Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 February 2018 Product Spotlight

MrObsessive

On 2/5/2018 at 8:20 AM, Mike999 said:

For those who haven't seen inside these kits...be warned that the 1987 issue isn't just yellow on the box. It's molded in a bright, eye-hurting yellow plastic. 

-_-

amt65cheevwagon.JPG

The AMT '65 Buick Riviera was molded in eye-searing yellow, too:

AMT65RivYel.thumb.jpg.38d5ecc894b11ebbb846e23664a6fb75.jpg

...and the '70 Dodge Challenger R/T, too:

AMTChallYel.thumb.jpg.0dbdbddac16c9158ceb46157544557ab.jpg

Edited by Casey

11 minutes ago, Motor City said:

The wagon would be a great basis to make the rare 2-door wagon that Chevy made from '64-'65.

Several companies have done resin bodies for the '65 Chevelle 2-door wagon.  F&F did one back in the '90s, I think.  Jimmy Flintstone makes one right now.

Before any resin bodies were available, good builders were combining the '65 El Camino with the wagon roof to do it themselves. It looked like a pretty easy conversion. 

(But they all look easy before you start cutting plastic. And being a not-good builder, I chickened out and got the Flintstone 2-dr body.)

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Ertl eliminated the bezels and tooled new, slightly larger red lenses when they reissued the kit.  The new lenses are too large for the original bezels, but are a sloppy fit in the holes.  Maybe add some Evergreen strip stock around the perimeter of the lenses as trim, then foil them. 

Thanks for clearing this up, Mark!

On 2/5/2018 at 5:40 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

14573999984_82e31cf947_b.jpg

I couldn't help but take pics of this fantastic looking car when The Hershey Museum (a few miles from me) had it on display at an exhibit called "Fins! The Rise and Fall of The American Tailfin" back in '08.

P7122430-vi.jpg
P7122431-vi.jpg
P7122432-vi.jpg
P7122433-vi.jpg

I have a few more pics of it starting here.......Hard to believe this car is now over 60 years old! :o

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I wonder what ever happened to this mold

Image result for amt buick wagon

Probably got scrapped after production ended.  The trailer and display engine got recycled into the '63 Nova wagon kit.  Had the Buick wagon existed in the mid-Sixties, AMT would probably have reworked it into a Craftsman series kit, or issued it in the "flower" series...

The 2dr Chevelle wagon was only offered for '64 and '65, in the 300 series.  MCW and others have made resin kits of them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevelle

https://www.google.com/search?q=1965+chevy+chevelle+2dr+wagon&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid0qL645LZAhUOWq0KHVWPBO4Q_AUICygC&biw=1425&bih=736#imgrc=_

Edited by Rob Hall