Model Cars Magazine Forum

glue tip haedening

There is gonna be different types of bottles sold for hobby usen the ones branded for your hobby store. Particularly I bought some thick slow cure that has a metal pin installed in the cap so it will insert into the bottle opening. Now I am not sure if it came with this or it was a replacement cap an nozzle the sell along with the glue. I can look on Hobbytown website if it is listed or do a search for replacement tops for glue bottles.

Some have been mentioning ways to apply superglue. A sewing needle (the end with the eye) works great for precision application of super glue. The eyes hold a tiny amount of superglue and capillary action pulls it to the parts you’re gluing together.

On 2/11/2018 at 12:08 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

This product seems to be pretty much immune to the problem...

Image result for loctite toughened gel

Having used CA glues in model building since the 1980's (Goldberg Jet) i've found that the thicker consistency CA's do not set up nearly as rapidly as the original formulae, very thin consistency will.  Having said that, I use needle tip extensions (Bob Smith Models) which have a full inch or so of approximately 1/64" inside diameter tubing that is at least an inch long.  When sitting for any length of time, a 32nd inch or so hardened plug will form at the end of that tube--to clear it, I simply slice that portion which is plugged, off with my Xacto knife.  These tips come a dozen to the pkg,  very inexpensive, when I see them in a hobby shop, I buy 4-6 pkgs (12 to the package) just so I never run out.   Been using them since the 1980's.

Art

Try this.

When you're done with your modeling session,  touch the tip to a tissue to draw the excess glue out of the tip. Dab a small amount of Vaseline onto the tip and then cap it off and put it in the freezer of your refrigerator. The cold keeps the glue from drying and the Vaseline keeps it from sticking to the tip. Anything else can easily be cleared out with a pin.

Hope this helps.