Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Ramcharger-Plymouth Traildust hood and grill wanted

Does anyone make a hood and grill conversion for the 1/24 scale Revell Dodge Ramcharger? The 1980 grill hood combo is butt ugly, I would like to back date the truck to an early-mid 70s Ramcharger or Trailduster.

The Revell Trucks re-release is great, but the grill and hood suck. I had hoped to use a AMT Lil Red Express hood and grill, but found out that they are too small and would be more work than its worth to correct.

So, does anyone make the hood and grill in resin? I would love to build something like this:

Dodge-Ramcharger-1974-Ramcharger-Lance-a

or this:

cb75b8c58f10c0581c37ba84a9cabcec.jpg

Any leads or help would be great, thanks.

• 2 months later...

It would be easier for you to section the back of the 1/24  Ramcharger to fit the 1/25 AMT/MPC Dodge kits and build the year of Ramcharger you want. I’ve been contemplating this myself as I used to own a 78 and always wanted a model of it , had a 77 Power Wagon as well!

• 4 months later...

Little update...

started to complete the collection of grilles for the 1/24 Revell 80´s Ramcharger.

Did a 77´s and a 80´s with round headlights.

77_Ramcharger_3d.jpg.73620169a3410d2c43c8c78514ce342b.jpg

80_Ramcharger_3d.jpg.99ba090627d8376846332fd632d6944b.jpg

Still working on the 84´s too.

Thanks for looking and hope you like it.

Rico

Edited by camaro69

Sure I can...

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ra-sti-acute-s-scale-accessories

If you have any questions or suggestions for other parts feel free to let me know. It only takes time to do this because of my two regular jobs.

Designing parts for 3d-printing is only hobby for me. It´s to stay in contact to my modeling software and level up my skills.

But I want to expand my assortment for sure. There are so much kits out there that need some attention...:D

I had so many requests during the last months that I have enough work till christmas I think... Hope I become faster.

But I try to help anybody who asks for.

Best regards, Rico

On 2/11/2018 at 10:30 AM, Oldmopars said:

Does anyone make a hood and grill conversion for the 1/24 scale Revell Dodge Ramcharger? The 1980 grill hood combo is butt ugly, I would like to back date the truck to an early-mid 70s Ramcharger or Trailduster.

The Revell Trucks re-release is great, but the grill and hood suck. I had hoped to use a AMT Lil Red Express hood and grill, but found out that they are too small and would be more work than its worth to correct.

So, does anyone make the hood and grill in resin? I would love to build something like this:

Dodge-Ramcharger-1974-Ramcharger-Lance-a

or this:

cb75b8c58f10c0581c37ba84a9cabcec.jpg

Any leads or help would be great, thanks.

I have been wanting to do a couple of these myself...we once owned a few of the early ones. Main issue is finding the early 70s pickup parts to do them with.

9 minutes ago, disabled modeler said:

I have been wanting to do a couple of these myself...we once owned a few of the early ones. Main issue is finding the early 70s pickup parts to do them with.

Hi Mark,

go to my shop (link above) and you´ll find the ´74 Ramcharger and Trailduster grilles and hoods.

If there are other parts missing please feel free to let me know.

Rico

10 hours ago, camaro69 said:

Sure I can...

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ra-sti-acute-s-scale-accessories

If you have any questions or suggestions for other parts feel free to let me know. It only takes time to do this because of my two regular jobs.

Designing parts for 3d-printing is only hobby for me. It´s to stay in contact to my modeling software and level up my skills.

But I want to expand my assortment for sure. There are so much kits out there that need some attention...:D

I had so many requests during the last months that I have enough work till christmas I think... Hope I become faster.

But I try to help anybody who asks for.

Best regards, Rico

I think I bought your parts back in spring! I have the kit on the bench and it's nearing completion. Pics soon!

Well, I am making progress on this one. Here is the truck with the Plymouth grill in it. I would have to say, don't bother with the headlights. The Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail is way to frosted to male good headlights. I tried to polish them, hit them with Future, clear, etc. Nothing worked. I just used some from another kit I had.

The hood is not pictured here but it is done. I had to use a lot of filler to get the printed lines to not show through the paint. I also added under structure to it to keep it from a reversed curve.

All in all I am thrilled with the parts and will buy them again. Rico does fantastic work. I am only pointing these things out so that anyone buying them does not expect that they are like kit parts. They are not injection molded, but printed in layers and this does cause problems. As of right now, you can not print "optically clear" parts, or print without layers. It in the nature of the beast. 

IMG_0061.JPG

@ Scott:

Thank you very much for these informations. Maybe you could tell us which headlight lenses you used.

In case of the hood your prototype was without the underhood structure. That´s why I really appreciate your positive feedback.

After your first message I added the underhood structure so it should be better now.

BTW your grille looks fantastic. I really like how it turned out. Is it already glued in? If yes which glue did you use?

@Dan:

Thank you too.

I´m really happy if you are satisfied with my parts.

Best regards, Rico

8 hours ago, camaro69 said:

@ Scott:

Thank you very much for these informations. Maybe you could tell us which headlight lenses you used.

In case of the hood your prototype was without the underhood structure. That´s why I really appreciate your positive feedback.

After your first message I added the underhood structure so it should be better now.

BTW your grille looks fantastic. I really like how it turned out. Is it already glued in? If yes which glue did you use?

@Dan:

Thank you too.

I´m really happy if you are satisfied with my parts.

Best regards, Rico

I have not glued in the grill yet, I still have a lot of details to do on the rest of the truck first, it was just sitting in there.

As for the headlights, they were left overs from a Italari kit, either a Scania 143 or a Iveco Stralis. They were in my parts box. They were clear with no detail on them, so I carefully scratched them one way then turned 90 degrees on some rough sand paper to give them some cross hatch fluting. However it did not show up well because I used some clear Elmers glue and the details went away. I also used Molotow Chrome behind them.

The next one I do, I may use BMF on the grill to give it a more Aluminum look. I painted this one and it looks good, but could be better with BMF, it will just be hard with all the details.

• 3 weeks later...