Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod, inspired by a very old book!

Harpo

Browsing my bookshelves, I came across a paperback I bought in 1966, when I was 12.  It's titled "Building and Racing the Hot Rod" by the editors of Hot Rod magazine.  It's filled with wonderful (and now nostalgic) advice on every aspect of hot rods, and I have many fond memories of drooling on the pages and dreaming.  This book and my memories are the inspiration for this build. 

It's also a tribute to my limited resources back then, and as such will use only a Revell Tweedy Pie kit and some spare parts from the last three kits I've recently built: a Gunze Triumph TR3A, a Lindberg Little Red Wagon, and an IMC Ford Coupe.  

No photo-etched parts, no fancy detail kits, just the techniques I used for kit building back then - and it will only feature 1966 and prior components.

I've got the engine pretty much done, it's the Ford 427FE SOHC left over from the 48 Ford kit with a Spalding Flamethrower made from a bit of sprue and brass plug leads.  I think I got the firing order correct...?

HR1.jpg

HR2.jpg

Edited by Harpo

10 minutes ago, geewhiz said:

You passed...pics are great!!!????????

Thanks, and I think I finally got the proper text inserted too!  I was having a real issue with getting this thread to submit, I must have written the forbidden paragraph! 

Yep, I'm pretty sure I got it right.

The Model T rear end would never stand the torque from that 427, so I transformed it into a Halibrand quick change using the stock pushbutton shifter from the Little Red Wagon:

HR8.jpg.cd28d762f7389c922f1a2795e954d66e.jpg

And it's a hot rod, so it never hurts to raise the rear stance just a bit.  A piece of the LRW wheelie stand serves as a spring spacer:

HR10.jpg.475a6d7b1cb32c1ca9b89fe0c2bb3322.jpg

Edited by Harpo

2 hours ago, Harpo said:

Stock Tweedy wheels with IMC 48 Ford caps, stock front tires, IMC Ford rears (with grooves cut to make cheater slicks), oversize rear brake drums using spacers from LRW.

Those make a really good looking wheel/tire combo. I'm on the hunt for something similar - but a smidge larger - for a 1/24 scale project.

Time to address an aesthetics problem; the new engine placement leaves too large a space between front of engine and radiator shell.  I could move the shell back to compensate (last picture), but I'm not sure that's an improvement due to the open space in front of it.  Think I'll try extending the shell and see if that helps the look. 

HR19.jpg.94f24318ba054c53cb358a73d0ab01d9.jpg

HR20.jpg.56270611af3715d7242f36f4a4bc1cd7.jpg

HR21.jpg.682c9e29fb705ca57e8f93d22bbb6199.jpg