Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone make a resin 1 ton dump bed

21 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Hey guys does anyone know a good source for a 1ton resin dump bed?

our club is having a dump truck project and I thought I would do a smaller

landscaping truck. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

21 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Danny at Scenes Unlimited is working on one, not sure when he will have it ready, drop him a line and get an update.

Thanks, I checked the website and he didn't have any but I'm going to contact him and see if he will have any available.

4 minutes ago, fordf-100 said:

Thanks, I checked the website and he didn't have any but I'm going to contact him and see if he will have any available.

Yes, email him. He was working on a prototype last fall, I am sure he is still planning on it but probably got busy. 

On 2/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

Why not scratch build one?  There are plenty of images you can find on line for that sort of thing.  And they are a dime a dozen out on the streets so they could be photographed and measured up.  A bunch of rectangular pieces for the most part.

I thought about trying that, it would be a first attempting something like that. I dont think getting the measurements or pictures or referance material would be all that hard, I would be more concerned with getting everything "square" on the basic body. I think the best way would be to build a fixture to hold everything where it needs to be then move on to the "details".

I also thought that after everything was glued together taking a small tip soldering iron and trying to replicate welded seams, might look pretty cool!

But on the other hand it would be a LOT quicker to get a resin one for $40 !!!!!!

5 hours ago, Casey said:

If you make the dump bed out of brass, the melted solder will do a pretty good job of looking like a fully welded joint in 1/25 scale, and you could use clamps to hold everything until it's square and ready to be soldered.

That would make a realistic and solid dump bed, could bend up the metal so it looked liked a well used bed. I think that is way beyond my skill level!! I'm amazed at the work people on this forum do in brass!!

5 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

I thought about trying that, it would be a first attempting something like that. I dont think getting the measurements or pictures or referance material would be all that hard, I would be more concerned with getting everything "square" on the basic body. I think the best way would be to build a fixture to hold everything where it needs to be then move on to the "details".

I also thought that after everything was glued together taking a small tip soldering iron and trying to replicate welded seams, might look pretty cool!

But on the other hand it would be a LOT quicker to get a resin one for $40 !!!!!!

If you don't have a good razor saw and miter box to make square cuts, that will cause your project to not be square. Some people have created a jig out of small pieces of wood and used it to keep a project square during construction. 

Like you, scratch building something like that is somewhat intimidating but I am willing to give it a try. I like to use some thin cardboard to get a feel for what it would look like before cutting up a pile of plastic. With that said, Jeff's bed sounds reasonably priced and a whole lot easier!

2 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Good point on making straight cuts, that would help in keeping it square! If I can't get a resin bed it would be very satisfying to scratch build a bed...as long as it looked decent!!!!

Get your measurements of the length x width of the body floor.  Square that up.  Do you know how to use a couple of drafting triangles to get good right angles?  Same technique for the back and sides.

Photo 1 shows how to get right angles using a simple square.005.thumb.JPG.707ced60d9e2e69f6c54f8180a7d74c5.JPG

Photo 2 and 3 shows how to get parallel lines.  First you place the bottom triangle on the line you have just drawn.  Hold firm and place the second triangle up against it on an adjacent side.

012.thumb.JPG.5b3cbd7daf838f5056cb986c559223dd.JPG

Next you hold the left triangle firm and slide the first triangle along it until you get to the point where you want to draw the parallel line.

013.thumb.JPG.2d5b8e0d744d8fa0a8cc27a15512359d.JPG

Want to make a line perpendicular to the two parallel lines?  Choose a point like in the next photo and place the edge of the right hand triangle up against the line with the point on it.  Now hold the left triangle firm and slice the right hand triangle down until the right edge is at the point in the next photo.

015.thumb.JPG.92401cb7d1dd737ad12f527873633c91.JPG

016.thumb.JPG.ba3fdeda9bd69074d024bf727b397f4b.JPG

Draw a line against the far right edge of the right hand triangle and it will be at 90 degrees to the two parallel lines.  NOTE:  The two edges of the triangle you are using are at right angles to each other so that is why it works.

017.thumb.JPG.1eb50279a901dcfdeea1a681c44c78bc.JPG

Use this technique to make the bottom, sides and back of the body.  All you have to do is choose your dimensions.  If you are working in 1/25 scale get a metric ruler that measures in millimeters.  If you measure the real body in real inches there is no conversion necessary.  For example a body length of 108" would be 4.32" in 1/25 scale.  Since there are 25.4 mm in one inch there is an insignificant difference so that 108" would be 4.25".  The difference is only 0.07"!  Can't hardly mark that with a pencil!  So just mark off 108 mm and there you have it!B)

Edited by Chariots of Fire

9 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Only way to learn is to do it. Easier to spend the $40 on a resin one, but more satisfying to have one you made yourself.

This is really not a bad beginners scratch building project, most of the one ton dump beds tend to be little more than a box.

Thanks for all the tips and info guys!! I am not to concerned about laying out the bed parts, more with getting a nice straight cut and fixturing the pieces square while gluing.

I might try and make some cardboard templates and see if I can get a decent mock up. If a resin one comes along soon ill probably still get it!!!!!

To get a straight cut use a straightedge and the back side of an Xacto blade.  Draw the Xacto blade across the line to be cut with several even strokes that will scribe a little of the plastic away a bit at a time.  Once you are most of the way through you should be able to snap the pieces apart easily.  Then just touch up the edge with a sanding stick (not just sandpaper).  The sanding stick will help keep the cut edge straight.  I'll post some pics on how to glue up pieces squarely and with very little glue.