Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone make a resin 1 ton dump bed

On 4/23/2018 at 11:34 AM, modelercarl said:

Received the bcs-trading 1 ton dump bed and am in the process of building a landscape company version with the Monogram F-350 Dually pickup.  Got everything primed and did a mockup to double check how it will look for compatibility.......

012.JPG

013.JPG

Nice! I like the wood on the sides! Any issues with prep and paint?

No issues at all.  Someone mentioned in a prior post about clean up on the cut edges on the dump bed, but I didn't find that much to be a factor.....a really nice piece of work and in my opinion the fit with the Monogram dually is perfect.  I had to add 4 strips across the rear frame rails to provide a level "platform" for the bed.  I used the crossmember supports that would normally go on the bottom of the pickup bed (in step 27).

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, fordf-100 said:

Where did you get the rims and tires?

The wheels and tires are from the Fujimi wheel and tire kit off ebay. They are 1 32 scale big rig wheels, but when you tuck them under a fender of a 1 25 scale 1 ton the look perfectly at home. I used this set because they have the same 6 hand holes as mid 50's to mid 60's 1 ton Fords.  70's 1 tons used the 4 hand hole design. I knifed a little material  out the round hand hole edges to get more of a D shape look. The tires are very nice and meaty as well.

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

Charles (chariots of fire), I sure wish I lived a whole lot closer to you. I would invite you over for a steak dinner in an exchange for an hour of lessons from you. I would probably advance my skills more in that hour than I have in the rest of my almost sixty years of living! Your ideas make some seemingly complex projects turn into something routine (at least with your skill set). But they do make me try things I might be reluctant to without the instructions you provide in your WIP posts.

The weather has FINALLY warmed up here in Michigan so painting can be done.  Got  most of the painting done on my build of the Monogram F-350 with the bcs-trading 1 ton dump bed and did a mockup to see how everything looks.  I like the way it is coming together.  Now to get the "detail" stuff done and mounted.  Ordered decals for it also.....more news later.

021.JPG

020.JPG

On 4/30/2018 at 4:32 PM, modelercarl said:

The weather has FINALLY warmed up here in Michigan so painting can be done.  Got  most of the painting done on my build of the Monogram F-350 with the bcs-trading 1 ton dump bed and did a mockup to see how everything looks.  I like the way it is coming together.  Now to get the "detail" stuff done and mounted.  Ordered decals for it also.....more news later.

021.JPG

020.JPG

That is looking really good! Nice job!

A couple of mock up pics. I moved the rear wheels back a little, looking at some trucks from this era the rear wheels seemed further back than the stock location. I also slightly raised the front and rear suspension. I have been looking to see where the gas tank would be on a truck like this, any ideas? Would they have the stock pickup tank in the stock location? Also I was wondering about the exhaust, I think it exits before the rear tires, not sure though. Comments welcome!

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

I believe the gas tank would be located in the usual position, likely on the frame with a filler neck coming up under the dump bed. Some internet searches should give you an idea of where to locate the tank and filler neck. The exhaust could be either a short run with a muffler ending just past the cab or a full exhaust ending after the tires, similar to a stock pickup exhaust. Internet searches will probably yield a bunch of different images and it's really up to you as to how you want to run it.

It does look better with the rear axle set back a bit, have you thought about mud flaps?

4 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I believe the gas tank would be located in the usual position, likely on the frame with a filler neck coming up under the dump bed. Some internet searches should give you an idea of where to locate the tank and filler neck. The exhaust could be either a short run with a muffler ending just past the cab or a full exhaust ending after the tires, similar to a stock pickup exhaust. Internet searches will probably yield a bunch of different images and it's really up to you as to how you want to run it.

It does look better with the rear axle set back a bit, have you thought about mud flaps?

Thanks for the tips on the tank and exhaust , l looked a little bit on the internet but I just searched ford 1 ton dump and didn't get any great shots of what I was looking for, I'll try a more specific search. I'm going to put on mud flaps, I was trying to think of what to use so the looked like slightly flexible rubber like a real flap, thought about trying to find some thin rubber but I also want to either decal or paint something on the flaps like Ford or a company that makes dump bodies!! Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Finally got some time on my dump truck! I painted the dump bed from BCS trading with no problems, a little light sanding was about all the prep work I did and also got some paint on it. I have a question about the forum, this thread started out as a question for a resin dump bed, I found a dump bed and have been working on the truck, should I move this to the truck workbench section? If so how? Or should I start another thread there?

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one I built using an AAM resin conversion kit.  I built it in 1995 using 1993 issued AMT kit 6835 1993 Ford F150 Flareside pickup combined with All American Models resin conversion kit, which included the one ton wheels & tires, dump box and long wheelbase chassis. The front suspension from the F-150 was modified to raise the front end height and the heavier rear axle and suspension are from the parts box. Front bumper and grille were modifed to base level, argent painted components. Color is Krylon industrial orange.

DSCN4676.JPG

DSCN4678.JPG

DSCN4679.JPG

DSCN4681.JPG

DSCN4682.JPG

DSCN4684.JPG

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:25 AM, socal76 said:

Charles (chariots of fire), I sure wish I lived a whole lot closer to you. I would invite you over for a steak dinner in an exchange for an hour of lessons from you. I would probably advance my skills more in that hour than I have in the rest of my almost sixty years of living! Your ideas make some seemingly complex projects turn into something routine (at least with your skill set). But they do make me try things I might be reluctant to without the instructions you provide in your WIP posts.

I'd take you up on the steak if we did live closer, believe me!  Been at it a while so experimentation has been part of the process over the years.  I'm always looking for things to see how they might work to my advantage.  When I do find something that works, however, I tend to stick with it.  No sense in re-inventing wheels.  Casting them works though.:)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 8:04 PM, maxwell48098 said:

Here's one I built using an AAM resin conversion kit.  I built it in 1995 using 1993 issued AMT kit 6835 1993 Ford F150 Flareside pickup combined with All American Models resin conversion kit, which included the one ton wheels & tires, dump box and long wheelbase chassis. The front suspension from the F-150 was modified to raise the front end height and the heavier rear axle and suspension are from the parts box. Front bumper and grille were modifed to base level, argent painted components. Color is Krylon industrial orange.

DSCN4676.JPG

DSCN4678.JPG

DSCN4679.JPG

DSCN4681.JPG

DSCN4682.JPG

DSCN4684.JPG

Awesome build, looks great! What did you use for mud flaps on the rear ?

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, maxwell48098 said:

Here's one I built using an AAM resin conversion kit.  I built it in 1995 using 1993 issued AMT kit 6835 1993 Ford F150 Flareside pickup combined with All American Models resin conversion kit, which included the one ton wheels & tires, dump box and long wheelbase chassis. 

Really like this one,  everything blends together very well. 

• 3 weeks later...

A.J., would really be nice to see Photoshop version of your truck and f100's side by side. Different trucks and different beds would make a nice "growing" landscape company dio! Now if there were some Dodge kits to do the same idea that would be great for me. Yeah, just what I need another project!!!!!!