Model Cars Magazine Forum

RIP Don Fahrni 2/3/18

Bowtienutz

I got a phone call a few hours ago informing me that one of my very closest friends of the past almost 40 years has passed away. Don Farhni He was my mentor, Big brother, drag racing buddy, fellow prankster, gave me npiration and talked me away from the edge when I got disabled and saw no hope. He was wounded badly in Vietnam  in the battle of Dau-Tieng in 1969. He never talked about his injuries or what happened. It took me years to get up the balls to ask him what happened. I watched the man take fistful of drugs at a time, crawl across the floor on his belly to get to the bathroom, drink steak shakes while waiting for new teeth. I believe that Greg will he was a fundamental part of getting Model Cars Magazine a big running start. Don left behind a sister and two brothers Keep them in your prayers

Battle for Dau-Tieng, Base, 3Bde,25 ID

22-23 Feb. 1969

http://277arty.net/dautiengbattle69_3.html

Back in the old days of Yahoo Messenger groups, Don was a stalwart on the old Straight Line Modeler group. I got to know him there. Very talented. He could create a silk purse out of less than a pig's ear. In the early MCM days or possibly its predecessor, Plastic Fanatic, Detail Master had a back cover ad every issue. Often the feature model would be something Don would build. He was one of the two best sportsman drag racing modelers I remember.

Like Mike I remember Don from the SLM Yahoo days. Actually got to meet him at Copperstate when he came down from Colorado for it one year. Always wondering what happened to him of late as he was a staple in the drag race modeling community building some of the best detailed and most scaled replicas I have ever seen. One of the first people to make the impression on me about scale fidelity and details. He was an inspiration to many and friend to many also. He will be missed greatly and hope that all him pains are gone and is modeling in the great sky above with several of my friends.

Vince, so sorry to hear about Don's passing.  He was certainly a trend setter who inspired others.  As such, he should be remembered by placing one or more of his well known models in the International Model Car Builders Museum.  If you are in a position with his family to do so, the hobby would be better for it!  

Well that sucks to hear of his passing. I haven't seen him around the Colorado scene for awhile now, wondered what happened to him. I remember the first time I saw his builds at the first GSL I went to. The detail was amazing and the engines he showed were beyond amazing.  And the boat he displayed was intense. He will be missed!

Terrible news. I had the good fortune to meet him and Dan Himmel in the late 80's when I lived in Colorado. I took a few trips to Denver for Rock concerts and made sure to visit them both. Don made a lasting impression on me with his candor and strive for excellence. He was a role model for sure, his mentoring allowed me to embrace my eye for detail. I didn't really push about his service to our country, but he was supportive of me when I joined the USAF. He will be greatly missed, and Vince he was blessed to have a friend like you.

• 5 years later...

I was lucking enough to meet Don in the 80's when he worked at Mile Hi Hobbies. Then he invited me to a group that would get together on Fridays and show what everyone was working on, some of the best times that I can remember. RIP Mr. Fahrni...