Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Car in Space: a Tesla Roadster

3 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Inside. I'm amazed the boosters back come to the cape for a landing, and upright. Just like in the sci-fi rockets in the 1950's! 

Yup. Pretty significant accomplishment.

Elon Musk's engineers seem to be worth what they're getting paid. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 minutes ago, slusher said:

Why did we put a car in space?

It wasn't "we", as in the government or NASA.

It was Elon Musk's company SpaceX, using one of his own cars as a publicity stunt, but also as the dummy weight for the test of the largest rocket booster on Earth at the present time.

Musk is serious about taking humanity on towards its next great adventure...the colonization of Mars...and this is one of the first major steps.

29 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Inside. I'm amazed the boosters back come to the cape for a landing, and upright. Just like in the sci-fi rockets in the 1950's! 

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking watching them landing. Looked like an old science fiction movie!

By the way, the car was exposed to space once it got there. I think it's pretty cool that a private company can put a car and dummy in space. And land major peices of it's rocket back near were they started from. This to me miraculous. The future is getting closer. I turned 60 years old yesterday, when this was all happening. Maybe I'll get to see humans on Mars before I die. Thank you Elon Musk. 

1 minute ago, dieseldawg142 said:

...I thought spacex already had contracts signed and lined up with private and gov business's...

Yes, but this was a test of a new heavy-lift booster lashup, kinda like the old Saturn 5.

The test of the booster retrieval system where the things land under power and can be reused is new too...though they did it with one earlier.

One of the things that made the NASA space program so expensive was the use-once-and-throw-away concept of the old booster engines.

Musk is really trying to contain cost by eliminating as much waste as possible.

It was pretty amazing to see... much more so the boosters landing than the car in space, IMHO. Falcon Heavy is a big declaration of intent: the trend in satellites and commercial space is small-sats and clustering, so no one really needs the throw weight of this bird, never mind the next gen "BFR". This can only be about the Moon and then Mars, with people...

That said, that plucky little Curiosity rover is still doing a great job, and flying the flag for robots in space...

best,

M.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Counterpoint:

lrv.jpg.4b925790bc599ff73c1dcf3601945977.jpg

True, the Tesla isn't the first car in space. However, it is a the first real street legal car in space. Pretty cool publicitiy stunt. More importantly, as a 4000lb object, it successfully did the job of testing cargo capacity of the Falcon Heavy rockets. SpaceX have proved they can send serious payloads in to space, and more importantly, safely land most of the equipment used to do it, so that it can be reused in future flights. Talk about a cost savings! 

How much of the equipment that got the lunar rover to the moon was reused? ;)

7 hours ago, Tony N said:

It looks like the 60 Corvette from the animated movie Heavy Metal. When the corvette come in from outer space and lands with astronaut at the wheel.

Wondered if anyone else was old enough to remember the Vette in space from the film. That was my first thought!!

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

True, the Tesla isn't the first car in space. However, it is a the first real street legal car in space.

Who is concerned with street legality IN SPACE? :blink: :rolleyes: The lunar rover was operated, driven, and had a practical, intended use-- it wasn't just a publicity stunt.

Lunar Landing Hoaxers in 3....2....1....:lol:

52 minutes ago, Casey said:

Who is concerned with street legality IN SPACE? :blink: :rolleyes: The lunar rover was operated, driven, and had a practical, intended use-- it wasn't just a publicity stunt.

Lunar Landing Hoaxers in 3....2....1....:lol:

JI know, I know...where they're going they don't need roads...

Doc_Brown.png.39fc99eecc6f82deb3e52ad7f78423ee.png

Technically, the Tesla totally serves a purpose! Normally, when testing rockets, generic weights are used to test ballast and load ability and whatnot. In this case, why not do something more fun? They needed weight, that Roadster fits the bill, and does it in a fun way that brings attention to the project. Look at how this story is everywhere! Mission accomplished!

There was a movie in the 70s about the lunar landing hoax. Can't remember what it was called, but I liked it. Conspiracy theories fascinate me.

:)

9 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

There was a movie in the 70s about the lunar landing hoax. Can't remember what it was called, but I liked it. Conspiracy theories fascinate me.

:)

I think that was Capricorn One. Starring some guy named Orenthal Simpson. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Bainford said:

I'll be really impressed if he goes back up to retrieve his 2 tons of space junk and bring it back.

I believe it was sent on a trajectory that would take it past Mars. I think there is/was a live feed from the car as well.