Model Cars Magazine Forum

started with an tamiya RC30 kit, heavily used my parts box and scratch built all the rest.

engine was cut into pieces to make slimmer (V4 --> V2) and cylinder angle was reduced from 90 to (almost) 52 degrees. also cylinders were made t
aller.
frame was modified for engine mounting points.
rims where cut apart to add different spokes.
tank was sectioned to become slimmer.
rear cowling was cut apart to make new rear and seat, which was then covered with a piece of leather.
front fender is a modified GPZ rear fender.
exhaust headers made from RC30, muffler and rear shock are scratch built.
many other bits are also scratch built like handlebars, mirrors, clocks (7 different pieces), and so on, and so on.

custom printed decals.

only parts used as shown in the assembly guide: swingarm-axle and spark plug connectors.
rear wheel nut was also not modified, but was used in the scratch built rear shock absorber.

3 1/2 months of work with roughly estimated 300+ hours overall.

20180207_163948.jpg.9ba6a3571323579b886f35236e24ed76.jpg

20180207_164039.jpg.793e63b32ec7f9559d9aa026909a1499.jpg

Very nice! A good friend of mine had one like this; we swapped bikes on a ride one time (I had Nighthawk S) and I found the Hawk to be an extremely fun, agile bike. He loved the Nighthawk too, a good bit more power than he was used to. Fun times from 20 years ago...

On 9.2.2018 at 12:58 AM, Jim B said:

That looks awesome!  Very well done.

On 8.2.2018 at 1:34 PM, Zoom Zoom said:

Very nice! A good friend of mine had one like this; we swapped bikes on a ride one time (I had Nighthawk S) and I found the Hawk to be an extremely fun, agile bike. He loved the Nighthawk too, a good bit more power than he was used to. Fun times from 20 years ago...

Thank you guys!

• 10 months later...
16 hours ago, r60man said:

The real test of scratch built is when it looks like it was a kit. If you hadn't told me the work you did I would have thought it was a kit. Outstanding job.

Very true, but i can spot the mistakes i made. I couldn't find a kit, so i had to go the tough way.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:53 AM, da Speedinger said:

Very true, but i can spot the mistakes i made. I couldn't find a kit, so i had to go the tough way.

You are always your worst critic. When I used to compete I could list many many errors in each build, but the judges would see differently. You did a great job.