Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford vs. Ferrari Film

3 minutes ago, sfhess said:

That white 63 Mercury Breezeway got a lot of screen time.  Like the Bug in the Bullitt chase.

And that 63 Country Squire handles like none did back in the day.  Maybe Miles put in Konis and some anti roll bars

Did you notice the wagon passed the same red 65 Chrysler twice.  

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I'm sure one of the fujimi versions did have an engine. I traded the one i had away as it wasn't something i was into but there was definately an engine in the box but since it was part of a job lot it doesn't mean it was from the kit. the box had it in black or dark blue in the pits as the pic. I still have the wheels and tyres somewhere

Fujimi did both Mk I and Mk II kits but none with engine as far as I know as all I have seen are curbside.
IMC did F40's with engines and they were later issued under Testors name.

2 minutes ago, Force said:

Fujimi did both Mk I and Mk II kits but none with engine as far as I know as all I have seen are curbside.
IMC did F40's with engines and they were later issued under Testors name.

it was most likelly just in the box then, i didn't pay too much attention to it cos it was always going to be traded. It was the rest of the lot i was after

11 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I'm sure one of the fujimi versions did have an engine. I traded the one i had away as it wasn't something i was into but there was definately an engine in the box but since it was part of a job lot it doesn't mean it was from the kit. the box had it in black or dark blue in the pits as the pic. I still have the wheels and tyres somewhere

They have enough parts so it does not look engineless but it's a far cry from a complete motor.  HRM makes a small block for the Mark I versions.

Excellent film. Saw it last night. Even my wife loved it. I knew they would make errors and omit things due to time constraints and in the name of entertainment, but it was an excellent opportunity to educate my daughter (who is a car nut ) and my wife on the impact of these individuals and the cars they built and how it ties into the cars like Mustangs and GT's that we have on the road today. interesting fact, Dan Gurney is played by his son, Alex Gurney. Nice touch I thought. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Austin said:

I finally got to see it last night.  I thought the story moved along fast enough not to notice silly stuff others have said they've seen, other than the shelves of modern-manufacture diecast models in the boardroom scene.

Good eye on the models.  I did not catch that.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Good eye on the models.  I did not catch that.

At least they weren't in the kid's bedroom.  Did any of you spot what toys he had?

I can see the models in the boardroom as stand-ins for hand-made one-off display pieces portraying the Ford Motor Company's history.

I watched the movie yesterday. I don't know enough to nit pick any inaccuracies but I did find the old cars in the background fun to identify. There should have been more older cars, as many were still daily transportation in the mid-60's. However, overall I felt I got more than my money's worth in entertainment. The race scenes were well filmed however the passing sequences were a bit optimistic as far as closing rate. I HIGHLY recommend it.

• 6 months later...

I know I'm late to this party, but I just started watching it last night. I'm about an hour in. (Will finish it tonight, I hope.)

I'm not hating Myatt Dyaymon quite as much as I expected to, but I think the guy playing Iacocca would have made a better Carroll Shelby. :blink:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I know I'm late to this party, but I just started watching it last night. I'm about an hour in. (Will finish it tonight, I hope.)

I'm not hating Myatt Dyaymon quite as much as I expected to, but I think the guy playing Iacocca would have made a better Carroll Shelby. :blink:

Jon Bernthal played Iacocca.

One of my fave actors was the unctuous Ford exec, Leo Beebe: Josh Lucas. He played a very scary psychotic criminal in another reality-based movie, "Wonderland."  It's about the 1981 Wonderland Ave. murders in Los Angeles.  Automotive Connection:  the LAPD called them "the Four-On-The-Floor Murders,"  because 4 dead people were left on the floor.  Val Kilmer plays John Holmes.  Yes, THAT John Holmes.

HBO premiered "Ford v Ferrari" last week and the 2019 "Midway" last night.  So it's been a rare good week on HBO, among the usual rom-coms and Teens Save The World dreck.  

Edited by Mike999
goof

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

HBO premiered "Ford v Ferrari" last week and the 2019 "Midway" last night.  So it's been a rare good week on HBO, among the usual rom-coms and Teens Save The World dreck.  

Premiered it? On my cable screen, it said "Ends 7/4" yesterday so I considered myself lucky to have recorded it in time. Thanks for the heads-up on Midway. Been wanting to see that one too. 

I also recorded Ad Astra yesterday, which I've also been wanting to see. 

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Premiered it? On my cable screen, it said "Ends 7/4" yesterday so I considered myself lucky to have recorded it in time.

I goofed, "Ford v Ferrari" premiered on U-Verse 2 weeks ago.  Last week the big Sat. night premiere movie was "Doctor Sleep."  I checked HBO On Demand, "FvF" is available on there until 9/13/20.  It's also playing about 40 times on the various HBO channels, in the next few weeks.

That "ending date" trips me up sometimes too. Not long ago I was watching a long cable series on a Thursday and got sleepy, figured I would catch the last 2 episodes the next day. Well no, it ended on the night I was watching.  But it will come back around... 

At one point in the film HFII is looking out a window with Shelby and tells him, "During World War II, two [or was it three] out of every five American bombers came out of that building," or something to that effect. He's apparently talking about Ford's famous Willow Run plant, one of the largest (if not THE largest) aircraft factories at that time. 

HFII's numbers are way off, though. Ford built roughly 25% of the 18,000+ B-24s, but the B-24 was just one of three US heavy bombers, along with the B-17 and B-29. Many thousands of those were built, too, none of them by Ford. And that doesn't even count the medium bombers, the B-25 Mitchell and B-26 Marauder, which were also built in large numbers. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

At one point in the film HFII is looking out a window with Shelby and tells him, "During World War II, two [or was it three] out of every five American bombers came out of that building," or something to that effect...

I noticed that too.  And boy, does that scene skip over a LOT of history.  The Willow Run plant had so many problems that it became known as "Willit Run?" The first couple of hundred B-24's off its assembly line were so poorly built they were rejected by the military for use overseas, and restricted to training or other "hack" chores within the USA.

A.J. Baime wrote a great book about that,  "The Arsenal of Democracy: FDR, Detroit, and an Epic Quest to Arm an America at War."   That's the same A.J. Baime who wrote "Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans." 

https://www.amazon.com/Arsenal-Democracy-Detroit-Quest-America/dp/0547719280

Really enjoyed this film. I thought all parties did a tremendous job with it.

(SPOILERS)

I got the usual shoulder punch from my wife when theres a sad ending if I haven't warned her. I'd no idea what happened to Ken Miles, so I couldn't have anyway. 

I finally watched it.  Actually ended up paying the $20 to OWN a digital copy with the featurettes.   The guys dealing with the cars were a little apologetic about some of the car errors that they caught.   But they were alos like "deal with it" - we know it's not perfect and there will be those that find mistakes.  

I swear the Ferrari that crashed big had no engine or anything else behind the driver compartment.  No big deal.  I was hoping the fight scene with Shelby and Miles was a real thing - that would be a fun thing in racing history.    It was a good movie.  Left me wanting more movies or documentaries on racing from that era.