Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would like to share my version of the Moebius 71 Ford.  I like to build models of vehicles as I remember them back in the day.  This build will represent images from my memory of a 1971 Ford 4x4 Custom that is roughly 10 yrs old (used but well taken care of).  My grandfather had this pickup and I remember it being almost pristine in condition but as I said earlier also signs of being used as a truck.  For this build I combined AMT's 78 Ford 4x4 with the Moebius kit.  The 4wd components fit very well to the Moebius frame with very little work.  I did not fill in the slots in the frame for the Moebius suspension pieces as I don't think they will be seen once the kit is complete.  I had to extend the axles a little to get the wheels to look right without being too narrow.  One noticeable inaccuracy is that the transfer case is mounted a little forward from the real thing but I am ok with that.  I wanted a manual transmission and when I started this, I didn't have one for a truck, so I found something from my parts boxes that closely resembles the heavy duty 4 speed used on these trucks.  The drive lines are spare parts with the ends cut off and I used straws I grab from the local fast food places I visit.  I heated up the exhaust and bent it so it comes out behind the rear leaf spring.  I extended the exhaust with a small coffee straw so it looks right. I do not use any aftermarket items except spark plug wires and other wire from old phone cords or electrical stuff.  I apologize for the quality of the pictures...I am limited to my phone for pictures (apple I4). I will explain my work as I go in case anyone is interested.  Hope you enjoy, comments welcome.

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

Quick test fit to check for height and alignment.

IMG_1081.1.JPG

Weathered the chassis and frame using textured rattle can paint and 2 other colors of brown spray paint.

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

For the engine I puttied the radiator hose inlet because 390's have the housing coming off the front of the intake.  I used a piece of spru that had a 90 degree elbow and drilled out the opening.  I then used a piece of my trusty for sale sign for the flange.  I painted and weathered the engine before I realized the hose location was wrong.

IMG_1092.JPG

For the fan belt assembly, I went to my parts bins again as I didnt like how low the alternator was on the Moebius kit.  Pictures I studied in research always showed the alternator up towards the valve cover. The white with blue paint is the Moebius part.

IMG_1102.JPG

Added some detail to engine and test fit on the chassis.  I added throttle linkage and spring, fuel line, air breather to air cleaner now runs across the front, added pcv valve to back valve cover.  I turned the coil around to face the front as almost every ford I ever worked on, someone flipped it around to ease access to the wiring. I used the kits oil filler cap for the vacuum advance unit on the distributor and ran a hose to the carb. I fabricated a dipstick and put it to the rear of the oil filter. Alternator bracket is made from my trusty for sale sign. Heat riser from manifold was too small I felt so I fattened it up a bit.

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

One thing that bothered me from the start was the lack of a dash pad on these kits.  Every picture out there of this generation of Ford pickups shows a dash pad that comes out over the bezel.  I went to my trusty thicker for sale sign and heated up the tips (carefully as it wants to curl)  formed it to the dash and  glued it then followed up with some putty. I painted the dash (no decals).

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

Extra detail painting on the exhaust pipe extension as this is the part seen in normal view.

IMG_1133.JPG

The interior is pretty straight forward.  This will be a basic "custom cab" Ford so I picked up another Moebius kit (70 Ford) for the base model door panels, tailgate, and seat.  I fabricated the two shifters from scratch.  The pedals are original to the kit but they were a little "thick" for my taste.  I simply trimmed them down and glued them to the under dash piece supplied.  The gas pedal was also thinned down and trimmed to lay it down on the floor of the tub so it looks correct.  The kit steering column was straight but where the steering wheel attaches, it was seriously not right as shown in the picture. I trimmed it to get it straight and removed the automatic shift lever.

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

Another test fit and body now is painted.  I sanded off the bottom trim as this is a base Ford "custom" . I started on the BMF on the side trim.  The rear reflector light was trimmed down, then painted, topped off with some clear glue. I will have to create my own "Custom" decals for the rear. The hub caps used are accurate for 2wd Fords for sure and I only found one picture of a 4x4 with these hubcaps so I dont know how accurate they are, I like how they look anyway and fabricated some lockout hubs for the front.

IMG_1153.JPG

Inside the bed was given that "I use this truck" look with some good old fashion layer painting and removing.  I splattered some paint up front for that time when some paint slid forward when you hit the brakes a little hard!  The tops of the bed rails got some scratches as well as the tailgate. The radiator got some weathered treatment with a little gold and dirt. Rear bumper is a plain grey with some mild wear.  I painted the tailights as I wanted them to be recessed into the housings instead of flush.  The tailgate decal ripped a little on me (I was being pretty vigerous with it).  I will take it off and probably paint the panel.  I started on the engine compartment with giving the washer bottle a yellow wash and ran the hoses up to the cowl.  I still have some touching up to do where the hoses enter the cowl.  Made a starter soleniod from spru.   Another test fit to make sure everything fits!   Sorry for the LONG post and so many pics!  Will post more as I progress!  Thanks for looking!

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

Edited by bill lanfear

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your comments.  Small update...I BMF'd the cab and put the glass in.  I have been and still am struggling to get the cab to sit "all the way down" onto the frame so the bed lines up.  I've narrowed it down to the interior tub and have been grinding away on the windshield and the leading dash edge that tucks up to the glass.  Getting close but not quite there.  I trimmed down the wipers to a reasonable thickness and installed the master cylinder in the engine bay.  I began wiring up the starter solenoid and bat cables. Will post more as I go.  Thanks for looking and commenting! 

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Update!   I created some mirrors using my "for sale" sign and some wire.  I created some mud flaps from the same sign and also the angle iron used to mount the mud flaps.  This build is to join my others I have built in the last few months, with the theme of "A day in 1979" with daily drivers as I remember them.  I am planning a massive diorama for these kits but it is a ways down the road as my plan still has many more vehicles to build.  I am near completion but still have lots of little things like antenna, wipers, gas cap etc. The engine bay is complete for the most part except maybe a "die hard" decal on the battery.  I resolved my fit issues with the cab and bed alignment.  It turned out to be a combination of the cowl and the tub not cooperating.  Thanks for looking and as always your comments are welcome!

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

Great job on that truck! You're right about the dash pad, it really should be there. Another item is the door drip molding curling back at the bottom when it gets to the bottom of the cab roof. The molding should go straight down. The door gap doesn't sweep back until it is below the molding, not near the bottom of the molding. Nonetheless, you're build is really nice, especially the engine compartment. Excellent.

Moebius Drip Molding.jpg

• 1 month later...