Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Impala AWB?

06daytona

Just had a crazy idea while browsing some early drag car photos - I've never seen an altered wheelbase '64 Impala. I'm sure there was a good reason for this, however, I have a '64 kit gathering dust, and I thought, why not?? The '64 has never been a favorite of mine (real or kit), so it's not like I'd be very annoyed if I screwed it up. Something about the lines that never grabbed me. 

Anyway, just did a real quick adjust of a pic to see if the concept would fly (ignoring, for the moment, the amount of work involved...), and it looks like it just might work. Doesn't look any worse (to me) than the Landy or Mr. Norm Dodges of the day.

This is not to say that I will ever get around to actually doing this, but figured I'd put it out there.5a7a42844ce11_64-chevrolet-funnycar.jpg.b644803613ea02af473c417ed1727788.jpg

Any thoughts/comments welcome. Thanks.

And the X-Frame might make things a bit more complicated on the rear suspension. Just guessing. But no matter what I'm interested in seeing your build, because this is something that definitely could have been done back then.

I thought I read an article from years ago where four guys drove one out to California helped the the shop alter it and drove back to where they were from.   If memory serves me right.   They left their luggage behind because there was too much weight in the back end they would lift the front wheels

I like it! Yeah it was a big car, the 66 Impala Jolly Green Giant was too. I know of an awb 64 Galaxie too. ANYTHING goes , or went (!) in those days.

Boss302 mustang is correct, it was about weight transfer. Altering the WB back and front has the same effect as setting back the engine.

I'd put a small block in it.

By 66 there were 4 funny car classes, S/XS for blown, A&B &C for unblown , weight by CI.

What the heck, go for it!

Thanks for the replies, glad to see it doesn't seem to be too far out there. Lot of work involved, I hadn't thought about the x-frame, as mentioned earlier. But, of course, everything can be fixed (with a small hammer, if necessary...:D).

Looking at the kit again, got the thinking cap on..........

Definitely looks doable, and as been mentioned someone, somewhere in a backyard garage probably did one.  As for the X-frame you could bolster the stock frame by running "2X3 inch steel tubing"  from the front to back just inside the body panels.  You will also need to shorten the frame, my suggestion would be cutting the center of the X evenly front to rear to assist in realigning the frame members.  Now dig out your X-Acto saw and start cutting.

Yes, the "2x3 tubing" would definitely work here. Not sure I see what you mean by cutting the center of the X, because then the members will be offset when I try to put them back together. I do agree that something would have to be done to the frame, but having a bit of an issue picturing just what.

Thanks for the input.

What I am suggesting is to find the center and cut an equal amount from front of center and rear of center, the X should then line up.  Even if you have to remove the complete middle section you can you should still be able to shave from the front chassis section and back section to get the frame pieces to align.  Here is a rough drawing of what I am suggesting.

64 Frame 001.JPG

Now that I looked at your concept picture I am wondering how my suggestion will work with the front suspension being moved forward.  Of course you could always clean off the IFS and replace it with a tube axle.  Hope this helps.

Edited by TarheelRick

Ah, I see now. For some reason I was thinking you meant cutting it from front to rear, couldn't see how that would work.

Yes, this might work, but there is a lot of molded-in stuff on the chassis pan to be removed first. Then, space has to be made for the 2x3s.  Agreed about the IFS, it likely will have to be removed. Of course, a tube axle will only make it look better, right?