Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Stink Bug' - detailed-up AMT Superbug Showrod Beetle build

CabDriver

So, this is a build for a contest on the Coffin Corner showrod site where members submitted names and everyone got someone else's name and had to build something to suit it.  The contest finished last month, but I had a name left and still wanted to finish this one!  Well, start it, finally...I've had since September :D The name I got was "Stink Bug" - and I kept thinking and thinking but I kept coming back to the (obvious) idea of using a Beetle kit.  I picked up a Tamiya kit, and a Revell one too but neither of them inspired me much as hard as I tried, but then I saw this AMT Superbug kit on Amazon Daily Deals and had it delivered for $18 ?

AMT1044-2.jpg?1488435084

Its a nice kit - shows it's age a little with some flash and sink marks and stuff but some really nice pad printed tires and some option parts and stuff - a couple of choices of building options and tires and glass and decals and so on.

I actually built the engine up already as per the instructions but decided I wanted to do a more detailed one once I was finished, so I have another kit on the way and I'll come back with some more details on that later.  I figured whilst I wait for that I'd handle the body.

First up, I glued the separate hood on to see how it fit.  I'll leave the trunk lid off so the engine is easier to see - plus I've heard from people who've built this that the trunk doesn't fit anyway with the engine in

2v2J98jtSxue8Lf.jpg

The fit isnt awful but can definitely be better - so I filled those recessed trim lines on the nose so I can rescribe them and where the top of the hood meets the body will need some reshaping.  So, I shot some primer to get an idea of how much work lay ahead

2v2J9Moskxue8Lf.jpg

Not awful - but the windshield needs a little tidy up, those gutters have some flash, and I need to rescribe the lines on the front and level them out nicely.  Some sanding and rescribing later...

2v2J9M2dWxue8Lf.jpg

Whilst the hood fit nice there were a couple of little gaps visible that let light in - really hard to see, but enough to bother me from certain angles so I tucked some round bar styrene in there just to resolve that.  Late in the build, if you follow the directions, they tell you to add a couple of mounts inside either door to mount the chassis to the body.  I didn't want to mess around with gluing parts to the inside of the finished painted body, so I mounted those now too

2v2J9MCNLxue8Lf.jpg

Fits great!

2v2J9MLwhxue8Lf.jpg

I sprayed the inside of the body flat black, and then sprayed the rest with Createx Pearl Emerald Green - this stuff lays down NICE

2v2JudKcyxue8Lf.jpg
2v2JudKVLxue8Lf.jpg

This is before I've cleared it too!  I laid down a couple of layers of clear so that I could mask over it for the next step - this color REALLY pops in the sunlight!

2v2JErWQCxue8Lf.jpg

Next up, I'm going to lay down some graphics on the doors there - something vintage gasser inspired

So, after the paint had dried a couple of days and I was confident I could mask over it I designed some graphics to get the build name on the doors.

2v2JHj7ngxue8Lf.jpg

I cut out the design on my vinyl cutter to make masks - you can just see the cuts on the vinyl if you look closely:

2v2JHj7zGxue8Lf.jpg

This might get confusing with regards the order of events, but it'll all make sense in the end...

So, first I masked up the doors:

2v2JHj7FGxue8Lf.jpg

And laid down a Createx yellow-gold pearl base color

2v2JHj7qWxue8Lf.jpg

Then, after that dried for a couple of days gave a gentle gradient from the edges with Tamiya clear red and orange

2v2JHjf1sxue8Lf.jpg

Next up, I masked again (after a couple of days of drying) with this kinda 60s looking funky spiral pattern...

2v2JHjKeLxue8Lf.jpg

And misted on some Createx opaque white.  I chose the opaque Createx because it covers REALLY well over any color, but you can mist it on lightly to get some variation in shade too

2v2JHjKuTxue8Lf.jpg

And remove the mask...

2v2JHjKvgxue8Lf.jpg

Confused yet?  I was.  Next up, I applied masks for the actual lettering...

2v2JHjK2Cxue8Lf.jpg

And sprayed black

2v2JHjbqqxue8Lf.jpg

And, carefully started to demask...

2v2JHjbDgxue8Lf.jpg

Looks ok so far...

And tada!

2v2JHjbuWxue8Lf.jpg

Needs a touchup on the edges but nothing major - and then it's ready for clear!

Onto the chassis and interior next...my chassis had a flaw or some damage right out of the box that will need some attention - it'll be ALMOST completely hidden anyway when it's done but it was bugging me so I had to fix it...

2v2J988s4xue8Lf.jpg

I cut out the affected area and used a couple of strips of styrene sheet to get the thickness right and build it back up

2v2J98zWWxue8Lf.jpg
2v2J98z8nxue8Lf.jpg

A little filler to smooth it out and it'll be perfect!  I painted the underside black to simulate undercoat, and then painted the interior floor Tamiya flat aluminum.  Whilst that was drying I painted the trans tunnel, the front axle, the seats and some inner doors that I scratchbuilt as the kit doesn't have any

2v2JErWJ4xue8Lf.jpg

I imagined the interior looking like all green vinyl to match the body - but it was too much green, so I added some black to the seat and bottom of the door cards - much better!

2v2JEr7a5xue8Lf.jpg

I didn't really like  the molded-in lapbelt on the seat, so I added a little photoetch and some matt vinyl sign material to the seats

2v2JErY3Cxue8Lf.jpg

I like it!

2v2JErtYWxue8Lf.jpg

More soon, or as soon as I get to it! :D

35 minutes ago, Slotto said:

So cool! I know I would have messed up one of those steps.

Ohh, I messed up ALL of them - and its particularly obvious to me in these bigger-than-life pictures...but I'm pretty pleased with it as it looks on my bench here!

16 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Looks great! Would have taken me a couple of tries to get that lettering done in the correct order!

It would've made more sense to just outline the letters after, or do the black first...but its slightly easier to lay the vinyl masks up this way and get it how I wanted.

Thanks for looking fellas!

14 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Huh. That’s really cool. 

What type of vinyl do you use?

I've got a big roll of signwriter's vinyl here that someone gave me - it's designed to be used on vehicles and and store windows and stuff.  It's not ideal - proper frisket would be better as it's translucent and thinner...but the price was right on this stuff and it kinda works! 

I started this kit as a quick build challenge last year, but ran into paint issues on the body due to mold release(my fault, didn't wash the body) so I stripped the paint and threw it back in the box. Coincidently enough the same color. I'll be following along on yours for assembly tips, you've helped already with the tip on installing the floor supports into the body before paint. I agree, the instructions are vague on many assemblies.

• 4 weeks later...

Ever onwards, next thing was building the engine.  I actually built a lightly detailed one already, but cracked open another kit so I could make a more detailed version...

The inner edges of the engine aren't super flat (and glue won't stick to them very well anyway), so I flattened the two engine halves on a diamond file before glueing:

2v2JbezMCxue8Lf.jpg

Next up, flattened a couple of imperfections in the back of the shroud and masked with some poster tack before painting it black to match the box art (which I'm loosely following here):

2v2JKyYi5xue8Lf.jpg

Then assembled the bulk of the chrome bits and the 2-piece shroud after drilling the engine for plug wires.  In that little baggie are some 3d printed distributors that I had made - I'm going to use one on this build

2v2JKy7vNxue8Lf.jpg

The coil is a pretty prominent part in a Beetle engine bay, so I used a nice machined one for this, and in this pic you can see the pulleys I made from PE parts and some tubestock - they still need a little tidyup at this point...

2v2JKySiTxue8Lf.jpg

And here's the little bracket (which actually bolts together to hold it tight!) that'll hold it in place

2v2JKyS4Vxue8Lf.jpg

Like so!  That generator is scratchbuilt too, and has a little hole in where the real one would...and a commutator too!

2v2JKySSLxue8Lf.jpg

2v2JKySTCxue8Lf.jpg

I used the kit carbs, but swapped out the oil filler for a machined piece with a photo etched cap, then (carefully) wired her up and added the fanbelt:

2v2JpsNNMxue8Lf.jpg

2v2Jpsj95xue8Lf.jpg

2v2JpsjM8xue8Lf.jpg

Looks cool in the chassis!

2v2Jps9mdxue8Lf.jpg

And looks cool hanging out of the back too!

2v2JpsHfgxue8Lf.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with it!  Did a couple of other tiny bits in the last couple of weeks too - fixed some rough edges on the signwriting

2v2Jpsdidxue8Lf.jpg

And started scratchbuilding a dash

2v2JpsWzjxue8Lf.jpg

More soon!

On 2/6/2018 at 5:02 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

I started this kit as a quick build challenge last year, but ran into paint issues on the body due to mold release(my fault, didn't wash the body) so I stripped the paint and threw it back in the box. Coincidently enough the same color. I'll be following along on yours for assembly tips, you've helped already with the tip on installing the floor supports into the body before paint. I agree, the instructions are vague on many assemblies.

Another thing I forgot to mention in the post above, is that the heater shroud/firewall piece doesn't fit particularly well, and it's hard to get a positive fit that holds together nicely.  A couple of pins and locating holes are WELL worth doing to avoid frustration (ask me how I know that...)

Got a link to your build?  I'd love to see!

• CabDriver changed the title to 'Stink Bug' - detailed-up AMT Superbug Showrod Beetle build
13 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Another thing I forgot to mention in the post above, is that the heater shroud/firewall piece doesn't fit particularly well, and it's hard to get a positive fit that holds together nicely.  A couple of pins and locating holes are WELL worth doing to avoid frustration (ask me how I know that...)

Got a link to your build?  I'd love to see!

No, I didn't get past the stage of stripping the paint. It looks like a fun little kit if you take a little care with it. Hope to return to it someday armed with your assembly tips, thank you