Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod, inspired by a very old book!

Harpo

Many thanks to all who have replied! 

I know this isn't the fanciest modeling, but building personal "dream cars" is one the most fun things about this hobby for me.  This is intended to be a completely practical, period correct car with the mods I'd make if I could build it 1:1, and modeled without using any high-dollar detailing accessories. It's easy to buy distributor kits and such , but much more satisfying to twist and bend various scrap plastic bits. 

Got the exhaust system bent and installed today, earplugs required!

HR22.jpg.3b583b6a0158c15fa1a88ad83c7926d9.jpg

Edited by Harpo

A bit more progress, but boring in the pics lol.  Lots of sanding/puttying on the body, reshaped and relocated the steering bracket, finished the radiator, made the floormat.  Also painted the radiator shell and picked out interior colors - 60's stripes!  

HR23.jpg.9068aa87584ef0f3390b8aab33df87b2.jpg

It's been awhile since I've looked in on this project and you've certainly made great strides with it.  Very cool project.  I've never seen that Hot Rod book your using but it looks like you're going to have one fast little T bucket if you can keep the front end on the ground and control wheel spin, lol!!!  Nice work, Garry!!!  I'm looking forward to the push to the finish!!!????????

1 hour ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

What do you think of those createx paints? I picked a few up on sale,  but them stubborn to shoot and clean.

I've tried Parma Faskolor and Createx so far in water based paints, and the Createx works the best - but I'm not at all impressed with either one.  I'm very familiar with airbrush/spray gun use (I grew up in a body shop), but only with lacquer & enamel.  I thought my talents would transfer to these modern paints, but either they are c r a p or I have a lot to learn!

Edited by Harpo

On 2/24/2018 at 2:54 PM, Harpo said:

Steering completed, radiator and shell installed, tires and wheels attached and drying in jig.  I'm not a fan of rolling wheels, I can get more accurate alignment gluing them up solid.

HR24.jpg.788ae58fe598d083dd37ee62ba7f8dce.jpg

Not only that. but having a model roll off of the table/shelf can really take the wind out of your sails.

More progress, but it's amazing how long it takes to turn a Little Red Wagon suspension bit into a shift lever extension.  Great therapy, though.  Car is slowly coming together, workbench now cluttered with possibilities for lights & windshield. 

This is probably my longest build ever, but it's very satisfying using not only correct parts and workable 1:1 car design for 1966, but also limiting myself to modeling techniques available then.

HR27.jpg.f3d020608b96cbb30a6804b65c305bc7.jpg

HR28.jpg.e5829fa570a3fdd3d5c330027694d12b.jpg