Model Cars Magazine Forum

Someone say "D" Type ?

Just now, Ace-Garageguy said:

I believe the Strombecker body MAY be from the Merit tooling. Other Merit bodies have ended up marketed as slot cars, so it's not too far fetched.

Bill, no the Strombecker kit was one of a series they produced themselves in 1957-58 (The D-type, Scarab Mk1, Lancia-Ferrari F1, Maserati 250F, Mercedes-Benz W-196, and the only 1/24th scale MGA I have ever seen--all these were 1/24th scale, with poseable steering, rubber tires, and were motorized, powered by C-cell batteries.  They were designed to run free (hence the ratcheted poseable steering) or on a straight string nailed down to asphalt, or in a circle with a battery-carrying pylon to control the car as it ran in circles.  These models, given their motorized nature, had no cockpit detail, just the driver figure from the arms up, in the same manner as Strombecker's (and others) plastic bodied slot cars of the 1960's.  They were pretty accurate, especially for their day, BTW.

Art

Here’s why you have to go to the Philly NNL, being held at the Simeone Foundation Museum. These were pics snapped on a demonstration day, where they got out and ran their D Type. After the demo, they opened it up and allowed us to get right up close to the car...

82B3A469-817F-4785-8F48-E5A9DEB31267.jpeg

B045A041-9B35-4C4C-B093-F2FC2BDAED05.jpeg

F2AFEA70-6B1B-4B05-A544-8D0079F771AA.jpeg

66C596F3-40BC-4BD0-9ADF-FBEA043426F8.jpeg

1625821A-776E-4917-9C05-F09762DDAA74.jpeg

CFF01532-5CDC-40DD-9ED5-E4BFF8D247E9.jpeg

Fisher Model and Pattern have had a resin D type in their catalogue for years. I've got one here and its a very nice kit.

http://www.fishermodels.com/product/d-type-jaguar-1955-124?tid=2

Profil 24 also make a more advanced kit. i've never seen one in person so couldn't comment on its quality.

http://www.profil24-models.com/model-kits-modeles-reduits/en/gamme-au-1-24e/257-jaguar-type-d-le-mans-1957.html

Edited by Roncla

I've got the predecessor to the Fisher D Type (Dragon Model Works) and I've got to improve my resin mojo before I attempt it.  Its a bit rough.  I also have the Revell XK-SS kit and was considering doing it as an Ecurie Ecosse racer but am now thinking of doing an homage to Steve McQueen after having seen his original last month at the Petersen Museum in LA.  That means probably getting a Fisher kit to continue with the Ecosse car.  I would almost kill for someone to put out an affordable C-type.  I've always liked the lines of that one better than the D.

Edited by The Junkman

The d-types were one of my favorite sports racecars (when style mattered and racecars were easily identified).  As well as building models, I also collect some diecasts and this 1/18 metal model (mostly stamped metal body) from EXOTO back in 2011 was without a doubt the most I've ever spent on a model (even though it was on sale at the time of my purchase), but It remains, however, the most absurdly detailed model I've ever acquired.  Although some versions of the Exoto D-types are still available from Exoto, the prices are now in the stratosphere. Because of the extensive detail, the model is quite fragile and  just about every time I remove it from its display case, there's some part that I have to fasten back in place.

This particular car evidently won the Reims 12 hour race in 1954, driven by Whitehead and Wharton.

I hope my photos do it justice. This post on D-types seemed like a good time to finally take a few pics of the model.

1-P2140989.JPG

1-P2140990.JPG

1-P2140991.JPG

1-P2140992.JPG

1-P2140993.JPG

1-P2140994.JPG

1-P2140995.JPG

1-P2140997.JPG

1-P2140999.JPG

1-P2141000.JPG

1-P2141001.JPG

1-P2141003.JPG

Edited by traditional

Crumbs! Did it come with a little tiny key to start her up? That's quite an extraordinary model, even at 1/18th scale. I'm not surprised the prices are "stratospheric" given the humber of hours that must go into building one, whatever the rate the fine-fingered oriental lady in the factory is being paid...

best,

M.

6 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Crumbs! Did it come with a little tiny key to start her up? That's quite an extraordinary model, even at 1/18th scale. I'm not surprised the prices are "stratospheric" given the humber of hours that must go into building one, whatever the rate the fine-fingered oriental lady in the factory is being paid...

best,

M.

LMFAO!!!!!!

Thanks to Dale (935K3) for linking to my D Type! I built mine during late 2000 into early 2001. And yes, the ROG Jaguar XKSS was the basis for it. I sure wish I had the internet back then building it...........I must have had at last four books and a magazine article (the basis for it) to help out.

The toughest thing in building mine was painting. Since the car has a monocoque chassis, I had to pretty much paint the car inside out. I painted the aluminum inside first, masked it off with Parafilm, then painted my own mix of British Racing Green on the outside after the interior was built and the basic structure of the car was together. I then covered the body with Parafilm so it could be handled putting everything else together and not damage the paint.

The is one of my favorite road racers of the '50's, and it's a wonder that there's never been a full detail kit of it. It would be a tough choice to say which is prettier......this one or the 1957-'58 pontoon fendered Ferrari Testarossa. My heart say the Jag! :wub:

P5070344-vi.jpg
P5070333-vi.jpg
P5070338-vi.jpg

11 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Thanks to Dale (935K3) for linking to my D Type! I built mine during late 2000 into early 2001. And yes, the ROG Jaguar XKSS was the basis for it. I sure wish I had the internet back then building it...........I must have had at last four books and a magazine article (the basis for it) to help out.

That is truly beautiful, Bill, and inspirational!

These days, though the internet is a fabulous resource, you can probably get away with one book (for the model at least, history is another matter...):

51bxxGAeiiL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

http://amzn.eu/8Y0scDb

Came out last year: I bought mine for £6 in a "remaindered" book shop in the Autumn...

best,

M.

21 minutes ago, afx said:

Jaguar has (25) chassis numbers left from the original (100) planed so they are offering a limited run of band new D types.

Well, if I hit the lottery (unlikely since I never play) that sure would make a nice daily driver, with GT40 #1075 in the garage slot next to it.

Oh well.  

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well, if I hit the lottery (unlikely since I never play) that sure would make a nice daily driver, with GT40 #1075 in the garage slot next to it.

Oh well.  

Bummer is, would it classify as a “new” car? Would it meet bumper and air bag rules for US import? So, see, I just made life easy...not fun or enjoyable in any way, but...

Really is a beautiful design - art and function in one. I’d love to see one in person for scale - looks big until you see somebody in the cockpit.