Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grab those bargains off those racks... (HL sale)

...Who needs Bergdorf, who needs Saks? (Allan Sherman, 1962 :D)

Just got back from the Deerfield HL and noted these specials; your store may vary:

$7.50 each:

AMT '50 Ford convertible (bought both of them!)

AMT '58 Impala

AMT '64 Impala

AMT '52 Chevy convertible

AMT Der Beetle Bus

AMT '15 Camaro

AMT/Lindberg '67 Olds 442

MPC '75 Vette

Revell '57 Ford Wagon Gasser

$6.75 each:

Revell '80 Ramcharger

$6.00 each:

AMT '10 Challenger

Happy hunting!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

26 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Stopped at the one in Spartanburg SC today, no bargains on the shelf but the aisle was crowded with lookers. I will check some others in the area this week.

It's going to vary greatly per store.... HL manager makes the call.

Just now, Dave Van said:

It's going to vary greatly per store.... HL manager makes the call.

Could be too that they already did a purge and the bargains are gone. There was a big show and swap meet in that area 2 weeks ago. I will continue to check, although I am hard pressed to say that I need/want much as of now.

16 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Stopped at the one in Spartanburg SC today, no bargains on the shelf but the aisle was crowded with lookers. I will check some others in the area this week.

Hi neighbor!  The closest HL to me is in Anderson, SC.  I might run over there tomorrow and check for deals.  Today it's pouring rain and cold, so I don't much want to go out. There's also a Hobby Lobby in Easley, on HWY 123 not far from the Hobby Connection...the only "real" hobby shop I know of around here, if you ever get up this way. 

HL is planning to open a new store very close to me in the next few months.  It took over a K-Mart that closed and they're already working on the re-build.  Can't wait!

I was just over in the US last night and hit up HL...before seeing this thread.

Picked up the following on clearance: 1- 2016 Revell  Corvette C7- $6.75

2- 2016 AMT Camaro (snapper)-$6.75

3- 2013 Revell Mustang Boss 302-$6.90

Unfortunately the last ones of each or I would have picked up more. No other kits kicking around at that price tho.

Edited by Jhedir6

17 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Hi neighbor!  The closest HL to me is in Anderson, SC.  I might run over there tomorrow and check for deals.  Today it's pouring rain and cold, so I don't much want to go out. There's also a Hobby Lobby in Easley, on HWY 123 not far from the Hobby Connection...the only "real" hobby shop I know of around here, if you ever get up this way. 

HL is planning to open a new store very close to me in the next few months.  It took over a K-Mart that closed and they're already working on the re-build.  Can't wait!

I wish HL would branch into Canada. I know people will say that'll kill the brick and mortar hobby stores, but to be honest, there arent many left already outside of Toronto. 

Just stopped at HL and scored big savings, $231 worth of kits for just over $60. They did have the AMT Aero chief fire truck for $12.50 and the MPC 1/8 scale Honda road race bike for $9.50.

Cashier mentioned that they are getting a new stock of kits in soon.

Edited by Zen
more info

I was at the one in Melbourne, Fl. Found a '50 Ford Convertible and '69 Barracuda for $7.50 and an '80 Ramcharger for $6.75.  There were AMT '58 Impala, for 7.50, '51 Chevy convertible (7.50) and Revell C7 Corvette (6.75) kits there also, but passed on them, already had the'58, didn't want the others.....

The rain slacked off so I made the run to HL in Anderson, SC.  Not much left at Clearance prices. I did grab an AMT '51 Chevy convertible and MPC '75 Vette for $7.50 each. "Worth that for the parts," as I (too) often tell myself...

It would have been a cheap trip...but then I saw that one Greenlight 1/24 Winnebago trailer was left in the die-casts. Been looking for one of those.  And I couldn't resist the Greenlight 1947 Ken-Skill Teardrop Trailer, with kayak, bicycle and camping gear. Used the 40% off coupon for one of those.  They were NOT discounted and priced at $29.99 each.  You can find them a little cheaper around the internet.  But sometimes it's good if I just buy the thing when it's right in front of me.  I tend to say "I'll get things later." Then they disappear at reasonable prices and end up with the Rare! Vintage!! Kollectibull!!! Anteek & Junque dealers on eBay, marked up to 4 times their original price.

They must be changing the way they clear out discontinued items.  Around here, the kits being cleared went to 40% off with no coupon (couldn't use the coupon to get an additional discount), and anything that didn't sell then went down to the $10 range after a few weeks.  I've never seen anything drop into the $6-7 range, ever.  Doing it this way will get them out sooner, will clear space for the incoming items faster, and they won't be paying people to move unsold stuff around the store.  The '57 Ford wagons were gone here, but I did pick up a '50 Ford, '58 Impala, and '64 Impala.  I passed on the '69 Barracuda, '75 Corvette, and a few others.