Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1966 Mercury Hardtop

Casey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/2/2018 at 2:29 PM, '70 Grande said:

Has anyone built this 66 Mercury kit yet?  Would be interested in seeing some built pics of it or any thoughts on how it goes together. 

I honestly don't think anyone here bought one. :unsure: 

Edited by Casey

Decades ago I bought and built an original issue kit; I did a competent if uninspired job:

5b9326489041e_66merc.JPG.c7e04b9a635e9b4f6f74b5ed84cb3570.JPG

The trim and emblems responded nicely to foiling, and the parts fit didn't give me fits. Only thing I'd modify now would be to cast those molded-in front parking lights and headlights in clear resin. This and the '62 are my favorite Mercs; would love to get a 1/1 someday.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2018 at 9:09 PM, Casey said:

I honestly don't think anyone here bought one. :unsure: Maybe someone will take the plunge soon, though, when the 40% off coupon comes into play. :lol:

Yeah, I didn't buy one...I have the Countdown Series issue and one from maybe 15 years ago..didn't need another one.  Just a straight reissue w/ retro box art, looks like.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, I didn't buy one...I have the Countdown Series issue and one from maybe 15 years ago..didn't need another one.  Just a straight reissue w/ retro box art, looks like.

I think they threw in the mags that they tooled up for the 66-67 Dodge Charger. Something tells me they are feeling a pinch. Not seeing a lot of tool modding lately.

I have one of them. Other than the decals and tires & those 5 Spokes, nothing has changed. It has (oddly to, me) a set of nice Pad Printed Slicks. Strange choice of rubber, IMHO. The Decals are very nice, although the sheet is really pretty small. Molding is nice and crisp though.

I agree with Dave Darby. I see evidence of a slow down too. More kits with just 4 tires, or for and a pair of slicks, when you'd have seen 8 or 10 tires three years ago. The "expanded" decal sheets are getting smaller too. Although to be fair, the decal sheets for the new parts/tools kits look to be large. And, It needs saying that while they may not be to everybody's taste, those three new Shop Tools kits represent a huge tooling investment for Round2.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 9/8/2018 at 2:37 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Decades ago I bought and built an original issue kit; I did a competent if uninspired job:

5b9326489041e_66merc.JPG.c7e04b9a635e9b4f6f74b5ed84cb3570.JPG

The trim and emblems responded nicely to foiling, and the parts fit didn't give me fits. Only thing I'd modify now would be to cast those molded-in front parking lights and headlights in clear resin. This and the '62 are my favorite Mercs; would love to get a 1/1 someday.

You call THAT "uninspired"?

It's bloody brilliant!

• Like 1

I don't know how to put it without causing offence, but travelling Illinois extensively, it appeared to me that Illinoisans have a peculiar sense for colours and decoration I find appealing.

Edited by Junkman

This past week I bought one of these kits at Hobby Lobby on clearance for less than $8.

Since people in this thread (although a long time ago) asked to see one built, here's one that's in my collection. I bought it this way, probably an original issue, or at latest the Countdown Series.   No engine wiring or extra detail, but someone did a nice clean build on this kit! 

1966 Mercury1966 Mercury1966 Mercury

On 8/30/2019 at 8:50 PM, Tom Geiger said:

This past week I bought one of these kits at Hobby Lobby on clearance for less than $8.

Since people in this thread (although a long time ago) asked to see one built, here's one that's in my collection. I bought it this way, probably an original issue, or at latest the Countdown Series.   No engine wiring or extra detail, but someone did a nice clean build on this kit! 

1966 Mercury1966 Mercury1966 Mercury

Looks like an annual based on the wheel covers.  The Countdown series kits had the wheels (inner and outer) reworked to add a slight outer lip, to trap those awful hollow tires that AMT started using back then.

52 minutes ago, Mark said:

Looks like an annual based on the wheel covers.  The Countdown series kits had the wheels (inner and outer) reworked to add a slight outer lip, to trap those awful hollow tires that AMT started using back then.

Thanks Mark for that information.  I thought it was an original annual.  And I'm keeping it just as you see it. It's currently in one of my display cases.