Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slant 6 cross ram

Hmmmmm.....somebody's engineering-logic-free attempt at what, exactly?

Looks cool (maybe...if you really don't know anything about engines) but those manifold pipes with multiple up-and-over sharp turns play hell with keeping atomized fuel in suspension, make tuning more difficult, and introduce an additional level of unnecessary complexity if the valve cover needs to be removed.

It would have been far wiser, if somebody just HAD to have really long manifold runners, to relocate the battery (if necessary) and put both carbs on THIS side.

There's a logical REASON for a cross-ram on a V8: it provides for longer relatively STRAIGHT runners that otherwise wouldn't fit.

This setup, on the other hand, is just me-too dorky.

In addition to the points made by Ace I think this may be a case of what used to be called "Over Carburation". IE. there is more fuel going to the engine than the engine can burn efficiently. This "Shade Tree Engineering" I think may be based on the engine option offered by Plymouth on their Valiant that was used in NASCAR's Compact Racing Series in the early sixties. The Chrysler Engineers designed a single four barrel Carburetor long Ram type Manifold. This placed a Carter AFB series Carburetor almost to the driver side inner fender. This was for their 225 cu in engine which was also offered at one time with an Aluminum Engine Block. I think I remember seeing this very car offered by a Dealer on E Bay some time ago. The Wagon was a pretty clean looking rig as I recall.          

45 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

The original Hyper-Pak from MOPAR

Beater-04.jpg

40 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

and MOPAR stuffed it in there

_ValiantUnder_Hood_Engine_View-vi.jpg

That's the engine I was thinking of. For a Compact Economy Car in the early '60's these things would fly.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:20 PM, espo said:

I would like to find a model of the early Lancer GT or the Valiant as long as it's a two door.

The Lancer is a 4 door HT. Revell also produced '62 Valiant 4 door sedan. Both of these kits were issued in 2 versions, Metal-flake ( metal flakes in a milky clear plastic; the idea was to paint it on the underside) and a solid color plastic. My Lancer is molded in tan & the Valiant in what I will call sea-foam green. (I don't know if they were molded in different colors like the early JoHan kits.)

SMP issued 2 door Valiants in '61 & '62 (and a '60 4 door). AMT produced '63-'65 Valiant 2 doors. All were issued as annuals. The SMP's were curb sides. AMT had 2 versions, one being a Jr Trophy series and likely came without engines. I don't remember if the "Senior" versions had engines. Some were issued as Styline kits.

On 16/02/2018 at 3:15 PM, aurfalien said:

Hi,

I just checked Model Roundup who had it last.  I no longer see it but contact them.  You could get lucky.

IIRC, Ross Gibson passed away a few years ago.

Like they say, if you see a resin product you want, get it then because you never know when it will disappear.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, #1 model citizen said:

The Lancer is a 4 door HT. Revell also produced '62 Valiant 4 door sedan. Both of these kits were issued in 2 versions, Metal-flake ( metal flakes in a milky clear plastic; the idea was to paint it on the underside) and a solid color plastic. My Lancer is molded in tan & the Valiant in what I will call sea-foam green. (I don't know if they were molded in different colors like the early JoHan kits.)

SMP issued 2 door Valiants in '61 & '62 (and a '60 4 door). AMT produced '63-'65 Valiant 2 doors. All were issued as annuals. The SMP's were curb sides. AMT had 2 versions, one being a Jr Trophy series and likely came without engines. I don't remember if the "Senior" versions had engines. Some were issued as Styline kits.

Thank you for the information. I had one of the AMT issued 4door Valiants that I built when new. The problem was when I went to strip the paint a few years ago the Plastic that AMT used at that time didn't react well with the Purple Pond and it turned to mush. I had no idea of all the alternative models out there, so I guess I'll have to keep looking. You mentioned the JoHan clear/metal flake issue and I had one of the Chryslers that I painted red on the inside. Less than desirable results there. Thanks again for the info.   

On 2/20/2018 at 8:31 AM, espo said:

Thank you for the information. I had one of the AMT issued 4door Valiants that I built when new. The problem was when I went to strip the paint a few years ago the Plastic that AMT used at that time didn't react well with the Purple Pond and it turned to mush. I had no idea of all the alternative models out there, so I guess I'll have to keep looking. You mentioned the JoHan clear/metal flake issue and I had one of the Chryslers that I painted red on the inside. Less than desirable results there. Thanks again for the info.   

You're welcome. Just to clear 1 point up; the clear metal flake bodies were produced by Revell. They were made with the same tool as the solid color plastic kits.

Could it be the model you tried stripping was a promo made from a different type of plastic?:unsure: While my experience with stripping early AMT models is limited, I've never had any issues.(mostly small parts) I have stripped a '56 issue Revell model recently and let it sit for days with no problems.