch this one keep those pictures coming and as for the new chrome pen's they are the best thing in modeling in years in fact the very first thing I used it on was a valve cover for a slant 6 like you did.

Please swap the two front tires side to side so the tread is going the other direction. :D

Great idea to use the Slant Six here. I've always like the Lindberg engine and it's fairly well detailed right out of the box, but as you've shown, really comes alive with updates and modifications. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Please swap the two front tires side to side so the tread is going the other direction. :D

Great idea to use the Slant Six here. I've always like the Lindberg engine and it's fairly well detailed right out of the box, but as you've shown, really comes alive with updates and modifications. 

Ugh. they were already glued up when I noticed. I don't really care enough to risk breaking suspension parts to fix it. 

3 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

This is awesome I'm a big fan of in-line 6's I rebuilt a 67 Mustang GT after I retired 5 years ago and went with a built up 200 in-line 6 the factory hp was 125 it now puts out 265 more than the stock 302. I will watch this one keep those pictures coming and as for the new chrome pen's they are the best thing in modeling in years in fact the very first thing I used it on was a valve cover for a slant 6 like you did.

Thanks Rick. I'm a big fan of the I-6's too. They are just such a break from the norm. I've put three chevys into various hot rods, but this is my first slant 6. I've owned one in 1:1 years ago and I'm a fan.

20 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Ugh. they were already glued up when I noticed. I don't really care enough to risk breaking suspension parts to fix it. 

Thanks Rick. I'm a big fan of the I-6's too. They are just such a break from the norm. I've put three chevys into various hot rods, but this is my first slant 6. I've owned one in 1:1 years ago and I'm a fan.

Thanks I know what you mean my 1:1 Mustang gets big looks at the local shows in 2013 Mr. Gene Windfield was at one of the shows I was at he liked it and he sigend the under part of my hood I have 6 coats of clear over it. 20 years ago you could not give a six away but try to find one now you will pay big LOL. Can't wait to see your project done.

I had a slant 6 in my '64 Dodge Dart.  Put on a hyper pack with headers in the wheel well.  Torsion bars were cranked up so the front sat high.  Helper springs out back got the rear end up.  had "Lambcharger" painted on the truck lid.  Also replaced the taillights with flat red plexiglass and used crinkled tin foil as a reflector.  Made the lights look really cool.  Good strong engine.

I had a '73 Scamp with a 198ci slant. She was super easy to work on and always did right by me. I'd planned to swap in a 318 or 340 police engine when the Diplomats were replaced by newer police cars, but they were never made available to the public where I was living. I sold her when the family seriously needed a four door. I miss that car.

• 1 month later...

Updated photos on the Willys. A relocation of the intercooler to the firewall, to take advantgae of the vent in the hood, prompted a redesign of the intake. Rather than another scratch intake, I'm using the stock intake. I'll fabricate a throttle body to go in place of the carb and a fuel rail on the intake runners. 

27157477978_a20d4e8281_z.jpg

40319985834_c25bda4fff_z.jpg

41028698141_941c3a3114_z.jpg

41028700451_f771b2fda6_z.jpg