Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dan Gurney Tribute

Jhedir6

With the passing of Dan Gurney I wanted to do at least one tribute car. Since I'm in love with the new Tamiya AMG GT3 kit, and I've got like seven of them already I decided I'd use one as the basis for my Tribute. And it doesnt hurt that they actually kinda look like a Daytona Coupe, so it's really not too much of a stretch that a race team could do a Tribute livery like this.

For now, a couple shots. Paint is from Scale Finishes, Ford Viking Blue. Wheels and other gunmetal parts (including rear wing) are painted in Gravity Colors OZ gunmetal. Decals are from VRM and the stock AMG CF decals, tho I wont be using too many of them.

20180201_210300-vi.jpg

20180201_210310-vi.jpg

20180201_214413-vi.jpg

20180201_231528-vi.jpg

Mock up shots, still more details to add before clear.

20180202_225434-vi.jpg

20180202_225455-vi.jpg

Comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks for looking in.

Color looks good on that body. I'd suggest if there's any way to incorporate the rear paint treatment as in the attached Google image, it would really drive home the connection to the coupe. But, as curvaceous as the MB is, it's probably too difficult to define a separation line to the body top and sides. 

Mike 64-Shelby-Daytona-Coupe-Dv-12-AI-a09.jpg_cf.jpg.3eca4af90fa39d58aac6c05c2d6ee6cb.jpg

I had the honor of being involved in the "Sebring" tribute 289 race car that was built for his birthday last year and given to Dan by his family. I got a very nice note from Evi and Dan re-signed a photo I had taken of him in 1968 at the Watkins Glen USGP. He was driving for McLaren and stopped to see the "Dan Gurney for President" banner a friend and myself were holding. That resulted in Max Muhlman, the AAR PR guy inviting us to a party that night. Dan signed my print at Indy qualifying in 1969 and it has hung in all of my offices since then. He graciously resigned it for me and I was able to give him a print copy for his wall. The photo in Dan's office is with a friend of mine who was instrumental in the tribute cars production.

We will not see his like again...........

Dan G 1968.jpg

Dan G 2017.jpg

Dan G-ross.jpg

Edited by Mark IV

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...