Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone make a resin 1 ton dump bed

For those interested in how to make square corners when gluing two pieces of flat sheet together there are some neat tools out there for doing that.  Micro-Mark carries a special jig/frame for making square corners and they also have a set of machinist's blocks that you can lay pieces up against for gluing.  That's what I use and will show some pix of how it's done.

7 hours ago, socal76 said:

fordf-100, there is one I saw on e-bay after I left the forum. It is by bcs-trading. It looks about perfect for what you are describing for your needs. And it is made of styrene. But only listed on e-bay and in their e-bay store.

Will definetly check this out! If its a good deal I will go with it otherwise I have been thinking of scratch building one.

I did a mockup last night out of a thicker card stock, It went pretty well and doesnt look that bad. It is to long looking and to wide for the truck, also to tall in the front!

I was going with lower sides and then add some scale 2 x 6 boards to the sides which is a pretty common sight!

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

truck3.jpg

Looks pretty good. I have seen those dump beds in lengths from 8'- 12', just depends on the wheelbase of the truck. As far as width, they tend to be a foot wider on each side of the cab and sit over the dual rear wheels. I would say your's is looking pretty good, maybe shorten the front and the tailgate and the length and away you go! I am working on some ideas, I will try to finalize them while I travel this week and see about starting on my build.

19 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Looks pretty good. I have seen those dump beds in lengths from 8'- 12', just depends on the wheelbase of the truck. As far as width, they tend to be a foot wider on each side of the cab and sit over the dual rear wheels. I would say your's is looking pretty good, maybe shorten the front and the tailgate and the length and away you go! I am working on some ideas, I will try to finalize them while I travel this week and see about starting on my build.

I originally started out at 12 foot long and it looked way to long, I cut some off and it still seems a little long. But in the mean time Steve suggested that I take a look at BCS-trading on ebay. He sells a styrene dump bed for $35.00. It comes already assembled but he said they need some finishing work, sanding etc. I bought one to see how it is and will post some pics when I get it. He has a bunch of other stuff that looks pretty cool and reasonably priced with 100% positive feedback.

By all means shorten it up, lower the sides and the piece over the cab.  If you indent the sides of the body and use some stiffeners along the sides it won't look quite as boxy or wide.  I have some photos of one I built if they would be of any help.  In the meantime here are a couple of pix on squaring up the sheet stock.

100_9583.thumb.JPG.35c692d9e3fd7523b4eda17b002b2365.JPG

In the first one I've used a large machinists block on a glass plate.  Just run some superglue along the joint and let it set up.  The main thing is to have square pieces to start with and then make sure that both sit flush on the glass place otherwise you will have to add some putty to clean up the edge.100_9584.thumb.JPG.c815f60a5a37625d161e45c288dcfa6e.JPG

Just another way of doing it.  I placed two machinist blocks at right angles to each other so you can glue up the joint the same way.  You can imagine the bottom of a dump body sitting on the glass plate with a side and rear vertical pieces to be glued up this way.

14 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

By all means shorten it up, lower the sides and the piece over the cab.  If you indent the sides of the body and use some stiffeners along the sides it won't look quite as boxy or wide.  I have some photos of one I built if they would be of any help.  In the meantime here are a couple of pix on squaring up the sheet stock.

100_9583.thumb.JPG.35c692d9e3fd7523b4eda17b002b2365.JPG

In the first one I've used a large machinists block on a glass plate.  Just run some superglue along the joint and let it set up.  The main thing is to have square pieces to start with and then make sure that both sit flush on the glass place otherwise you will have to add some putty to clean up the edge.100_9584.thumb.JPG.c815f60a5a37625d161e45c288dcfa6e.JPG

Just another way of doing it.  I placed two machinist blocks at right angles to each other so you can glue up the joint the same way.  You can imagine the bottom of a dump body sitting on the glass plate with a side and rear vertical pieces to be glued up this way.

Thanks! Good info for scratchbuilding, I never thought about using machinist blocks to square it up. If I end up scratchbuilding the bed I was planning on moving the sides in and then adding a rail on the top and bottom, basiclly framing it in with a little smaller set of rails going down the sides as stiffeners. Thats what most beds look like in all the searchs I have been doing.

Hey guys I wanted to post some pics of the dump bed I got in the mail yesterday from bcs-trading. Steve mentioned in this thread that he saw one on ebay from bcs-trading, i looked into it and it looked pretty nice so I went ahead and bought it for $34.99 with free shipping! I am really pleased with it! It needs a slight amount of finish work (which he states in the listing) but overall it is very nice! The gate works as well as having the lift mechanism work! I cant speak to the accuracy of this to a real dump bed but I am super happy with it! It is also made of styrene plastic and comes fully assembled! Check out his other truck stuff on ebay, I would not hesitate buying from him again and even though I'm not a big truck builder he does offer some other stuff I'm interested in such as a flat bed, some car stands, engine hoist and some towing stuff!

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187 (2).jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

1 minute ago, mikemodeler said:

Looks pretty good. I have seen those dump beds in lengths from 8'- 12', just depends on the wheelbase of the truck, what does that one measure out to be?

I might try replicating that, doesn't look too difficult.

Mike, I will measure it tonight and let you know. I didnt really think about what length it was! It looks "right" to me for something you would see as a landscape truck or something.

Overall he does a really nice job and has some other cool stuff!

21 minutes ago, fordf-100 said:

Mike, I will measure it tonight and let you know. I didnt really think about what length it was! It looks "right" to me for something you would see as a landscape truck or something.

I saw his stuff on eBay and those wreckers look nice, might have to splurge and get one or two!

5 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Looks pretty good. I have seen those dump beds in lengths from 8'- 12', just depends on the wheelbase of the truck, what does that one measure out to be?

I might try replicating that, doesn't look too difficult.

This measures 4 3/4" long which is roughly 10 foot. Width is 3 1/2" looks great sitting on the truck!

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

5 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

I'd say that looks pretty darn spot on! Making me think about just buying one instead of building one.

I do want to add wood to the bed sides, there are tail lights on it but I think I will update them and some other small details! I also have been thinking about painting, should I go silver or same color as the body? What do you guys think?

Black might look good, especially with a little rust and grime. Nothing to heavy! I am hoping to get this cleaned up and primed soon. Not sure about the cab color yet or what type of truck, landscaping or plumbing or something else. Lots of possibility's! Does anyone know if any kits came with shovels, picks, or digging tools? I thought I had seen some before but the mind aint what it used to be!!!

Italeri used to make a detailing kit with those sorts of things.  Unfortunately they were not very good.  For landscaping you need rakes, long handle pointed shovels, brooms, trimmers, a couple of baskets for trimmings, a small lawnmower, all kinds of goodies.  Some can be scratch built.  Others not so easy.  Try the websites that cater to G Guage railroad equipment.  They have a good supply you could look through.  G Guage is the same as 1/24 so it wouldn't be far off for scale.  Only about 4%.

14 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Italeri used to make a detailing kit with those sorts of things.  Unfortunately they were not very good.  For landscaping you need rakes, long handle pointed shovels, brooms, trimmers, a couple of baskets for trimmings, a small lawnmower, all kinds of goodies.  Some can be scratch built.  Others not so easy.  Try the websites that cater to G Guage railroad equipment.  They have a good supply you could look through.  G Guage is the same as 1/24 so it wouldn't be far off for scale.  Only about 4%.

Thanks Charles, thats a good idea to look into the G gage railroading. Theres a big train hobby shop that might have some of that stuff!

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:40 AM, fordf-100 said:

Hey guys I wanted to post some pics of the dump bed I got in the mail yesterday from bcs-trading. 

Just recently received the same dump from bcs trading, I agree, its excellent. Finally have a bed for my '60 F 350.

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

Edited by leafsprings