Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grab those bargains off those racks... (HL sale)

1 hour ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

Anyone see the Revell '78 RX7 and Miata on clearance last there? I wanna stock up on those case they go OOP quick like the last issues of the Datsuns.

Those are on clearance at Meijer for $16.xx or so. 

I went to my local HL and I wouldn't say most. There were about ten automotive kits on clearance. Definitely not a bad deal though. I picked up the Dodge Ramcharger for 6.75. The best deal is probably the AMT Aero Chief at 12.50! I would have picked it up but I already have one. I was hoping to get another MPC GMC Deserter but that one wasn't on clearance. No matter, I'm very happy with the deal I got on the Dodge.

Edited by av405

10 hours ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

Anyone see the Revell '78 RX7 and Miata on clearance last there? I wanna stock up on those case they go OOP quick like the last issues of the Datsuns.

The Hobby Lobby I went to had the RX7, but it was not on Clearance. Regular HL price of $20-something. Almost all kits at this HL are $29.99, but some are a few dollars cheaper.

As somebody else said, looks like HL is getting ready for a big scale-model reset.  Many scale-model shelf slots in this store were empty, and quite a few slots only had 1 kit left but not discounted:  AMT '53 Ford pick-up (drat!) and '23 Model T "Coke" delivery truck, MPC Deserter pick-up, Revell '66 Suburban (though that's still a new kit), etc. 

At this store, you have to check all over for Clearanced kits, sort of like an Easter egg hunt. This time, all the discounted kits were in the scale-model aisle.  Sometimes they're in the Clearance aisle at the far end of the store, with other discounted stuff. Other times they're stacked on an island, in the middle of a center aisle.   A few months ago I walked past one of the islands and saw a couple of discounted aircraft kits.  Looked closer, and found the '70 Impala "Heavy Chevy" hiding in there at a Clearance price.  Yes, it was worth buying just for the parts...even if I am running out of space in the basement...

I found some of the sale items, but nothing really grabbed me, but, the Aero Chief fire truck was only $12.50, so I grabbed one! Most of the clearance was in the non car side. Hence I picked up a Space Shuttle for $3.50 and a Revell Virgen SpaceshipTwo and White Knight for $7.50

Going back Saturday to see what else might be Yellow Tagged. 

Nothing on sale in Exton, PA!   This store has only been there a year or so, and I think it's been too successful, so no clearance kits!

I got a chuckle on Saturday.  Three guys in our age range looking at models and supplies.  All trying not to make eye contact like they were in the naughty movie store!  

Picked up a 2013 Boss 302 and a 2010 Challenger R/T Classic today at a store that opened last October or so. Also had the 57 Ford  gasser, 2006 Camaro, 50 Ford convertible, and some Corvette for $6-6.75. Some were sloppily placed on the clearance rack, but most were on the regular shelf.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:20 PM, Mark said:

They must be changing the way they clear out discontinued items.  Around here, the kits being cleared went to 40% off with no coupon (couldn't use the coupon to get an additional discount), and anything that didn't sell then went down to the $10 range after a few weeks.  I've never seen anything drop into the $6-7 range, ever.  Doing it this way will get them out sooner, will clear space for the incoming items faster, and they won't be paying people to move unsold stuff around the store.  The '57 Ford wagons were gone here, but I did pick up a '50 Ford, '58 Impala, and '64 Impala.  I passed on the '69 Barracuda, '75 Corvette, and a few others.

I asked the store manager here today about it, and she replied they were going to a straight 75% off, rather than starting at 40% off to make it easier to clear them out rather than having to keep marking them down. I got the 49.99 AMT Ladder Truck for 12.49, and a '57 Ford Gasser Wagon, and '51 Chevy convertible for $7.50 each.

5 hours ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

I asked the store manager here today about it, and she replied they were going to a straight 75% off, rather than starting at 40% off to make it easier to clear them out rather than having to keep marking them down. I got the 49.99 AMT Ladder Truck for 12.49, and a '57 Ford Gasser Wagon, and '51 Chevy convertible for $7.50 each.

Hmm, that tells me they must be selling them at or below cost, which explains why they can afford to let customers use a 40% off coupon. It also explains why most new kits are priced at $29.99.

The 2016 Corvette and Camaro Snap kits were the only ones left at the Matthews NC HL today. I did walk down to the clearance section and saw 2 of the Testors Aztec air compressors on clearance for half price, $75. 

I looked at a couple of kits but decided against it, headed to a swap meet next week and will drop some cabbage there instead.

I grabbed a couple of the MPC Corvette Roadster kits - they come with 6 great tires, BBC 454, open steel rally wheels with no center cap, and 8 metal hilborn injector tubes. So, for $7.50, lots of spare parts. 

Also got the 1/8 MPC Honda race motorcycle...I’ve never built a motorcycle model, but it looks pretty neat. 

On 2/8/2018 at 8:20 PM, slusher said:

I have not been yet and when every other stores have clearance mine doesn't...

Mine neither. No clearance island for kits, saw the yellow $7.50 tag on a couple tanks but no cars or airplanes. But I noticed the '57 Ford wagon gassers were gone, as were the MPC '75 Vettes, so maybe they cleared out before I got there. Bought another Black Widow '57 Chev with the coupon just so it wouldn't be a wasted trip. 

I finally made it to the Glendale AZ store at 75th Ave and Bell this morning.

Other than a very few empty shelf slots there was nothing. I didn't see most of the kits (couldn't remember all of them) mentioned here at all, so I probably missed the sale. I walked the whole store while my wife was shopping just to make sure. :(

bummer as some of those kits I was even willing to pay their retail (with the coupon) but I waited to long. Always had one I wanted more.

Russ

11 hours ago, russosborne said:

I finally made it to the Glendale AZ store at 75th Ave and Bell this morning.

Other than a very few empty shelf slots there was nothing. I didn't see most of the kits (couldn't remember all of them) mentioned here at all, so I probably missed the sale. I walked the whole store while my wife was shopping just to make sure. :(

bummer as some of those kits I was even willing to pay their retail (with the coupon) but I waited to long. Always had one I wanted more.

Russ

What are you looking for that you didn't find?