Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal Help

I’m needing a decal guru! I’m trying to apply a very thin and delicate (but long and having many zigzags) decal. I’m trying to figure out the best method for installing it successfully. I attempted to cut it into more manageable, smaller pieces and then tried to seamlessly splice them back together on the car (as I’ve done that before with great results) but that didn’t work very well so I’m going to have to put them on in their entirety. I ended up having to source another sheet to make a second attempt. A friend of mine suggested that I put the car under water, along with the decal and do the initial placement of the decal with the car submerged. Any thoughts on that? 
Also, when using decal setting solution, can it be used after the decal is completely dry? Or does it have to be applied when everything is still wet?

There are two types of decal solution - well, maybe more - but anyhow...

One type goes on before and helps you move the decal around and set. 

The other is a “hotter” recipe (I guess that what you’d call it) that softens the decal so much, trying to move it will damage the decal. 

Microscale makes Micro Set, apply first, and Micro Sol - the “hot” stuff. There are other brand with similar effects. 

You can apply Micro Sol to a dry decal if it isn’t conformed completely to the desired shape. Sometimes, depending on the brand of decal, Sol will cause the decal to wrinkle up and look horrible and you will think all is lost - don’t despair. When it dries it straightens out. 

Not all decals respond to setting solutions. I have terrible luck with new Revell decals. Some, like Motorsports carbon, melt right to the surface. 

Edited by Erik Smith

13 minutes ago, Greg Pugh said:

Ooohhh!! There’s one of my problems! I must have the Micro Sol as it turned my decal into mush when I was trying to move it. Good to know!

“Set” is blue label

”Sol” is red label

and I’ve done the same thing.

Edited by Erik Smith