Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1939/1940 Ford Sedan

topher5150

They were re-released in a Millennium issue in 2000, and are available fairly reasonably, even some of the larger hobby warehouse type outlets have some left in stock, I picked up a few off eBay for less than msrp, including shipping, one of these days I'll drag a couple out and build them, at least one will be on the Revell chassis, just maybe two, one on the convertible street rod, and one on the '40 standard, I hope to build one four door as a memorial to a friend who built a beautiful four door deluxe street rod in full size.

The one in your photo is the most recent issue, (2005) albeit in a retro - 1970's style box.   Like the previous post says, they are common enough that you can probably pick one up for less than today's retail. One caveat; While this kit will build a pretty decent 1940 Ford, it has the wrong wiper location (above the windshield on a 1939), dash, bumpers, wheels, etc to build an accurate 1939 Ford.

The one in your photo is the most recent issue, (2005) albeit in a retro - 1970's style box.   Like the previous post says, they are common enough that you can probably pick one up for less than today's retail. One caveat; While this kit will build a pretty decent 1940 Ford, it has the wrong wiper location (above the windshield on a 1939), dash, bumpers, wheels, etc to build an accurate 1939 Ford.

I'm going to make a '40 Ford standard so that wont be a problem

This kit came out in 1960. This means, unless you really care about a specific box, there are tons of these kits available. Also, the moon hubcaps lost favor in the '70s when mags replaced them.

Another interesting thing is that the engine mount pins in the frame allow engine swapping from other AMT kits;

Buick engine-40 Ford coupe

Olds engine- 39/40 sedan

Chevy 283- 32 Ford coupe

Hemi-32 Ford roaster

312 TBird- 34 Ford

389 Pontiac- 36 Ford

On 12/1/2015 at 10:36 AM, Bob Ellis said:

This kit came out in 1960. This means, unless you really care about a specific box, there are tons of these kits available. Also, the moon hubcaps lost favor in the '70s when mags replaced them.

Another interesting thing is that the engine mount pins in the frame allow engine swapping from other AMT kits;

Buick engine-40 Ford coupe

Olds engine- 39/40 sedan

Chevy 283- 32 Ford coupe

Hemi-32 Ford roaster

312 TBird- 34 Ford

389 Pontiac- 36 Ford

Bob, you are right on the money except for the 34 Ford, it's a 390 T Bird engine. A 312 is a Y Block, the 390 is a big block FE series motor.  The 25 T also has a motor that uses those mounting pins, a fictional big block Lincoln. I think the Moon disks went away in the mid '60s. That is when the neat chromed headers that exit behind the front wheels went away too.

Edited by Dave Darby

Dave, you are correct. I don't know why I thought it was a 312. Only complete chromed engine of the group?

Oh well, 5 out of 6 isn't too bad.

Not only do the engines interchange, but you get 2 engines per kit. A lot of possibilities those old AMT kits had for the builder. This 39/40 Ford is worth buying. A fun kit to build.

I think the Moon disks went away in the mid '60s. That is when the neat chromed headers that exit behind the front wheels went away too.

So, besides the moon discs and headers, are there any other parts from the original issue that would merit seeking one out instead of buying a newer issue?

I have one of these sealed in the "collectors series" packaging... is it worth anything?  I need it for my next project, but if it happens to be somewhat valuable, i will try and find a newer one to open and cut up.  I just haven't seen this particular release at any shows, so i have no idea.

Only other item maybe deleted is the large fender skirts. That is a major '60s custom item.

Fender skirts are in all issues. BTW, that collectors Series issue still has the Moon disks and chromed headers in it. The two kits that had the skirts deleted at some point were the 36 Fords and 40 Ford Coupes.

There is an excellent/highly detailed article on what you need to do to make an accurate '39 Ford DeLuxe conversion in Model Cars Mag from just a couple of months ago.  It also includes info on Bill Coulter's limited production resin '39 Ford DeLuxe using a master from the late Tom Creegar and casting from Don Holthaus.  Highly recommended for those who are interested.  TIM 

PS - I thought the AMT "'39"/'40 Ford Sedan kit lost the wheel skirts during the "Street Rod Series" updates c.1973-75.  If needed, I can go back into my cave and research and confirm/deny this.....TB .    

Edited by tim boyd

The skirts may have been lost with the T-278 "Gasser" issue update from 1969 or 1970.  The box for this issue read "1940 Ford Sedan Gasser", but this kit was not in the series with the cartoon style illustrations, nor did it include the drag strip starting line display base.  Updates for this and subsequent issues included: Cragar S/S wheels replacing the Moon discs, unplated tube headers replacing the chrome ones, (probably) deletion of the skirts, and the addition of a hood scoop and grille filler piece.  I've got the box for this issue but not the kit, and did manage to find the scoop and grille filler later.  A cut line was not added to the underside of the hood(s) despite the inclusion of the scoop.  I think the grille filler piece might actually be in the more recent kits like the Millennium issue, but I'm not 100% sure of that. 

The skirts may have been lost with the T-278 "Gasser" issue update from 1969 or 1970.  The box for this issue read "1940 Ford Sedan Gasser", but this kit was not in the series with the cartoon style illustrations, nor did it include the drag strip starting line display base.  Updates for this and subsequent issues included: Cragar S/S wheels replacing the Moon discs, unplated tube headers replacing the chrome ones, (probably) deletion of the skirts, and the addition of a hood scoop and grille filler piece.  I've got the box for this issue but not the kit, and did manage to find the scoop and grille filler later.  A cut line was not added to the underside of the hood(s) despite the inclusion of the scoop.  I think the grille filler piece might actually be in the more recent kits like the Millennium issue, but I'm not 100% sure of that. 

My AMT/Ertl re-ssues have the skirts. I had the Street Rods series issue when I was a teen, but I don't remember whether or not it had the skirts. Might have to watch eBay and look at the photos next time someone lists one showing the box contents.

• 1 month later...

There is an excellent/highly detailed article on what you need to do to make an accurate '39 Ford DeLuxe conversion in Model Cars Mag from just a couple of months ago.  It also includes info on Bill Coulter's limited production resin '39 Ford DeLuxe using a master from the late Tom Creegar and casting from Don Holthaus.  Highly recommended for those who are interested.  TIM 

PS - I thought the AMT "'39"/'40 Ford Sedan kit lost the wheel skirts during the "Street Rod Series" updates c.1973-75.  If needed, I can go back into my cave and research and confirm/deny this.....TB .    

Do you remember WHICH month that article came out about the conversion?  I don't have a subscription, and Hobbytown near me no longer carries any magazines at all.  Thanks!

Issue #197, August/September 2015.  

F-J, the following comment is not targeted at you, but to all MCM forum members:  If you guys are not subscribing or otherwise reading BOTH of the major model car magazines, you are missing tons of relevant and entertaining info that will significantly increase your enjoyment of the model car hobby.  

There...I've said it.  Please stop and consider for a moment or two....   

Thanks....commercial break is now over.    TIM