Model Cars Magazine Forum

Improving Maisto's 1/24 C7 Corvette Z06

ismaelg

Hello,

Unfortunately,  the C7 Corvette is not well represented in the plastic scale model world.  Only the ill fitting C7R and the simple C7 Stingray snapper. The glue version is not much better than the snap. 

Maisto has picked up the slack by doing C7 Stingrays, convertibles, the Z06 and what they call a Grand Sport which is the lamest attempt I've seen: Just a Z06 with a GS paint scheme. But that's another story. Back to this one.  I picked a Z06.  At first glance it doesn't look that bad.

2v2JamFzFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2JamFMqxJ21ND.jpg

Upon close inspection, the paint can use some polishing. It has no brake rotors or calipers and the ride height/wheel position can improve. 

So I decided to do a little upgrade, without going full blast stripping and repainting. 

2v2JamGuqxJ21ND.jpg

Took it apart and started wet sanding and polishing the body. The black stripe was a casualty but it was not very good anyways.  After wet sanding the body, I carefully masked the black hood stripe. Primer was applied before shooting spray can black.

2v2Jamg8GxJ21ND.jpg

2v2JamWoFxJ21ND.jpg

Some minor overspray in the door that will easily get out when polishing.

2v2JamW2dxJ21ND.jpg

Could not get the wheels off so I ended up cutting the axles

20171127_212117.jpg.42efb69bbb93210a3a0577e5e9238813.jpg

And that's  where we are now.  I'm not going crazy in this one. Interior will remain black and probably untouched.  Will add brakes, polish it and call it done.

Thanks,

Very cool! I like to do this kind of thing myself (though I seldom go as far with disassembly as you have) and will be following. You're making me want to get one of these. 

You bring up a great point about some things being available in diecast that you can't get in a plastic kit. When someone works some modeling skills on one of these things, I don't know why they're not welcome up in the Under Glass section, but the mods always kick them down here to Diecast Ghetto, where I don't think that many people look that often. 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, Snake45 said:

Don't mention that it's a diecast, just post it there and see what happens. 

BTW, have you noticed that resin models never get kicked down here? They're apparently perfectly welcome in Under Glass. 

Agreed. And sad to say, but the further down the board, the less the topics get noticed.
Just leave this as a diecast page. Delete the resin wording.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

A year later. You shouldn't be surprised I ended up stripping and going full blast on this thing.  
Couldn't salvage the paint job so it was stripped.  That's the best excuse to address gaps.  Started adding material to the hood. 
2v2HQtvwyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HQAMjqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HQAMr8xJ21ND.jpg

2v2HQAMNjxJ21ND.jpg

And here is where we are now.
2v2HQtvfixJ21ND.jpg

Next update in Feb next year :D

Thanks,

Wow.  I'd never remembera thread I did from a year ago. Sometimes I search and find my own threads on the forum that I completely forgot.  

So this will be a classic Vette when you get done?  Lol.  It's ok.  Just keep bringing it back. 

Hello,

Under that hood's coat of primer there are a bazillion little strips and bits and pieces to tighten the gaps left after stripping the original thick paint.
Some tweaks are still needed but it is finally getting somewhere.
2v2HbbAENxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the update Ismael.

I started another thread. I want some more detail so I am going to use the Revell Kit and this diecast for the parts to do a Grand Sport. Their Grand Sport has the Z06 engine in it which ins not correct for the Grand Sports.

Hi Len,

This project is stalled simply because I can't find a source of modern drag racing wheels/tires.  I've posted in multiple forums, multiple times with no luck (Maybe I get lucky now).

I want to do this:  Simple: Just wheels/tires on a curbside.  And maybe a roll bar.  And maybe a parachute.... with wheelie bars...  and a hood scoop.......

2v2EicQ55xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

You might try to source the wheels from some of the Jada pro street offerings... And the Maisto "Police" Z06 version has brake calipers and such... Maisto has a few street mods, as well... I think you can get pretty close... And since you can get them all for around $15, it's worth a shot....